Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

68 Camaro performance rear suspension question

Hi there, im in need of sum advice and opinions from folks out there who have already gone thru this and know the products. Currently working on my first pro-touring car, a car my father and I got years ago together a 1968 Chevy Camaro. So far have repaired the cars body, replaced and gapped most the sheetmetal, had the shell media blasted to bare metal and sealed in epoxy, have smoothed out the factory firewall but will run a vintage air a/c bulkhead with its lines tucked under the passenger fender as the car is a factory air car. Replaced the front subframe with a new stock replacement, but added heidts upper and lower tubular control arms, 2 inch drop spindles, stock coil springs, edelbrock IAS shocks, heidts sway bar, and rack and pinion steering all in the front. NOW my question folks is REAR SUSPENSION?? I want something that is going to offer great performance and not totally wipe out the bank account. Not THAT serious of a race car to tub it out just a nice performance car that will be cruised around in. I still have the orginal 10 bolt mono rear end it came with. Any opinions on rebuilding that, using Detroit Speed mono-multi leaf hardware and running a pair of there 2 inch drop leaf springs? I actually already have rear edelbrock shocks and a hotchkis sway bar for that setup. My biggest concern about it all is getting that PERFECT stance. The other route ive been researching is the Heidts 4 link setup, although have really not seen much about them from other people running them so im a bit skeptical especially given the overall amount of money that wud require after you get the 4 link, axle housing, axles, 3rd member, brakes your looking at near 4-5 grand in a bolt in 4 link rear end. For wheels im looking at a nice dark charcoal wheel like a 5 spoke torque thrust, or rocket racing, thinking 17x7 front and 17x8 in the rear with sum sport BFGs. Anybody out there have a opinion on which route to take here? Im at a point where its time to get this old girl back on the ground under her new suspension with wheels and tires. Question is what rear end setup shud I purchase.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com