Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I thought his approach was cool, but after a while I realized he was just solving half the problem as he modified the car. Rubbing tires, dragging exhaust, stripped interior, kinda wiring, etc.

Just another hack-job on what was a nice car.

Any thoughts on how the car smelled covered with diesel oil? lol

Compare that BMW with this guy: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=lit+up

jp
      The BMW guy and the truck guy aren't in the same league. They aren't even playing the same sport! The truck guy has a huge shop filled with tools that I couldn't even begin to tell you what they do. The BMW guy was working in a two car garage with a welder, saw, hammers and not enough fire extinguishers.

The truck is a work of art, the BMW is cool in its own right. The intentional rust effect is kind of goofy. I would have preferred a flat solid color. Maybe even the famous Rus-O-leum roller paint job.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I love that car, lol awesomee
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

I couldn't open your link JP, but from Andrews response, I'm assuming it is JIMMYS Weesner's drawing come to life, either Emerald Tide or Lit Up. And if that is the case, JIMMYS work reminds me of yours....NOTHING like the BMW guys!!

I do kind of dig the BMW, just because it is an in your face to all the "Bimmer" bone heads that think they are a cut above the rest! Lol. He did go a bit over the top and all, but definately out of the box!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

doesnt it make you feel a little weird that the car was covered in his own piss?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
      That guy has incredible skill. But the PT'er in me had to wonder, when he redesigned the frame, did he alter the suspension geometry at all? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
      The BMW guy was working in a two car garage with a welder, saw, hammers and not enough fire extinguishers.
      Now THAT is HILARIOUS to me.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

LOVE it.

Rick Butterfield

I admire his drive for building everything in his own garage, but the fact that he intentionally rusted the car tells me the Rat Rod trend has gone too far. He actually had a pretty sweet little driver with OK paint in the beginning, and then he ground it all off. All I can say is Really? WTF? I'm not a fan of having a rock-chip free showcar myself, but intentionally damaging your car for the sake of some theme is ridiculous. The real "rat rod" guys hate the term, because they will tell you in no uncertain terms that their car isn't a rat rod, it's a hot rod. They drive it in the process while making updates and changes as they can afford them, unlike the guys on Powerblock who throw a bunch of paint on a nice truck, then sand through it to 'simulate' years of oxidation and rust.

Driving a car that you're in the process of hot-rodding = cool
      Destroying a decent car to emulate the aforementioned group of hot-rodders = poser

-matt

Quote Originally Posted by monteboy84 View Post
      I admire his drive for building everything in his own garage, but the fact that he intentionally rusted the car tells me the Rat Rod trend has gone too far. He actually had a pretty sweet little driver with OK paint in the beginning, and then he ground it all off. All I can say is Really? WTF? I'm not a fan of having a rock-chip free showcar myself, but intentionally damaging your car for the sake of some theme is ridiculous. The real "rat rod" guys hate the term, because they will tell you in no uncertain terms that their car isn't a rat rod, it's a hot rod. They drive it in the process while making updates and changes as they can afford them, unlike the guys on Powerblock who throw a bunch of paint on a nice truck, then sand through it to 'simulate' years of oxidation and rust.

Driving a car that you're in the process of hot-rodding = cool
      Destroying a decent car to emulate the aforementioned group of hot-rodders = poser

-matt
      Couldn't agree more.

Funny... there were kids in school who would destroy a perfectly good set of Converse shoes with sandpaper to simulate an ollie hole.

Haha I can't say too much to that one, I bought plenty of brand new jeans with holes in them

-matt

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
      Couldn't agree more.

Funny... there were kids in school who would destroy a perfectly good set of Converse shoes with sandpaper to simulate an ollie hole.
      And they too were posers. As a skater/surfer, I always laughed at the guys with the perfect toe/side sole scuff. And the deck with the sandpaper scuffs on the deck. You could tell a mile away it was fake and they had never rail slid before.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

And to think we got made fun off because our jeans had holes and shoes were duct taped for reinforcement. It's not like our parents didn't want to buy us new threads - we just cared more about skating than how we looked doing it. lol

It's obvious the BMW owner had a love for the machine, but more for the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
      Couldn't agree more.

I always earned my "ollie hole" the hard way. ;)

Real skaters didn't wear Converse though, they would wear Airwalks, before they became a trendy shoe and were a skater shoe.
      1973 Datsun 240 Z
      2.8L Turbocharged and Injected, WIP.

DIY Fuel injection forums and information

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
      I always earned my "ollie hole" the hard way. ;)

Real skaters didn't wear Converse though, they would wear Airwalks, before they became a trendy shoe and were a skater shoe.
      Not that I care about brands but Hosoi was pretty real.

I like the documentation of the Bimmer thread. He takes great photos and for me, that makes it a fun thread. The number of different iterations the car has gone through is impressive and it looked cool at several different stages. The truck build that John posted is amazing. That will be fun to watch.
      Stephen

i like it something different, thats what i think its all about. who wants to see the same thing over and over boring, and its his money, his time to each his own. Im building a "rat rod" now and absolutely love it. After building the dart and having to be meticulous on everything and never let it out of my eye its nice to relax a little on this. With this project its so much fun and enjoyable looking for random parts and trying to get good deals. Creativity is endless with these projects. The entire thing cost less than 4k. And just cause it looks ratty doesnt mean it isnt safe. A lot of guys are building some really nice chassis for their projects. But on the other hand there are some dummies out there not building them safe. Theres good and bad in everything.
      heres my rat rod diesel dually in the making

As a LTL (Long time Lurker)- I'm sort of blown away by all the haters...."worthless" ..."poser"..."waste"...."idiot"...

I loved it!!!! Here's a car guy- that's not afraid to be different-works on his car and drives it....And a pretty talented photographer!

WTH?

Would more of you guys liked if he put a LS motor in it???

I'm a car guy...I APPRECIATE the work he put in to it- Whether or not it be how I would do it!

Geez- I was thinking of posting my build.... but it might be too different-

I don't hate on it being different, believe me, I like projects that are not "the norm", and I get my share of the "WTF, why would you build it like THAT?" questions, but it's one thing to build something that's "different" and build something that is not safe. There was a lot about that car, especially electrically that was not safe, and I would imagine if he put that lack of care into the electrical, there was a lot of mechanical that done just as poorly, that was shown and not shown.

I've also never understood this "patina on purpose" idea. It's one thing to build something that already has rust on it. Look at the roots, the beginnings of building a Rat Rod and that was to take a body that was already naturally covered in rust a frame to match and then add enough parts to make it drivable (and safe), without adding the finishing touches. To sand down a car and make it "rust" just doesn't do a thing for me, it just shows that people want to be a part of something without understanding it. That being said, I still can't get behind the idea that a "Rat Rod" is the finished stage. I have always looked at that stage in a car build as a "WIP," a Work In Progress, and it just happens to be a stage to drive without all of the finishing touches.

I would dislike a shiny car just as much, if there were cobbled aspects of it as well. It doesn't take any longer to do something right and some cases less time, than it does to do things correctly and safely. ;)

I forgot about Hosoi wearing Converse back in the day, he was the exception though. :P
      1973 Datsun 240 Z
      2.8L Turbocharged and Injected, WIP.

DIY Fuel injection forums and information

Hahaha, if you don't have a 69 camaro with an LS in you are not welcome here. Far from it. Heck I received a bunch of advise on how to improve my 78 Lincoln suspension on this site. The people frequenting this site are great.

im glad i can still Ollie Impossible.. Foot wrap.. Casper.. and 360 Kickflip.

but nothing better at this age just cruising.. and the occasional power slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
      Would more of you guys liked if he put a LS motor in it???
      I don't think a single person mentioned that the car would have been better with an LS motor.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 04-20-2011 at 06:44 AM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com