Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

t-56 in a 71 Chevelle??

Will the T-56 (LT-1 version) fit in a 71 Chevelle without extensive tunnel modifictions?? I talked to the guy at Weir Hot Rod and he says "Yes", but the folks at Keisler say "major surgery" and that the shifter would be "to far toward the rear of the car for comfort" (By my research, it looks like it would be ~10" further back than stock) Any comments?? pictures?? and if it will, would you go with the Wier Kit or a McLoed Bellhousing. I kinda like the thoughts of a hydraulic clutch system. (I will be running a mild 402 BBC with 2.73 gears).

I already have a T-5 World Class setup (using a Howe hydraulic release bearing) that I was thinking about installing for now to get the car going, but I know it probably won't take a lot of abuse. (Maybe later (when the funding is right) I could swap to a TKO 500.

Country Flag: United States
      No, it will require a major tunnel re-work. And I love how Kiesler says the shifter will be 'too far back to be comforatable'. What a load of crap.
      The shifter is about 3-4" back from a stock 4spd hole. If you take your hand off the steering wheel, and let it fall to the right, it will land on a T56 shifter.
      They make it sound like it will end up in the back seat.
      Tyler

usc2001gc
      A 2.73 rear gear and a T56 makes for a pretty tall 6th gear (.50:1). First gear is 2.66 and would be ok. The T56 5th. gear would be good but a TKO 500 with a .68 OD 5th. and a 3.27 first would really wake it up from the lights and would be more driveable on the highway in my opinion. Of course a different rear ratio would change all this. Last time I measured one a T56 from the bell housing surface at the engine to the shifter is 29 inches. A Muncie with a Hurst shifter I THINK? (measured the same way) is 24 ". A TKO is 23". If you're looking to get the shifter exactly where the Muncie was, the Trick Stix shifter will do that. You have to cut the car with either transmission so the decision will be based on whether you want a different shifter position and the gear ratios. I have a 92 Corvette with a ZF 6-40 six speed in it with a 3.45 rear and 26 inch tire and I rarely use 6th gear. If you cruise at about 70 mph in the Vette, it's about 1500 rpm.

I'm running a D&D Viper T56 and can tell you that your tranny tunnel will need major surgery. However,it sounds worse than it really is. I don't remember exactly how far back my Pro 5.0 shifter is from stock but like Tyler said,it is in a nice spot. You can email me for photos of my installation,if you want.
      If the TKO-500 or 600 had been available then,I would have bought one of those. Don't get me wrong,I really like my T56 but two overdrive gears are kinda unnecessary. I also could've left my old 3.50 rear cog in the 9",instead of the 4.11's I have now. You really need around a 3.90 or higher numerically gear to work well with the T56's .50 6th gear.

Thanks for the information. I got a pretty good deal on a LT-1 T-56 (- bellhousing), so I'm going that route (I'm not really concerned about the shifter being in the original location, only that it's comfortable). Once I get the car going, I'll upgrade to a 3.73 or higher gear. Any preference on bellhousings? It looks like I can get the Weir housing and hydraulic TOB for $620 or the McLeod modular housing and hydraulic TOB for around $725. Would the Weir kit be ok, or should I spend the extra money for the McLeod pieces?

I'm swapping from a T/H350 to their TKO600 with the .64 OD ratio on my 79 Firebird. With 275/40R17's 4.11 gears and a .64 OD i can do 120mph @4100rpm. I dont plan on doing 120mph, so its nice to be able to have the OD to keep the revs low on highway and also keep 4.11's for around town. at 75mph ill only be doing approx. 2600rpm. Which will probably be right where my torque range starts. I'm planning on building a 474ci stroker motor with this trans and 4.11's it should run pretty good. I'm also looking at throwing some tubular UCA/LCA's on and using the hotchkis lowering springs.
      1979 Trans Am - In the big junkyard in the sky
      1980 Turbo Trans Am - In the big junkyard in the sky

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single BURNOUT!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com