• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Restomod Air

Country Flag: Norway

Restomod Air

Arne A Hjemaas

Country Flag: United States
      It's a division of Classic Auto Air. Some of their billet parts are interesting.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

very nice

stuff looks nice! wonder how it performs. I am curious about their "DEATH VALLY CHALLENGE"

73 Camaro
      Gene

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      It's a division of Classic Auto Air. Some of their billet parts are interesting.
      I use to work for them

Quote Originally Posted by lsx80monte View Post
      I use to work for them
      What can you tell us about the company?

73 Camaro
      Gene

Quote Originally Posted by newmexicosaint View Post
      What can you tell us about the company?
      I worked for Classic Auto Air in Tampa. When I worked there, the texas division was just getting started where all they do is the aftermarket stuff. Tampa was doing original rebuilding/custom work as well as selling and customer service for both original and aftermarket. The systems were at that time, good stuff. Spal blower motors, sep heater core/evap, and completely serviceable units were basically the highlights. I can tell you that the price has gone up. I think the systems were right around 1100 6 yrs ago. Im sure the other a/c companies have raised their prices also. They were always talking about how vintage air had the hotrod market cornered but they were pushing for the muscle car market. Well from the looks of it, vintage air has that market covered also. I can also recall getting some customers that had previously bought vintage air systems and were not happy with it so they would buy ours. Maybe things have changed since then. For me it was a great learning experience as I have gone onto restoring classic a/c parts to sell online and I have built and installed my own dual a/c system ( front and trunk units) in my monte carlo.

Ive met the guy in charge of the texas division. He's a nice guy.Told me to give him a call if I needed a job. I think I might just do that when I get back to Texas in a month.

Thanks brother. I appreciate the inside info on the company!!

73 Camaro
      Gene

No problem, anytime

Hello guys, This is Mike from Restomod Air, I wanted to drop a line to introduce myself and thank you guys for the review. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

lax80monte, it's funny you said you may give me a call about a job, were currently hiring, give me a shout.

Will it work with the stock LS1 compressor? Thanks Bill

Bill, to answer your question easily (if thats possible) Yes our system will work with a stock LS1 compressor. We prefer that you don't use the stock compressor because it is a variable displacement compressor. Im sure you are aware of this because you are asking the question. With a variable displacement compressor it does just that, varies the displacement of refrigerant it pumps. The Variable Capacity Piston Compressor (SDV) was developed to meet the current and future needs of OE car manufacturers. The compressor displacement is varied by changing the angle of the cam, which in turn controls the refrigeration capacity to meet air-conditioning demands at all operating conditions, basically a gas mileage benefit. Once cabin temperature approaches desired temperature, the Compressor can afford to reduce its capacity. This avoids clutch cycling and maintains a constant lower outlet temperature, basically not using a freeze-out thermostat. Not to bore you any longer we can use your compressor, I can elaborate more on using your stock compressor if you wish.

Thanks Mike

What is the advantage over vintage? Just curious to hear?

Thank you for coming in Mike and sharing your knowledge.

Can you please elaborate more on the SDV type compressor, and other compressor types, and their respective advantages/disadvantages for us in the Pro-Touring/Restomod market. The modern compressor is much more than a simple pumping mechanism. Bringing on the tech won't put us to sleep.

Also, any information on the upcoming refrigerant changes/regulations and how they might effect our hobby would be interesting as well.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Carl-

You've heard about 1234yf? No matter, it won't affect the aftermarket so much. 134a is supposed to remain in production for the service and aftermarket, as the OEM's shift to 1234yf for CO2 credits. Unlike the R12/R14a change, 134a it's not at this point scheduled for a quick phase out and retrofit with successor refrigerants.

At this point, I understand some of the OEMS are only trying to shift US market (not even NAFTA) production to 1234yf, as it's currently SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than R134a
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post
      Carl-

You've heard about 1234yf? No matter, it won't affect the aftermarket so much. 134a is supposed to remain in production for the service and aftermarket, as the OEM's shift to 1234yf for CO2 credits. Unlike the R12/R14a change, 134a it's not at this point scheduled for a quick phase out and retrofit with successor refrigerants.

At this point, I understand some of the OEMS are only trying to shift US market (not even NAFTA) production to 1234yf, as it's currently SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than R134a
      According to some of the stuff I've read they are saying it will be illegal to retrofit 134a to 1234YF. Not really sure how they will enforce that but whatever.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

I was under the impression that 1234 was in service overseas already, as in required to run it. Is there another refrigerant aside from 134 and 1234 that is in use in Europe?
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Restomod Air View Post
      Hello guys, This is Mike from Restomod Air, I wanted to drop a line to introduce myself and thank you guys for the review. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Is there something wrong with your website? It says your AC units well for $1,700 to $1,800. I am curious as to why your plastic box with a coil in it and a fan stuck on the side is 3 times more money than anyone elses. A complete kit from classicautoair (we will keep this within the company) for a 69 Camaro sells at $1,425, so why the big number on the vapir and haymaker?
      Donny

Vintage Air is around $1200 for my application. Damn!
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com