Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

SBF needs to be rebuilt... Need help/suggestions!

Motor on my 69 mustang fastback took a crap. Started running really rough. Lifter springs were warped upon inspection. Replaced those & still couldn't get good compression. Going to do a full rebuild. Not motor savvy though so I would like some input/suggestions. This is a budget rebuild though, so I don't have $$ for Aluminum heads, etc. at the moment.....

Current motor specs(as stated from previous owner, was supposedly rebuilt in 2001)

-302 block bored .030 over
      -new PAW flat top pistons(new rings & bearings) for about 10.5 to 1 Compression
      -Ported exhausted openings on heads
      -new water pump
      -new timing chain
      -new high volume oil pump
      -roller tipped rockers
      -performer rpm intake
      -Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb
      -Crane Fireball II 290H cam(216* @ .050 and .484 lift, intake and exhaust)

Car is running a T5 five speed now. 3.80 gears & a Auburn posi

Any input is greatly appreciated. I want an aggressive lopey idle.. Dont know if I should change the cam or anything else components wise!

Thanks, Matt

Country Flag: United States
      what are you after? What sort of heads are on the motor? is the motor original? Any cracks?

For the price difference between having the heads machined and reworked (since you sort of stated that you couldn't do it yourself), i'd look to pick up some decent aluminum heads. you wont be getting super fancy ones, but you could do some x heads or something of that ilk and get your money's worth out of them.

that being said, I'd tear the motor down and have it checked for cracks and check the cylinder bores on it. If it needs to be machined, you'll need to decide if you want to continue with the block.

not for nothing, if this is only a weekend car or toy, ( and depending on how much you drive it), I'd be suspicious of anything that was done to the motor. porting is an art and science. it can be screwed up pretty seriously if someone is "experimenting".

as for lopey an aggressive, you can get that out of something as remedial as an x cam.
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

I would at least want to have a roller cam block 85-98?or somewhere in that time frame.
      I put together a motor for a friends daughter's mustang..5.0 explorer shortblock(has rollercam) 50000 miles,gt40 heads 1.6 roller rockers and a trickflow stage 1 cam, it dynoed 285 to the ground. It has nice sound and good fuel mileage,excellent street manners.
      If you want something cheap you can usually find explorer motors for 500-600 range and they have either the gt40or gtp heads on them. Add front cover, oil pan and camshaft,and your intake.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com