Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

390 build questions

I am new to big blocks, I have always been a firm believer in being able to make a sb just as fast as a bb just a lot lighter. BUT that being said my poor little mild 302 has a lot less luster then I would like. I have the option to either keep building it (347 storker, heads, and probably everything else) or I have the option of getting a 390 for free and building it. Would it be worth it?

The car is a 67 coupe, will be used as a street car with the occasional autoX from time to time. Shooting for around 500 to the rear tires, e85, and would like to run a high compression setup around 11.0.

If the 390 is a better bet, can someone point me in the right direction for parts.

i personally would go 347, i have a friend thats big into the 390, and it has a lot of weight and some limitations that you won't have with the 347, being that you're not going for a ton of power the 347 should suit you well, plus if you really wanted to make big power you can turbo or supercharge the 347 with an out of the box kit.

Yea I think I have decided to go with a 408, but do you know anyone making a turbo or twin turbo kit for classic stangs? Every thing I can find is from early 2000's and no one makes one anymore.

i don't recall ever seeing a bolt in kit for a 390 you'll probably have to go universal and make it work, but i'm not a 390 guru so i may have missed a kit thats sitting out there some where. i know STS makes a universal kit and i've seen great numbers from their kits.

I was meaning for a small block, if I went big block I would just go with a high compression nitrous motor. But a buddy that builds big block cars talked me out of going fe because the price.

you are getting pretty close to the limitations of the block if you are putting 500 to the wheels with the stock 302 block. i dont know what the limitations are of the 390 though. i would research the limit of the 390 block then decide. for a mostly street car though the extra torque of the 390 would be nice

a stock FE will usually let go around 600 hp especially if you're revving high. my buddy who's really into FEs said you usually need to cross bolt the mains to get to 600 plus hp and you'll need to block fill at least half way for it to live above 600.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com