Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks Ron!

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      Thanks to all for all the great feedback! I originally thought that running 180 deg oil would be too cool, but it sounds like I was worried about nothing.

AMSOILGUY- From what I have read (and not tested or experienced like Ron and others), engine wear not only occurs at initial startup but also when the oil is cold and has higher viscosity. It still flows when cold, just not very well. I mentioned 10W30 because that seems to be all that is offered in the Amsoil "ZROD" oil. It still seems like a great option, because it is a synthetic. For the sake of argument though, why not run a 0W30 or 5W30? still the same hot oil protection but better flow when cold, or am I missing something?
      What Ron said is why I recommended the Z-Rod over some of AMSOIL'S other products. It's formula is designed for the flat tappet cam in your engine. Z-Rod also has a cold flow rating of -45F which would be +5 degrees before the oil would start to solidify. There can't be to many people starting engines below that temp with performance engines so I bet that is why they don't offer the lower viscosities.

RON- Thanks for the 1st hand input. I am not chasing small gains in HP, just looking to protect my motor. That being said, you have a good point about older SBC clearances VS LS motors. Unfortunately I don't know my bearing clearances because my short block was not built by me. I can only assume that it was built with standard SBC specs. It has been running strong for 7 years so far.

So next oil change I will give Amsoil a shot. My car (with cooler) takes 7-1/2 quarts so it will cost a bit more than the VR1 but way cheaper than a roller conversion. As far as beer- cold and thick is good! A nice stout or wheat please.
      When your ready for that next change take advantage of my offer in the advertisers forum. https://www.pro-touring.com/classifi...cts-99355.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com