Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Turbo Pcv ?? Mike norris setup on turbo application??

just put some miles on my 1966 Buick Skylark with a Nailhead and a t67 turbo with a blow thru setup. I am running into a problem with crankcase pressure. Car just started to smoke and push oil out if the valve cover gaskets. I have a valley pan underneath my intake that is already tapped for a 3/8 barb fitting and i was thinking of running a line from the valley pan to the filter air intake piping on the turbo. Hoping that would create a vacuum . Looking on running a line from the pcv on the valve cover and run it to manifold vacuum. I was looking into the mike Norris catch can but it has only 1/4 npt and wasn't sure if that will be big enough. any help or advice is appreciated. I have been reading for hours and I think this is the way I am supposed to go but want to make sure.

I would suggest dumping the PCV. Running it to manifold vacuum won't help because your positive crank pressure will either push oil into the intake or if boost pressure is higher than crank pressure, not allow any flow. This will create even more crank pressure that would then push oil into your turbo inlet if that's where your planning to run the valley vent. You could run an external crankcase vacuum pump. This is the best solution to your existing wet sump system, but the most expensive. You would need a vacuum regulator to optimize the system. Your next alternative is to plumb the crankcase to an oil separator. Moroso and others make large separators for boosted applications. I'd plumb all crankcase vents to the separator and not plumb any back to the engine. You can mount the can higher than the engine and have a drain back to the valley. You can reuse your PVC as a check valve for the drain, allowing oil from the separator to drain back into the engine when their is no crankcase pressure. These work okay, but still push oil at higher boost levels or poor ring seal.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Or the old school way and run a hose to the exhaust collector. A little messy, but effective.
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Turbo Pcv ?? Mike norris setup on turbo application??

Crankcase pressure has been a frustration for me, too. Besides blowing oil out of the breathers, it keeps pushing out my seal at the rear intake/block seal.

I've been playing with the idea of venting/baffling at the fuel pump block-off plate. It would seem like a pretty direct escape for crankcase pressure, much more than what gets to the valve covers and breathers.

Yet, I've never seen anyone use it. So there MUST be a flaw in the concept that's above my understanding.

Why not weld a tube through the block-off with a can/filter on the outside? Baffle or aim the inside to avoid oil spray. That cavity doesn't fill with oil and it could take pressure from below the cam through the pushrod hole.

My cheap and dirty way was to plum a valve cover to the intake side of the turbo with 3/8" fuel line and a clear fuel filter to catch any oil. It is working for me. I will do a catch can later....
      70 Cougar
      Aces Kill shot efi
      Turbocharged 5.0 430hp 488tq
      Tremec 3550
      13" Cobra brakes
      Unisteer Manual rack

There is a guy that is just an enthusiast that has a site called Mighty Mouse solutions that has some nice little catch cans to be run before the turbo inlet. I have one on my car and it has been doing pretty well so far. It also has a blow off valve built into the top that will vent any pressure if your crankcase blow by exceeds the flow capabilities of the catch can. Pretty trick little piece.

You need a Mann-Hummel Pro Vent. It's OEM-based setup designed for diesel turbos, and they work very well on all kinds of forced induction setups.

Google "Mann-Hummel 200" and you'll be on your way.

John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com