Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

2004 GTO 5.7 w/ 6- Speed drop- good idea or not for first gem

Looking to buy a GTO motor complete engine, manual tranny, controller, harness etc.., is this a good combination for a first gen camaro

Depending on the price and what you want to do I say yes. The GTO t56 has a deeper first gear than the Fbody t56, so you'll have to decide if you want the wider gear set. I'm not positive but I don't think the GTO oil pan will work. If you're going to stroke the engine, replace the heads, cam, and intake, then at that point you might be better off starting from scratch or with a crate engine built how you want it.
      Traven

Looking to make a dependable daily driver, not so much a track only car. I found the takeout for $5K complete if it is still avail. Would like to average at least 20mpg+ versus the 12mpg I had before. Sold the powerglide out of the car, but have a Muncie in the wings pending what direction I go. I have a future project for my SBC down the road if I go LS route.

Haven't picked rear gears yet, what would you suggest if I go the GTO option?

I'm running 04 GTO long block with 02 f-Body acc. & 6 speed trans. I had the heads ported & put a cam in it. Rear has 4.10 gears. On the highway running 75-80 mph it gets 24-25mpg. Makes 406HP to the tires and has run a traction limited mid-low 12's at the strip. I'v done a few auto-x's and run part of the powertour twice. I've put just over 13000 mi on it and have had no major problems at all. Thats a pretty fair price on the combo if the miles are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      I'm running 04 GTO long block with 02 f-Body acc. & 6 speed trans. I had the heads ported & put a cam in it. Rear has 4.10 gears. On the highway running 75-80 mph it gets 24-25mpg. Makes 406HP to the tires and has run a traction limited mid-low 12's at the strip. I'v done a few auto-x's and run part of the powertour twice. I've put just over 13000 mi on it and have had no major problems at all. Thats a pretty fair price on the combo if the miles are decent.
      Sorry to go on a tangent, but how do you like the 4.10's with the GTO T56? I just installed an '04 GTO T56 and am thinking about swapping rear end gears in the future.

I only have the GTO motor, using Fbody T56. I initially had 3.73's but whoever set up my new Moser didnt get it right & they whined horribly. Switched to 4.10's & it definately was noticeable difference all the way around. Really kept the motor in the powerband on every shift. At 80mph it turns 2100rpm with 335/35/17 rear tires.

Thanks for all of the good feed back, I am pretty excited to be picking up the 04 GTO motor this Friday, $4800 42k mile motor with 6-speed. Now to start collecting more parts. Is the 1" setback motor mounts the way to go? Is the g-force crossmember a good choice for the t56? Also, would changing the intake to a LS6 Z06 stock intake be a good choice if had for the right price, what power gains could I expect. Plan to do heads and cam in the future as funds allow.

Also, for the traditional guys, the 350sbc and 4-speed will be going into a 30 ford pickup sometime in the future if this project is ever finished. Nothing goes to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by 32deucecoupe View Post
      Thanks for all of the good feed back, I am pretty excited to be picking up the 04 GTO motor this Friday, $4800 42k mile motor with 6-speed. Now to start collecting more parts. Is the 1" setback motor mounts the way to go? Is the g-force crossmember a good choice for the t56? Also, would changing the intake to a LS6 Z06 stock intake be a good choice if had for the right price, what power gains could I expect. Plan to do heads and cam in the future as funds allow.
      That motor should already have an LS6 intake.

Thanks, I had read that somewhere, but could not find it in any spec write ups. Definitely do not want to spend money that I don't need to.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com