Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

How old is too old?

Are 2008(new) tires too old to use?

What are your guys thought?

Too old for what? I'd be a lot more cautious if I were planning on driving 10/10ths on a roadcourse or standing mile or something than I would cruising around town. Some other factors to consider - when were the tires mounted? Were they kept inside in a climate controlled environment?

Here's a somewhat official answer from Tirerack:

"Properly stored tires that are protected from the elements and not mounted on a wheel, age very slowly before they are mounted and put into service. In our experience, when tires are properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. While part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle.

Several European vehicle manufacturers of high-performance sports cars, coupes and sedans identify that "under no circumstances, should tires older than 6 years be used" in their vehicle owner's manual. However, it should be noted that European recommendations must include driving conditions that include roads like the German Autobahn, which allows vehicles to be legally driven at their top speeds for extended periods of time.

While American driving conditions don't include the high-speed challenges of the German Autobahn, Chrysler, Ford Motor Company and General Motors have joined their European colleagues by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=138
      - Ryan

I wouldn't buy tires that are 11 years old. But having said that I asked the same question to my local tire guy. He's been in the business for 30 plus years. He said basically the same thing the Tire Rack guy said. Properly maintained, stored indoors. Tires can go 10 years. My LS/TJ swap has 9 year old tires on it. It's parked indoors summer and winter. He looked at my tires last summer and said they look fine. They only have about 25,000 on them.

Use would be occasssional auto cross, mainly for cruising

Tires over 6 years old are not recommended , I (personally) would drive on them and get the miles out of them , but not very fast ....
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

My tires are now 11 years old and they should be replaced, I will replace them this Spring. They've been store inside and have no visible signs of cracking, but the traction is quite low on them.

They seem to be doing okay, though I wouldn't say it's the best idea. If you're planning on autocross, don't expect much grip out of them..
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Thanks for your help guys

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com