Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Turbo Engine I got.

I traded a engine I couldn't give away free for a 2.3 Ford Pinto or Lima engine that turbo charged back in the day. It has some pretty nice parts to play with, and is a nice start except the turbo which needs a newer style. The turbo is a early draw through type T3.

If I go through with a build for it I would likely use a blow through carb set up. Likely a Holley 350 2 barrel built by a professional, and the accessories set up by him too.

So my question is how does a blow through set-up drive around? I know they can make Big power, but are they for daily driving?
      Sitzungstiefpunkt und fahrend langsam

Country Flag: United States
      Supposedly they can drive around like a N/A version of the engine until you hit the happy pedal. Most people I have read of tend to size the carb conservatively because blow through likes to have a strong signal to the carb. You could probably make some power off the draw through setup as well by doing something like changing the adapter and sticking a larger carb on it. It wouldn't surprise me if something like a qjet and a slightly larger compressor was a nice power boost.

I like the idea of those turbo fours. I had a buddy with a Ranger and I always thought that would have been a cool build
      Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Roboto View Post
      Supposedly they can drive around like a N/A version of the engine until you hit the happy pedal. Most people I have read of tend to size the carb conservatively because blow through likes to have a strong signal to the carb. You could probably make some power off the draw through setup as well by doing something like changing the adapter and sticking a larger carb on it. It wouldn't surprise me if something like a qjet and a slightly larger compressor was a nice power boost.
      Old draw through have to many issues to contend with vs the blow through. Which is why no one uses them besides VW air-cooled guys, but mostly for ease of packaging. Yes they have fixed most of the issues, but drive ability is off. I used to be into Bugs for quite a few years, and have ridden in a few turbo bugs.

So if it can drive just as well as NA in blow through with a small carb maybe I should look for a smaller one then a 350 Holley for a 2.3?

Quote Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
      I like the idea of those turbo fours. I had a buddy with a Ranger and I always thought that would have been a cool build
      My current idea while a bit far fetched is to use the Turbo 2.3 in my F100 project in a couple of years. This over course depends on the final weight of my F100 as I feel it would need to be roughly 3500 pounds or less to work decently. Closer to 3300 would be ideal or about the same weight as a Ranger. So once my F100 is rolling I will get a weight slip, and subtract 500-600 pounds from it total weight. To compensate for engine weight, and tranny weight differences. It currently has a fairly fresh 352FE, and C6. So roughly 450-500 less for the engine, and 50-75 for the tranny.

I figure from internet searches I have done 275-300 hp the max for a simple build, and that more then equals a decent warmed up 302. So if a 302 does fine in a truck like mine I figure a 2.3 turbo properly set-up would be just as nice to drive. Maybe even returning better mpg all around considering this truck is more of a glorified car now.

Blow thru works fine. I've been on several power tours and LOTS of cruising around in the last 12 years in my Camaro. It has done a couple road courses as well as auto crosses. All with a 650 double pumper carb. Oh and it runs 10 in the 1/4! :-)
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Blow thru with a "crutch" carb modification. What this is basically turning your PV into an rpm switch/pressure switched on enrichment. www.theturboforums.com, join up and do a search. OR read up here http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...r-tech-section

Add in a good wideband O2 sensor and buy or build a good water/methanol injection system and tune for some power. Snow has premixed "boost juice" but you can mix your own or use WW fluid with extra methanol or ethanol or rubbing alcohol in it.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com