Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
      GrabberGT, I agree. Thats what I want to see. Dusold, Steilow, many others have the potential to go really quick. Schwartz's TA too.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      As was said, actual low 10's don't extrapolate to potential high 9's and are a WAY off from 8's...Also, when these high HP cars actually hook, that's when parts will start to break. Running 8's with a manual transmission is extremely difficult and clutch set-up become critical.

Nicely done Nathan!

Andrew
      Exactly. Thanks.
      Nathan Shaw
      71 Nova, 1000+whp 5.3, 8 second autoXer.

Country Flag: United States
      As was said, actual low 10's don't extrapolate to potential high 9's and are a WAY off from 8's...Also, when these high HP cars actually hook, that's when parts will start to break. Running 8's with a manual transmission is extremely difficult and clutch set-up become critical.

Nicely done Nathan!

Andrew
      Forgive me because my background isn't in drag racing. i'm used to chipping seconds off all the time. but i do think josh's car is an auto with an air shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by OG_Racing View Post
      Forgive me because my background isn't in drag racing. i'm used to chipping seconds off all the time. but i do think josh's car is an auto with an air shifter.
      In drag racing there is something to be said for "chipping off" some time, but once a combination is optimized and the 60 foot times are as low as they can realistically be, the rest is physics. The HP requirements to run ever faster times are exponential.

What car are you referring to? The silver Vette?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

In drag racing there is something to be said for "chipping off" some time, but once a combination is optimized and the 60 foot times are as low as they can realistically be, the rest is physics. The HP requirements to run ever faster times are exponential.

What car are you referring to? The silver Vette?

Andrew
      yep the silver vette.

I said it earlier in this thread, it would be cool if everyone bolted on a set of slicks or DR's just to see the potential of some of these beasts. I equate hp to what a car can run in a 1/4 mile, not what the builder claims or the dynojet claims.

Quote Originally Posted by 72BBSwinger View Post
      I said it earlier in this thread, it would be cool if everyone bolted on a set of slicks or DR's just to see the potential of some of these beasts. I equate hp to what a car can run in a 1/4 mile, not what the builder claims or the dynojet claims.
      Agreed. The MPH in the 1/4 mile is a very good indicator of HP.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      I have heard that the 'magic' number is 1/4 mile racing is 1350, meaning if you have a 10.0 sec car it should go 135mph [10.0x135=1350] but if your 10.0 sec car goes 140mph [1400] you have a launching issue of some kind. On the other end of the spectrum, if your 10.0 sec car goes 125mph [1250] you have a probable gearing issue. Does anyone know if this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      I have heard that the 'magic' number is 1/4 mile racing is 1350, meaning if you have a 10.0 sec car it should go 135mph [10.0x135=1350] but if your 10.0 sec car goes 140mph [1400] you have a launching issue of some kind. On the other end of the spectrum, if your 10.0 sec car goes 125mph [1250] you have a probable gearing issue. Does anyone know if this is true?
      I've never heard that rule, but it is mostly on point. Although, I doubt that anyone would ever run a 10.xx with a 125 trap speed. Usually then trap speed is way higher than the potential ET due to poor traction.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Wallace Racing has calculators for pretty much everything. Very handy to bookmark it.
      Nathan Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by LS1NOVA View Post
      Wallace Racing has calculators for pretty much everything. Very handy to bookmark it.
      LOL,,,I'm not sure how good those calculators or for ET, MPH , HP are, or I have one exceptional car cosidering 60' foot time is slightly more than 1.97 to 2.0+ secs because engine HO/TQ is not enough to even spin rear 300 Treadwear street tires (not DRs or Slicks) on a preped track. Also TQ converter doesn't have much or any FLASH to speak of.

Wallace Racing Calculators numbers.

Mustang Dyno HP = Weight & HP - Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3564 pounds and HP of 360 is 12.51 seconds and MPH of 108.05 MPH.

DynoJet Dyno HP = Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3564 pounds and HP of 409 is 11.99 seconds and MPH of 112.75 MPH.

Weight & MPH = Your Horsepower computed from your vehicle weight of 3564 pounds and MPH of 120 is 493.19.

Weight & MPH = Your Horsepower computed from your vehicle weight of 3564 pounds and MPH of 117 is 457.12.

ET & Weight = Your HP is 408.67 computed from your vehicle weight of 3564 pounds and ET of 11.99 HP is about what Dynojet Numbers are.

ET 11.97 & 11.99 low / 12.03-12.101 high side. 117 MPH average, highest 120 MPH/11.999 ET

My HP numbers are Mustange, true 1/4 Horse HP, 360 RWHP, from GM LS3 376CI 480 HP rated Hot Cam crate engine. Dyno Jet Shetland pony number is 409 RWHP. If you look at cars weight distribution with 4 gallons of fuel without me in it and with me in it that may help you understand why engine can't spin tires with 48% Front weight and 52% rear weight distribution. Rear gear is 3.55, trans 6X 4L80.

3.55 Rear gear ratio. TCI 6X trans. Cricle D converter stalled at about stock RPM

Street tires, no DR's

Car as ran with dirver weight after run 3564 LBs, without driver 3,339 LBs with less 1/4 tank of fuel.

My new for 2015 Build Goal, is to go 10s in 1/4 mile with less than 400 RWHP on min of 200 Treadware or above street tires. No DRs or Slicks

Your 120mph says it all. Even if you can shave your 60 .40, you're still A LONG way from 10's. My buddy has an LS3/480 in a 67 Bug and it did 419 rwhp through a T56 on a Mustang.

Crusher 2 vette ran [email protected] with no rear spoiler but we still have traction problems 200 tread tires!Going to do some body changes for ls trying for low 9s

Quote Originally Posted by 72BBSwinger View Post
      Your 120mph says it all. Even if you can shave your 60 .40, you're still A LONG way from 10's. My buddy has an LS3/480 in a 67 Bug and it did 419 rwhp through a T56 on a Mustang.
      My new build is all new car. Not the Car I have now. Current car is 337 lbs heavier than a stock 64 Vette Coupe with a cast iron small block. No way to get it into 10's unless I go for way more than 400 RWHP on a Mustang Dyno. So I have to build a new car, with lot less weight. but only increase HP by max of 39. Still want be easy, but anybody can go with big HP and do it. I like a challenge. I may fail, so what, at least I tried something most people would never attemp. But if I succeed, how would you feel if you got beat by a car with 150 to 200 or less HP than yours...?

When it comes to HP of my current build, it's held back by lack of intake air via two things. I use an LS2 Honeycomb MAF instead of LS3 Bayonet style and I don't have 4.0" of air feed it either. I have 6" of air via two 3.0" intake tubes that neck up to 3.5" just before MAF. I never expected to be able to run in high 12s much less low 12s and it was never built to be a drag car only a nice looking driver. Just dumb luck. Think it's I just used right auto tranny to go with a 3.55 rear gear to pull it off, hence the mostly 117 MPH runs even on best ET of 1.973. Only one 120 MPH pass. If I got 60' time down, MPH would most likey drop to below 116 MPH.

Dyno sheet comparing current engine with engine that will be going into new build. It's air feed is via LS2 MAF also and you can see engine is running out of air on top end. Will try and get it to top out a little closer to 400 when we tune it later.

Engine in frame. Notice LS2 MAF.

Build will NHRA up to 9.99 ET, unlike current build which is not legal for current ETs. With trans sheild sitting on 4L80E mockup trans so we can build trans tunnel to fit.

I do my own design clay mockup's to see if I like the look and too give builder idea of what I want.

You can call me old and stupid, I'm 71 year old and just do this to see how they turn out, Vs you younger guys with big packages under the hood...LOL

Well the buddy that has the LS3 67 Bug is 70 something years old too lol.

Thats the old ***** there in the orange shirt. He does things HIS way, and I have nothing but respect for old guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cams-DK View Post
      Crusher 2 vette ran [email protected] with no rear spoiler but we still have traction problems 200 tread tires!Going to do some body changes for ls trying for low 9s
      Very nice! Any video?

Nathan Shaw

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com