Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Seat Belt Question, need better than lap, but not full race.

I appreciate any help that you guys offer in advance. I have a 66 galaxie. There are no provisions on the roof for a 3 point set up. I want something more than just lap belts, as I do not have a collapsible column. The lack of anchor in the roof and lack of aftermarket support for this car has me wondering. I'm going to put in some procar rally seats and ditch the front bench. I want better belts than just lap belts. I also do not want to have to go with 4 or 5 points if i dont have to, but i will if there isnt any other option. Can anyone recommend better belts and either an alternate anchor point or a way to get a shoulder belt? Thanks guys!
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

Dave, there really isn't anything out there for you. Pre-67 cars simply don't have the anchor point for a 3pt system, and adding your own is no guarantee of anything without testing. If you do go with a roll cage, then you need to give up your backseat.

Maybe give the guys at Morris a call?

http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com/
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Yeah, sounds like you're gonna need something custom made.

I figured as much. I'll have to give morris a call. There really isnt a spot on the roof that I would be comfortable with pinning my life on as far as creating an anchor.

I guess my only option right now, sans going to a cage, is going to be the schroth harnesses. I have yet to put someone in my back seat anyway and have honestly been thinking of welding in a firewall to the trunk ( fuel cell in the future) and just finishing the area behind the front seats with a dummy seat or nothing at all.

Thanks guys.
      -Dave

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

I'm in this situation with my 66 GTO since I installed 06 GTO seats. I have an early year model which does not have the provisions in the roof like the later year bodies do. Not having a backseat and installing a rollcage are not an option for me. Curious to see what you come up with.
      BJ

66 GTO LY6/4l80e

Build Thread on LS1tech

This is something I've been thinking about lately as well. I have a 71 but lack any sort of roof mounting points to use for belts. Not sure what to do about it as I want safe, real seat belts but I do often have people in the back seats. Would hate to have to buy new seats.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Well I keep looking around the net and this may work for your convertible. I don't feel this is ideal though because I have read that having the attachment point below your shoulder can compress your spine in an accident.. Anyways this is the install instructions for this one company and it shows many different options. http://www.scribd.com/doc/25492794/R...d-113006-Final I'm thinking I'm going to fabricate a bracket into the roof channel to allow the 3 points to bolt in up top and behind me.
      BJ

66 GTO LY6/4l80e

Build Thread on LS1tech

why not use the schroth 4pt rallye harnesses? They attach to the rear seat belt anchors and are easily removable should you want to bring someone with you. Short of welding in a tab in the roof for mounting standard 3pt belts, that is your safest bet. Also, unless you are wanting to keep the car original (doubtful since you are on PT.com ), you may also want to consider upgrading to a collapsible steering shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyRnD View Post
      why not use the schroth 4pt rallye harnesses? They attach to the rear seat belt anchors and are easily removable should you want to bring someone with you. Short of welding in a tab in the roof for mounting standard 3pt belts, that is your safest bet. Also, unless you are wanting to keep the car original (doubtful since you are on PT.com ), you may also want to consider upgrading to a collapsible steering shaft.

Sparky,

The schroth harnesses are the way that i'm going to go. I can count on one hand how many times that I've had someone in the back seat. Plus, I don't drive the car hard enough to fabricate a cage and I'm not into pretending.

As for the collapsible steering column, i wasnt thinking when i installed a new ididit column and was also rolling the dice as neither ididit nor flaming river could give me much information on what would fit. So I'm stuck with the column that I have until I get to that stage in my car's life where I can go back and modify the bits that I'm not 100% pleased with.

Just about the only thing original when i get this finished will be the body, frame and the door panels.

Does anyone know if any of the pro-touring sponsors sell schroth? I'd like to keep my purchase in the family.

Thanks!
      -Dave

I plan on installing late model BMW convertible seats, which have an integrated three point seat belt. Only solution that I could come up with.

for you chevy guys , Trailblazer seats also have integrated seatbelts. The Trailblazer SS leather seats have decent bolsters and most are heated.

I just cant bring myself to put seats with "SS" embroidered on them into a ford.
      -Dave

Dave, just get them reupholstered. Or look into katzkin they should have what you need.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by PT Sportwagon View Post
      Dave, just get them reupholstered. Or look into katzkin they should have what you need.

Tim
      I would, but that would blow my seat budget.
      -Dave

Any luck finding the lat model BMW seats?

This is what I plan on using. There is nothing more annoying than having to unstrap to change the station.
      http://www.corbeau.com/products/harn...arness_belts/#
      Aldin
      1969 Camaro (Weapon of Choice) in the works

as an update, I ended up buying both the Morris Classic Concepts 3pt harnesses (from MCB, supporting vendor here) and the Schroth Rallye 4 Harnesses. That way I can have the best of both worlds, and only spend about a half hour changing out the belts on race days.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
      for you chevy guys , Trailblazer seats also have integrated seatbelts. The Trailblazer SS leather seats have decent bolsters and most are heated.

I just cant bring myself to put seats with "SS" embroidered on them into a ford.

Here are some TBSS seats in L.A. $650, Wow! http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...903916796.html
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyRnD View Post
      as an update, I ended up buying both the Morris Classic Concepts 3pt harnesses (from MCB, supporting vendor here) and the Schroth Rallye 4 Harnesses. That way I can have the best of both worlds, and only spend about a half hour changing out the belts on race days.
      How are you setting up the 3-points? I am looking at doing the same exact setup in my 65 nova. Morris must do much more than their site shows...have any pics?

I haven't installed it yet, but the 3-pt harness I bought bolts into stock locations. The Cutlass (A-body) models have an attachment point in the roof where the factory chest belt connected. Rather than have a separate lap and separate chest belt, I'll use the Morris belt as a single solution. Does your Nova have a separate chest belt that connects above the headliner?

No, just lap. Not sure if it has roof mounts, but being a 65 I kind of doubt it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com