Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

blew my turbo looking for new one and advice.. what works & who to stay away from

I have a 401 Buick Nailhead that is a 409 now and looking to go with a ball bearing turbo in the range of 76mm -80mm. Been reading up on compressor maps and I think I am looking for a air flow rate of 70's and pressure ratio of 1.6-1.8/ I am going to be running from 7-10lbs boost but with some meth would like to bump it up to on special days.

is their any recommendation or companies that you have had poor service with and would not recommend.
      Thank you for your help.

Paul

what happened to the other turbo? what kind/size was that one?

for your cubes, I would recommend a Borg Warner if you have room for it. depending on you price point, a S475 can be had for $650-680, either T4 or T6. If the budget is a bit more, Liljohn motorsports solutions can hook you up with a billet S480. I think they are around 1500 or so, but are capable of tons of power.

If you need a smaller physical size turbo. Huron Speed sells a turbonetics series 7675 turbo in BB for around 1200 ish IIRC. That would be a fast spooling turbo, just would be maxed out around 18-20 psi.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon1015 View Post
      what happened to the other turbo? what kind/size was that one?

for your cubes, I would recommend a Borg Warner if you have room for it. depending on you price point, a S475 can be had for $650-680, either T4 or T6. If the budget is a bit more, Liljohn motorsports solutions can hook you up with a billet S480. I think they are around 1500 or so, but are capable of tons of power.

If you need a smaller physical size turbo. Huron Speed sells a turbonetics series 7675 turbo in BB for around 1200 ish IIRC. That would be a fast spooling turbo, just would be maxed out around 18-20 psi.

Last turbo was a garret to4e 60-1 with a 67mm wheel and a .81ar exhaust turbine. bearings let go and the hit the exhaust housing.I had some oil pooling issues when I had it mounted as a rear mount turbo before and think it damage it. I have the room for a larger frame turbo. The Nailhead isn't a fast revving motor and really is a torque monster.. should I be looking at a larger like a 80mm and try a smaller maybe a .81 or a .96 exhaust ar?? I felt like the other turbo just was'nt big enough for the motor and was choking it to much.
      Thanks for all your input

Paul

The best turbo for the $$ would be then S475 T4 1.10 ar exh. 83mm wheel $649 through forced inductions. If you need questions answered on sizing a bit more contact liljohn. He knows his stuff and works with forced inductions for custom wheels etc.

https://www.facebook.com/LilJohnsMotorsportSolutions
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

Turbonetics 75/75 .115 hotside. I am running a 403 LSX and thats what Huron reccomended for me. Its about 1400.00 from them, and it will spool up quick and make excellent power. Since the VE of a nailhead isnt near what the LS is you should be able to push it farther than me. Best thing to do is to call the MFR.

[QUOTE=Typhoon1015;1025619]The best turbo for the $$ would be then S475 T4 1.10 ar exh. 83mm wheel $649 through forced inductions. If you need questions answered on sizing a bit more contact liljohn.

Just pulled the trigger and bought a s475, t4 83mm wheel with a 1.32 ar. he said with the low rpm and high torque this will be a fast spooling turbo for my setup. very fair price at $849 and a pleasure to deal with .. highly rec.. well the proof is in the power and in a few weeks when I get it I will let you guys know. thank you for your help.
      Paul

Country Flag: Canada
      Best bet would be to call Work turbo chargers, Reed Patridge is the best in the industry and will help you anyway he can. This company used to be referred to as Supernatural Turbos. Try him and feel the results!!

1967 Mustang Fastback pro-touring, 1964 Falcon 347- 76mm a/w turbo, 1957 meteor Rideau 500 Gasser, 1979 F250 4X4
      1966 Mustang Fastback twin turbo 4v mod motor.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com