• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

BFGoodrich g-Force Rival tire launch review and podcast

Event:BFGoodrich g-Force Rival tire launch
      When: January 22 2013
      Where: NOLA Motorsports Park, New Orleans, Louisiana

BFGoodrich has released a real winner of tire for our hobby called the g-Force Rival

For more info please click on the link below to listen the to podcast we recorded covering the event.
      It has more info and some local music I recorded while I was there.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/protouring...5_01292013.mp3

A few quick facts on the new g-Force Rival tire

200 Treadwear rating

Extreme Tread Edge design brings tread compound farther down the shoulder for increased grip in hard cornering and predictable feedback.

Consistent grip Silica-infused competition compound delivers better grip from start to finish.

Rival will initially launch in 15 sizes with rim dimensions from 15-20 inches and 205-335 section width. The product will be available through TireRack.com with pre-orders beginning on Feb. 1

Road course - Mustang Mustang FR500S
      BFGoodrich Rival
      Falken RT-615K

Unfortunately I was unable to cram myself into the Mustang due to a serious roll cage and a knee that won’t bend far enough. I did hear the other divers talking about their experience and they were all hands down in agreement that the Rival had better grip and felt more stable in the corners. I also did hear that with only a couple of laps on each tire most people were trying to push it hard but also didn’t want to wreck.

There was a nice variety of people attending the event. Some of them you might know
      Larry Callahan
      Robert Kibbe
      Bill Howell
      Brian Finch
      Mark Stielow
      Bill Goldberg
      Jimi Day

You might also know few of the instructors. Talks about some serious talent helping us out.
      Kyle Tucker
      Terry Earwood
      Andrew Comrie-Picard or better known as ACP
      Jason Childress
      Dan McKeever

Autocross - BMW M3
      BFGoodrich Rival
      Hankook Ventus R-S3

What a fun event! This is where I most noticed the differences in the tire during the day. We had enough time to run both tires twice and the difference was amazing.The BFGoodrich g-Force Rival was a clear no contest winner. It turned in much faster, the rear end was much more stable and when I did get into trouble it was much more forgiving to my lack of experience. Unlike the Hankook tire the Rival had a very forgiving slip. The Hankook tire was slower on the turn in and was real wishy washy during the slalom near the end. In fact I once overcooked it on I think the second leg of the slalom and the Hankook snapped. I wound up backwards and once on another lap I wound up blowing right through the last leg to avoid killing a bunch of cones.

Something funny I head Bill Goldberg say was that from a drifting standpoint the Hankook tire may have been more fun due to it sliding around but lap times are what it's all about and that goes to the BFG Rival.

A piece of advice I heard several times during the launch that will stick with me was this

A squealing tire is a happy tire. Screaming, not so much.

Lunch time at the launch

Skidpad - Mazda MX-5 Cup
      BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2
      BFGoodrich G-Force Rival
      BFGoodrich G-Force R1 S

This was our first event after lunch and I wish I hadn’t ate so much. We ran circles trying to maintain a line and the highest sideways G load. This was interesting in that all three cars had BFG’s on them to help you understand where the BFGoodrich Rival fell in the lineup. We started on the Sport Comp-2 and when I switched the the Rival there was a notable difference. The Comp-2 did well but the Rival stuck better, I was able to generate a higher average G load and upset my full stomach even more. The final tire was the R1 S and I noticed less of a difference between in and the first two tires. While I was able to pull a tiny bit more G’s it was really close. Perhaps someone with more experience could see a bigger difference than I did but considering the R1 S has a 40 tread wear rating and the Rival has a 200 the Rival is for me.

Autocross - Subaru Impreza WRX STi
      BFGoodrich G-Force Rival ← Looked like you ran just a few laps on it at the end of the day
      Hankook Ventus R-S3 ← Showed a fair amount of wear at the end of the day
      Toyo Proxes R1R ← Toast at the end of the day

This was another fun ride. I went out for a couple of laps with the BFGoodrich Rival and it did really well. I didn’t get into any trouble and the instructor in the passenger seat said that for having only run two laps I did well. Now it was time to jump into the next of 4 total cars.

As I ran each tire my lap times became worse and worse. The others didn't turn in as quick, were less stable in the corner and I just felt much more comfortable with the Rival tires. The greatest thing was at the end being able to get back into a car with the Rival's on it and really being able to run a good lap. Jumping right from the Toyo to the BFG Rival was very noticeable.
      One think I heard Brian Finch say was they he was hitting the rev limiter only on the BFGoodrich Rival on that autocross. Apparently he was unable to carry the speed out of the corners with the competitors tires.

We were the last group of the day to run the Subaru autocross. After running the tires all day they took them off and put them on display in the main building for the wrapup. This is the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival after a day of abuse on the autocross. It held up really well considering the number of people that abused it and the laps it ran all day.

The competition didn't hold up well and was no competition in my opinion.

Conclusion

I have to hand it to BFGoodrich for hosting this event. It took a lot of confidence in their new tire to bring us all out there to compare them with the competition. In the end the Rival is the clear choice for me. With the 2013 season about to get underway I was kicking around the idea of picking up an extra set of wheels and using my KDW’s for bulk of the driving and something else for the track days. With the Rival’s ability to deal with what rain I see here in California I will just order me up a set of 18” Rivals for MotiV8r when I’m ready.

For more info please click on the link below to listen the to podcast we recorded covering the event.
      It has more info and some local music I recorded while I was there.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/protouring...5_01292013.mp3
      Last edited by Larry Callahan; 01-30-2013 at 02:20 PM.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Can't wait to run a set myself!

You will LOVE them!
      Larry Callahan

If anyone is interested in all the pictures I took in New Orleans you can find them at the link below

http://s385.beta.photobucket.com/use...Rival%20Launch
      Larry Callahan

Hey Larry,

What did you all think of the facility?? Could it be a good location for a future "Run to" event? It's really nice having a dedicated autocross area as well as the full-size road course.

In addition, I believe they rent go-carts there as well. I seem to remember the group having a lot of fun running go karts at another facility a few years ago...
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

Maybe I should sell my Nitto NT-05's before these start shipping...
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Wow.......Those BFG's looked to be in great shape!!!! Considering that got abused all day!! I will have to check out their sizes!

Lots of good sizes

225/45ZR15 87 W
      205/50ZR15 86 W
      225/50ZR16 92 W
      245/40ZR17 91 W
      255/40ZR17 94 W
      215/45ZR17/XL 91 W
      225/45ZR17 91 W
      315/30ZR18 98 W
      335/30ZR18 102 W
      275/35ZR18 95 W
      295/35ZR18 99 W
      245/40ZR18 93 W
      265/35ZR20/XL 99 W
      285/35ZR20 100 W
      315/35ZR20/XL 110 W

Country Flag: Canada
      I'm surprised/disappointed that they're not offering them in 275/40-17
      Tyson
      '95 Firebird Formula: suspension + 315's
      '66 Mustang Coupe, 289

I was at the BFG Rival event with Larry and I think this is going to be a great tire for Pro-Touring cars. It is easy to drive and has a lot of grip. I can't wait to test a set on my car. Now we have to wait until they go on sale.

Mark

I think they are on the TireRack website.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Quote Originally Posted by rentedmule View Post
      I'm surprised/disappointed that they're not offering them in 275/40-17
      Or 285's either. I hope there are more sizes than listed or they are losers again until I go 18" wheels.
      I was really excited when I saw this and then I jumped off the cliff.I still don't know who the idiot is that doesn't understand the 17" tire dilema and then to even forget 275's. I would have gone down a size to get them. I just don't get it?
      Maybe they will stick good enough with 255's on a 10" wheel?
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

BFG if you're reading this... more sizes, specifically 275/35 19!
      Oh, and I'm due for tires now.

They have 285 and 295 35 19s coming out in the next wave of sizes... Probably a few months after the ones on Tirerack.

Quote Originally Posted by aray327 View Post
      BFG if you're reading this... more sizes, specifically 275/35 19!
      Oh, and I'm due for tires now.
      I agree.....Kinda disapointed in sizing.... Any idea if more sizes will be available in the future? looking for a taller tire in 18" like 295/40/18
      Used to be known as 455regal

Quote Originally Posted by Tomswheels View Post
      They have 285 and 295 35 19s coming out in the next wave of sizes... Probably a few months after the ones on Tirerack.
      Since you appear to be in the know, any word on 275 40 17s?

Best,
      Don

Sorry Don, I only saw some of the 19 inch sizes...

I wonder why BFG didnt have any of the Dunlop's on site to test against or why times werent givin out? And running the Toyo R1R on anything bigger than a first gen Miata or a Honda Civic is just plain stupid. Those tires have been proven in the SCCA Auto-X community to not work anything as heavy as a Mustang or Camaro let alone an AWD pig like the Subaru...

Technically, the ZII, that I assume your are refering to weren't available at that point in time. Rumor has it that there was an unofficial back to back with the ZII and the Rival and it clearly favored the Rival. Terry touches on it in here http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/?p=583
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Any word on producing optional sizing?
      Used to be known as 455regal

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com