Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 442 will these fit

Hey guys, new to the forum. Looking for advice on wheel and tire size for my 68 442. Wondering if this will work without any rubbing. All new stock height suspension.
      Front: 17x8 zero offset with 245/45/17

Rear: 18x9 zero offset with 275/40/18 or 275/45/18
      Will 285 fit on 9” rim and zero offset?

Any ideas or advice appreciated. Thanks.

Name:  IMG_1613.JPG
Views: 839
Size:  469.8 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Hey Shane - nice 442!

Your plan of 17x8 zero offset with 245/45/17 up front should fit no sweat. In the back I'd go with 18x9 zero offset with 275/40/18, a 45 series sidewall will be too much stagger in my opinion, and you may have trouble finding a tire that is available in that size and also in the front size you want. My word of caution though, after putting lower profile tires on you may also want to lower it. Even just a mild drop really helps the look of lower profile tires.

Yes you can run a 284/40 on a 9" wide rim which is the limit in my opinion, you should be careful since they don't all measure the same. As a tire wholesaler I was able to look at & measure all my options and since I wanted a 285 on a 9" wide rim, I went with Continental ExtremeContact DW because the measured distance between the tire beads was less than the GY and Michelin's I was considering, so they wouldn't be pinch in to fit the 9" wide rim.

On my 1969 Cutlass, I have 18x9 front and rear with 255/40 and 285/40, lowered a good 2-3 inches as well. Only slight rubbing at full lock going over curbs. For these Olds you can't listen to any advice about what fits from in the back from guys with 70-72 cars, as those years have more room in the rear wheel well opening.

EDIT: I just looked at my wheels, the offset is 13 but I don't know if that's positive or negative 13.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      Hey Shane - nice 442!

Your plan of 17x8 zero offset with 245/45/17 up front should fit no sweat. In the back I'd go with 18x9 zero offset with 275/40/18, a 45 series sidewall will be too much stagger in my opinion, and you may have trouble finding a tire that is available in that size and also in the front size you want. My word of caution though, after putting lower profile tires on you may also want to lower it. Even just a mild drop really helps the look of lower profile tires.

Yes you can run a 284/40 on a 9" wide rim which is the limit in my opinion, you should be careful since they don't all measure the same. As a tire wholesaler I was able to look at & measure all my options and since I wanted a 285 on a 9" wide rim, I went with Continental ExtremeContact DW because the measured distance between the tire beads was less than the GY and Michelin's I was considering, so they wouldn't be pinch in to fit the 9" wide rim.

On my 1969 Cutlass, I have 18x9 front and rear with 255/40 and 285/40, lowered a good 2-3 inches as well. Only slight rubbing at full lock going over curbs. For these Olds you can't listen to any advice about what fits from in the back from guys with 70-72 cars, as those years have more room in the rear wheel well opening.

EDIT: I just looked at my wheels, the offset is 13 but I don't know if that's positive or negative 13.
      Thanks For the reply Nick. So it sounds like the 275’s will fit the wheel wells on 9” rims with zero offset, correct? If I go 285 I’m going to need more backspace I’m guessing? I’ll have to check and see if the wheels I have picked out offer custom offsets.
      Thanks again
      ~Shane

Country Flag: United States
      A 285 could fit, but a 275 is just easier.

Name:  cutlass.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  90.7 KB

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com