Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Movie Two Lane Blacktop......?

OK I decided to have my wife put this in her que from Blockbuster. About a week ago disc 2 came in the mail, so she had to request disc 1. Finally it came & tonight I watched it. I don't get it, am I missing something? Guy in the GTO is a wack job, the 2 in the Chevy hardly talk. I still have disc 2, but can't quite feel the need to put it in. Already lost a couple house of my life with disc 1 that I will never get back.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

If you were looking for yet another throw-away car flick, 2LBT ain't it. And if you don't get it, you just don't get it I guess. But try to look at it this way: it's a road movie in the best sense... every bit as good as (or better than) Easy Rider; it's an existential experience. I find its starkness and sense of solitude captivating and compelling. Not everyone does I suppose, but it always gives me the same sense of being on a great roadtrip; and I mean a Kerouac roadtrip, not a spring-break-with-your-buddies-beer-run roadtrip.

BTW, if you didn't enjoy it, don't bother watching any more. I like to give this advice: if you find yourself somewhere doing something and you find yourself thinking "why am I here right now doing this?", get up and leave.

I loved it and it also doubles as a good sleeping pill. I swear I had to watch it 6 or 7 times to get through it, I kept falling asleep.
      Matt

Current project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro L92 T56 Quadra-link, CW sub, Ford 9" a progressive build.

Ex track car: 1995 Camaro LS1 T56

Two Lane Blacktop is a terrible movie with a couple cool scenes in it
      Bob

i think some people just get it....i just liked the cars

You tryin to blow my mind????

Love it My friends and I used to watch L2B all the time. Its filmed as if it was happening right now like you where riding along with them. If you go into like your gonna watch a mega budget thriller its lost on you already.
      Nothing says "I built this" better than tool marks and dykem blue..

Follow my 3 link build. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61592

def one of my favorites. Warren Oates is just crazy.
      Dave Smith
      29 Ford Roadster Pickup blown 327 and stupid
      67 Chevelle 396/5 speed PT
      65 El Camino L79

Country Flag: Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkBuddha View Post
      If you were looking for yet another throw-away car flick, 2LBT ain't it. And if you don't get it, you just don't get it I guess. But try to look at it this way: it's a road movie in the best sense... every bit as good as (or better than) Easy Rider; it's an existential experience. I find its starkness and sense of solitude captivating and compelling. Not everyone does I suppose, but it always gives me the same sense of being on a great roadtrip; and I mean a Kerouac roadtrip, not a spring-break-with-your-buddies-beer-run roadtrip.
      I agree, I like Two Lane Black Top for exactly the reason I like Easy rider.....its an experience, not just a movie...I don't care thats theres no real beginning and end, I'm happy to come along for the ride.

yep, no plot or storyline particularly, just like a couple guys headed out with a camera. I like it, but it's definitely an acquired taste and I totally get anyone who doesn't "get" it.

Jody

Yeah, I agree it was a bore fest. I much prefer American Graffiti, or the Hollywood Knights.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

American Grafitti.

Try American Grafitti if you have not seen it. One of my favorites of all time.

I haven't seen American Graffiti in a long time but have seen it. Told my wife I wanted it for my birthday. If she can find it.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Well, for some of us who knew Lakeland drag strip and live just down the road from Carlisle, Arkansas, it's like going home again.

Either you get it or you don't. If you're under 50, you probably don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Sportwagon View Post
      Yeah, I agree it was a bore fest. I much prefer American Graffiti, or the Hollywood Knights.

Tim
      hollywood knights is still 1 of the funniest movies ever
      ive only seen 3/4 of 2lbt, got side tracked a lot while it was playing, is great 2 see all the cool cars

I guess I am sharing my age now.....
      The movie wasn't about getting the plot, it was a cool one to watch at the drive-in though..
      You had to have lived in those days, drive-ins were not just about the show....
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

try CANNONBALL!! w/ David Carridine(sp)

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
      Either you get it or you don't. If you're under 50, you probably don't.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howell View Post
      I guess I am sharing my age now.....
      The movie wasn't about getting the plot, it was a cool one to watch at the drive-in though..
      You had to have lived in those days, drive-ins were not just about the show....
      Whoa fellas... I don't think it has anything to do with age at all. I just turned 37 but I fell in love with that movie when I was 15 (when A&E aired it on a rare Sunday afternoon).

No, it's not about age, it's about a culture that has been lost (or was never found) for a lot of folks. It's from the days before "supercars" were kids' dream cars, before computers and internet, before ordering online, back when you needed to know the right people and go to speed shops to get performance parts, when people had to build and tune their own cars without the help of a tech support line or a tutorial, and when street racing was real, semi-illicit and semi-accepted. I suspect that culture still exists in some places, but it is definitely rarer now and those that missed it don't know to miss it now. But there is evidence that some people do miss that culture and are getting back to it a bit. Thank goodness.

BTW, one of best movie lines of all time:

"...lets make it 3 yards muthaf!@ker and we'll have a automobile race."

good points Wyatt, I agree with both of your posts.

Note that I said "probably" don't get it.

You summed it up well. That culture and time are long gone.

This is the web site for the one real drag strip they showed in the movie. It's long gone but it was the hot spot over in Memphis back when Coleman Taylor Transmission wasn't TCI. Man, I'm old.

http://www.lakelandraceway.com/

I watched it first when i was about 20 (27 now) and i thought it was cool.. I just liked the fact you can hear the muncie whine and has a lot of cool little car culture elements in it. It is slow and boring to anyone not way into cars i guess, my girlfriend hated it lol..
      68 Camaro under construction

-Chris-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com