Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 83 700r4

Country Flag: United States

83 700r4

Ok so I got my stage 2 mad dog transmission out of the car last weekend to find out its a 83 core so now do I salvage the core is it worth it. I have a manual valve body for it and a z pak which I need to return due to it will not work with a pre 88 input drum. Do I upgrade the input drum to a newer one such as a 88 newer drum not the smart drum its not in the budget right now which would mean new torque converter. :( Or do I put it back together and use a different set for the 3/4 drum
      John

72 chevelle SS that really a 71 according to the vin

Hard for me to imagine anyone would sell an '83 transmission for performance. I would encourage you to locate an '87-'92 core and build it. But keep in mind if you already purchased a manual valve body for the '83 that it will not work for the newer core. Also remember that if you try and install the '87 up input drum you will need to change the stator in the pump to work as well as the converter, then be careful with your reverse input drum, check and see what feed hole it has and match it to the stator.

If you have spent the money for parts such s the valve body for the '83, then you can just do the best you can and move forward with building it. You could change the 3-4 apply ring out of the drum with a #7 and run .106 steel plates and quality high energy frictions.

Sorry to hear that you are in this position. If we can help give you some pointers just send us a message and we will do the best we can to guide you the right way.

Good luck.

Thanks,
      Mark

Thank you for the help thats what I was afraid of I am pretty pissed about this but I didnt know what I do now about 700r4 trans
      John

Good news the valve body is good from 82 to 93 but still stuck in a hard spot here
      John

I talked with the builder Mad Dog Trans. he said I could use the z-pack but would only be able to use 9 to 11 clutches in that drum is this possible and how do you feel about this + and -'s?

I have a newer style square whole reverse drum that I will be replacing the old check ball style drum also has square hole will this work if I use a new style alluminum piston?

If I purchased a newer style 30 spline input drum either a used unit from ebay or a new TCI 373932 87-93 700R4 Heavy Duty Input Shaft & Drum Assemblies is this the pump stator the only other part I will need for the conversion besides the torque converter and is this the right part "Pump Stator Shaft Fits 30 Spline / 298mm (6.75")"?

What kind of power do you have engine wise and what is the cars main use (street/strip). Are you in a position to use that one as a core and start over with a newer one (like Mark was talking about)?
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Chris in the 450hp range mainly street driven no desire to run the quarter mile more desire to do a track day at watkins glen or lime rock. So no slicks in the near future.
      John

Just an update here I have been getting parts together to get my build going here my parts list is now
      An 83 core mad dog stage 2 (do not buy a trans from this company I am tempted to go after him for false advertising as the advertised 9 clutches in the 3/4 clutch pack is actually 6 in the drum. We will see what other surprises arise as disassembly is completed.)

A new input drum loaded and pump stator out of a 94 4l60e 4x4

A new reverse drum and an aluminum piston picked up from AAMCO you can always get a loaded reverse drum from ebay

A raybestos zpak

A rebuild kit with new clutches and steels

A tci full manual valve body w/engine braking

I have alto carbon reinforced band standard width and a high energy band that came with the rebuild kit. Should I get a wide band?
      John

Another reason why not to buy a mad dog stage 2 transmission this is my sun shell that came with my transmission. I really guess they don't expect any one to open there transmission up. 3x thicker than stock my @$$ lets try false advertisement and fraud. Its not the beast nor a smart shell. Buy reputable the first time and save yourself money in the long run.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      John

83 700r4

Wow and I was going to take my car to them is there anybody you can trust to do it right the first time !!!! Any idea guys ???

83 700r4

Hey mark thinking about going with a 2004r in my Oldsmobile do y'all have good 2004r that will last I don't race just pro touringtaking long ride on the highway.

I know it has been a while but I really wanted to give Mark Bowler a big thanks I finally got the transmission back in the car around the beginning of June. The transmission runs flawlessly and I couldn't have done it with out you. It was a great experiance, all I have to say to the people who complain about the prices of having a transmission built and go for the cheapest one be prepared. I know how much it costs to build a transmission properly and it is more than what they charge most of the time. I had over a $1000 into mine and help from some good people. Love the spirit of hot rodding.

John

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com