Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Mobil 1 Oil question for turbo engines

I have heard that when used in Turbo applications the full synthic Mobil 1 5w30 breaks down ( shears)quickly. Has anyone had any problems using Mobil 1 5w30. I have used Mobil 1 in my vehicles and want to in my new one.

Thanks

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door next project.

Mobil 1 Oil question for turbo engines

What kind of car is it? Most synthetics will break down at around 300 degrees, but a daily driver won't ever get the oil that hot. High performance cars might, which would benefit from an oil cooler.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Dale, This is in my 2013 Ford Focus ST 2.0 ecoboost turbo. My daily driver.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door next project.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Sportwagon View Post
      Dale, This is in my 2013 Ford Focus ST 2.0 ecoboost turbo. My daily driver.

Tim

Tim,
      I did a little looking and the oil needed for your car needs to meet this spec: Ford specification WSS-M2C946-A. I do not know if the Mobil meets that or not. I do know that AMSOIL meets this spec in our 5w-30. Here is a link to where I got this information from. Hope this helps.
      Jacob

I agree with Dale. Ford sets a 284*F maximum for synthetic oil temperatures.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Synthetics break down at 300deg? huh, strange, everything I have seen synthetics operate at higher temps than conventional.
      284deg? heck doesnt leave much margin for conventional oil then, that must be breaking down at a much lower temp.
      As for me I would run a 10w30 or 15w40/15w50 synthetic in a turbo engine and get some sort of accusump set up where it feeds oil after shut down AND use a turbo timer.
      I do have couple of local Honda guys running Shell rotella 5W40 with no ill will BUT we also used dodge durango electric heater assist pumps and post oiling and water cooled GT style oil/water cooled turbos.
      ALSO I have several guys running evans cooling NPG+ coolant with zero heat or oiling issues.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

check out Schaeffers oil or Amsoil, i have been using Amsoil but switched to Schaeffers due to the cost and they have a micro molly protection in all there oil

Country Flag: Canada
      I have always run Mobil 1 5w30 syn in all of my boosted vehicles... my current daily driver is a fairly modified 2010 Cobalt SS/TC. At 24psi I burn absolutely nothing and that's with the factory twin scroll K04. You'd be perfectly fine running that oil my friend. Actually now that I think about it the only turbo manufacturer I've ever heard guys complain about oil consumption issues is Precision.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Sportwagon View Post
      This is in my 2013 Ford Focus ST 2.0 ecoboost turbo. My daily driver.
      what does the manufacture recommend?

I was running M1 on my boosted LS1 but after reading all the horror stories using M1 on higher output boosted motors I have switched to VR1. I still use M1 in my DD stock motors though.

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

I really like the feel of the VR1. It is still thick and "oily", even after a weekend of boosted activities at the Midwest Muscle Car Challenge. With my old turbos, which were too small, the egt's were about 1500° at the end of EVERY front stretch lap at Putnam Park.... And I put about 35-40 of them on there!! Then the auto-x the next day where the water temps were still in the 230-235° range after a few runs. I gotta say that I don't think the M1 would hold up after that kind of abuse. When I used it in our old GN, the pressure dropped significantly after it got hot, so I didn't want to risk it under the abuse of the Camaro!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com