Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Noob Questions

Country Flag: United States

Noob Questions

Couple noob questions about auto x for first time. They may be stupid questions so feel free to make fun of me lol

Tire air pressure. You just run what the tires call for. I run them a few lb under max pressure normal.

Fuel level. Does it matter as long as its not so low you stall the engine on a hard turn.

Shifting. Even though I have an auto I'm assuming I want to run through the gears. I can over power my tires pretty easy

Windows. Best to have all up except drivers?

Lastly do you guys prefer to use one foot or two with an auto.

Thanks

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Noob Questions

So I post these questions in the wrong spot lol?

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Answering in the body of your text ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gratefuldiver View Post
      Couple noob questions about auto x for first time. They may be stupid questions so feel free to make fun of me lol

Tire air pressure. You just run what the tires call for. I run them a few lb under max pressure normal.

Depending on the tire, I run between 30-35 psi and then check the sidewalls to make sure they're not rolling over too much. If the track surface is concrete, this can be a bit more abrasive than asphalt. Take one run with these pressures and then adjust either up or down as handling dictates.

Fuel level. Does it matter as long as its not so low you stall the engine on a hard turn.

It does matter and not every fuel system will tolerate a low level. My S197 Mustang could run with half a gallon in the tank as it had EFI but with a carburetor and mechanical pump, no way. I'd get fuel starvation on turns with even a quarter of a tank so usually ran almost full. Better weight balance, too.

Shifting. Even though I have an auto I'm assuming I want to run through the gears. I can over power my tires pretty easy

I've run both manual and automatics and found that manually up shifting the auto is the fastest way through an autox. Start in low (first) and then bump up and back down as you need to. I like to manually shift the automatic as I've gotten up shifts and down shifts at the most inopportune times letting it think for itself.

Windows. Best to have all up except drivers?

Doesn't matter but if you can take passengers and do, make sure they keep all body parts inside the car during your runs. You might get a DNF or red flagged and lose that run if they don't.

Lastly do you guys prefer to use one foot or two with an auto.

If you adopt left foot braking, practice before you get to the event. If done properly, LFB can be faster than using the right foot for both. It takes a lot of practice to do this properly.

Thanks

Good luck,
      Mary Pozzi
      Last edited by mpozzi; 08-05-2013 at 08:23 PM.
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Noob Questions

Sounds good that's. My fronts call for 50lb and rears at 43lb 275/40/17 and 285/40/17.

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com