Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Crank case vapors look like a steam vent.

Fresh built 406 stroker SBC with less than 100 miles. Changed the oil after initial break in. Have PCV routed to a oil catch can and then into the carb port. At idle the K/N valve cover air filter gets so saturated that it pushed oil out onto the exhaust manifold and is coating under the hood. I have resorted to wrapping a cloth around the filter and swapping it out when it gets too bad but even that if I stop and sit its steams away. I'd rather not have everything coated in oil.

Is this something that will go away or lessen as the motors settles in? Is there another way to get the vapors to just go to the catch can? I assume bigger ID hoses and fitting would work but the carb port is only so big. A riser with additional ports maybe?

Other than this it runs so nice and there is more than enough power to light the tire up in second.

Is the valve cover baffled inside?
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Are you sure you're pulling vacuum through the PCV?
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      Is the valve cover baffled inside?
      Good question. I assume not and the oil is just splashing up in the filter. That might be part of the issue like the saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Are you sure you're pulling vacuum through the PCV?
      Yes I am. After doing some reading I suspect its not pulling enough air through the smallest inside diameter of my system. What worked for the old 305 just isn't enough for the 406 to move the volume of air needed.

So I'm back to square one with my PCV system.

Valve cover was not baffled. But it turns out it looked like a steam was because it was venting steam. Changed the oil and there was water/coolant mixed in. Still pushing too much for my liking out of the breather. Now need to find out why there is water in the oil. Have to keep an eye out on oil to see if it was condensation or from the intake. I suspect the intake because I took compression tests at the cylinders and all averaged 192.

Country Flag: Australia
      if you dont have baffled valve covers you can use these.
      http://www.summitracing.com/search/baffled-grommet/yes

which i am using on my non baffled valve covers with k&n filters
      Mopar or no Car
      Your either with us or Behind us

Those look easier than welding in baffles like my first instinct.

As far as the coolant leak, I head a leaking head bolt that took a while to find but was a very cheap and easy fix. Hope you get as lucky as I was. I found it by pressurizing the system with a coolant pressure tester.

I have a similar motor to yours, mine is also a SBC 400. I used a stock 400 PCV on the pass baffled cover, routed through an oil separator to the carb. I used a 90 deg an fitting on the baffled drivers cover that I routed with push lock hose to a Jaz breather catch can. The results have been great. No oil leaks, the oil stays clean, and the engine compartment stays clean.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com