Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Cam Choice

Cam Choice

I have a 400 sbc I am going to throw into my truck after a re-gasket, and cam refresh. To keep it with in budget I have to use a flat tappet hydraulic. I would love a roller, but it is not in the budget this year or next either. Plus the truck needs to be running again pretty quickly as the 350 it has very little cranking compression left.

I am looking at Comp cams 268 or 270 cam as they were my favorite years ago, but are they still the best. Or is the Lunati Voodoo series better now.

The engine specs are .40 over 400, Dart 215 iron eagle heads, 10-1 compression, roller rockers, and port matched stealth manifold.

I will be going into my 74 C20 with 3.42 gears along with the previous 2200 rpm stalled TH350. The truck is becoming sort rally truck or pro-touring set-up on a stock height truck to get down dirt roads faster. I will run 265/70/16 AT's so my hwy rpm will be about 2500rpm at 70mph.

Which cam do you think will be best for for my truck, and offer better drive ability for my combo I have at hand. Or do you have other cams I have not looked at that would be fine with my parts?

I am not really concerned about it being great for DD as I have a work truck provided by my employer, but I would like it to be decent enough for when I actually get to drive my own vehicle.
      Sitzungstiefpunkt und fahrend langsam

Country Flag: United States

Cam Choice

I have a comp 244/244 @.050 with .560 lift and 110 LSA, works very well. Sounds awesome and is streetable. I have a th350 with a 3000 stall in it.
      If you didn't know, advertised duration like what you posted doesn't correlate with the .050" duration like I posted so don't get them confused!

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Country Flag: United States
      the comp 268 and 270 are older designs, they work alright but i'd go with the voodoo cam in the specs that you're looking for, there's nothing wrong with the comp cams but i think if you're going to do it you should try to get as much benefit from the cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      I have a comp 244/244 @.050 with .560 lift and 110 LSA, works very well. Sounds awesome and is streetable. I have a th350 with a 3000 stall in it.
      If you didn't know, advertised duration like what you posted doesn't correlate with the .050" duration like I posted so don't get them confused!

-Dale
      I have to stay under .550 lift with my heads with 1.6 rollers. It won't blow the budget, but I'd like to keep it cheap until I can afford what I really want.

Quote Originally Posted by sam 74 View Post
      the comp 268 and 270 are older designs, they work alright but i'd go with the voodoo cam in the specs that you're looking for, there's nothing wrong with the comp cams but i think if you're going to do it you should try to get as much benefit from the cam.
      I thought Comp would of updated their selections.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com