Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project "Jane Doe" 69 Camaro at Best of Show Coachworks

Welcome to my 69 Camaro Coupe build thread, known as “Jane Doe” until we come up with a name. I’m 5yrs into this build and never posted a project thread so here it is. If the guys at Best of Show finish the car before this thread gets posted I’ll never hear the end of it!

The story so far…..

Here she is back in 2005, as purchased, ready for a few days’ work to get her running and on the road again. It had come with a fresh SBC crate motor built by Joe Sherman Racing here in SoCal. The car was an older, driver quality restoration and it looked like it had been done "ok". An x11 car with a/c but after chasing numbers on an earlier project, I could care less. I had different plans for this one.

The crate motor and trans were just sitting in the car with nothing attached so before reconnecting everything I decided it was easy enough to pull the motor and trans to “clean up a few things”. Well, from there it spiraled out of control and I ended up with what I once heard Steve Rupp describe as a bad case of "While I'm here, I might as well ...".

Before I knew it I had completely gutted the car. I had stripped the underside, fitted DSE mini-tubs, replaced a tulip panel, smoothed the firewall and had most of the trim holes welded closed. Then off to have the entire shell media blasted inside and out including the doors & the front sheet metal.

The shell was really good except for a few issues. The passenger quarter had been replaced from below the sail panel leaving a cavernous weld that had been filled over with bondo and the drivers side had some rust down low that could be patched. I decided to have both full quarter panels. Here she is freshly stripped, right before being put in primer.

With the floors, trunk, doors, roof and everywhere else being solid, I would have a good canvas to start the build. Sweet!

The first shop took more than a year to replace both full quarters. Thankfully they did a quality job fitting, aligning and welding these. During that time they managed to "loose" most of my stock front sheet metal, steering and suspension. On top of that the car was left outside for weeks while still in etch primer! Needless to say it needed to be stripped again. I pulled the car from that shop. A total waste of money, time and extremely frustrating.
      Last edited by Gandalf; 10-21-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Project "Jane Doe" at Best of Show Coachworks - 69 Camaro

Not long before that I had met Steve Rupp who had introduced me to the guys at Best of Show Coachworks. They were less than 5min away so I literally trailered the car down there. After looking over the car together, I sat down with D!ck and we came up with a plan. Within a few days Best of Show got to work refinishing the previous metalwork including the firewall which was totally redone.

The car was then stripped section by section back to bare metal with the DA and lots of 3M cleanstrip wheels. It was great that BOS let me contribute my own labor to the process. I felt like I still had a connection to my own project and I didn't mind getting down and dirty to get any job done.

Several areas were POR15’d and later the entire shell was sealed-up in epoxy primer. We had collectively achieved more in 2wks than I had seen done in the previous year!

From there the guys got onto bodywork and primer. This was awesome progress after my experience at the previous shop. It would serve as ground-zero for the build ahead.

Last edited by Gandalf; 09-10-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Fast forward 10mths..... I did not have BOS do much more on the body itself. I did get most of the drivetrain & suspension pieces together.

I purchased a number of brand new items including a powdercoated AME subframe w/C6 suspension, ATS engine mounts, Art Morrison LS headers, Ron Davis Radiator and G-Bar setup. I also snagged a freshly built LS6 and 4sp auto as part of the deal but I had other plans.

The LS6/A4 was sold off to help secure an LS7 and FBody T56! I ordered up a few choice performance parts and took everything up to Charlie Williams @ RPM Motors in Santa Clarita to get some love ;-). Charlie has a great reputation as a high performance LSx builder and tuner, especially in the Corvette and CTS-V community. The stuff I see and hear in his shop makes my jaw drop. Charlie & I sat down and went through the build and came up with a plan. I supplied many of the build parts and let Charlie work his magic. I cannot wait to run this motor!

It also helps that RPM have their own in-house transmission shop with a TON of T56 builds to their credit so I had them build the T56 using some much stronger components.

I purchased a "G-Bar ready" Moser narrowed 9” rear and axles from Frank at Prodigy. We welded the G-Bar in place and BOS then sprayed the entire underside of the car with their Wurth StoneGuard. We mounted the GBar components and then the 9" rear.

With Matt overseeing the show, we introduced the freshly built engine and transmission to the sub-frame. From there we used DSE solid aluminum body mounts and polished hardware to mount the sub-frame to the body. A big day!

Like my new rollers? Leave your wheels scattered around the shop and they will be put to good use, Ha!

Since I had changed it up to the LS7 we figured this would be more than just a good idea to add some DSE subframe connectors.

They came out real nice - I had BOS make them a bolt-in with the Art Morrison sub-frame.
      Last edited by Gandalf; 10-21-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Aluminum center section from Currie arrived - 3.89 gears and TrueTrac should get the job done.

Delivery from Wilwood who helped us spec out the combination we were after:

All wired and ready to rock! Apparently not one of D!ck's favorite tasks......but still nice to know my rotors aren't going to come flying off anytime soon :-)

On to the custom roll-bar. Would have helped if I had taken photos when it came back from powedercoat and before I wrapped it for the install - oh well. You'll have to imagine it like I have to for now. Went in real nice.

Last edited by Gandalf; 12-10-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Gregg, let me know when you need me to hold parts. Also don't worry about Mark, he just decided to put a flat firewall on his car.

Matt

For some reason I REALLY like your hood.. and your wheels.. and your water pump and several other parts.. I feel a "connection" lol

Car is gonna be super cool when done and it's starting to make some serious progress!
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Nice Gregg, I saw your car in Camaro Performers recently. Looks like you are well on your way to completion.
      1969 CAMARO RS

2002 LS1-T56 Dyno results: 452 rwhp, 425 rwtq
      Project pics of my '69
      Lateral-G Feature Page
      Camaro Performers Magazine Feature

Fast forward to November, 2010....

While at SEMA again this year, I got to see Steilow’s latest build and realized the overall simplicity but quality of that car was exactly what I was wanting (for most of us the LS9 and ABS will have to wait). That and several other quality builds really had me nail most every other (major) design decision I had to make for my build. Seeing some of those same cars go out and run hard at optima a few days later just completed the picture for me and I came home all fired-up! Now that Matt’s car is baked and Penny has gone home for a while, I can get some “me” time at BOS.
      Last edited by Gandalf; 09-10-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Out comes the aircraft stripper......

Lots of bodywork including fitting the trunklid from Matt @ Anvil. More Carbon fiber goodness coming from Anvil - almost seems a shame to cover them with paint!

So now "somebody" thinks his ass is funny when he shows me the freshly applied PINK guide-coat! Very funny. I'm not the one who now has to sand it all off again.... :-)

The boys really knocked it out of the park with the bodywork - lines and gaps are looking killer already.

The overall theme called for a few small modifications to the body but I did not want to detract from the original lines of the car. I liked the thought of raising the filler from down behind the license plate. We'll tidy up the bumpers front and rear, delete the door and trunk locks but keep the original door handles.

Last edited by Gandalf; 10-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.

boy that looks great should be amazing when done cant wait to see it
      john
      1972 NOVA SPEED TECH TORQUE ARM AND FRONT ARMS , RUSHFORTH NIGHT TRAINS, DRIVERZ INC
      BUILD LINK
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t-(GREY-MATTER)

Looks awesome----everything that BOS lays their hands on comes out amazing come to think about it. U must be very stoked that it is making such great progress and coming out so well---congrats! Hope you guys do make it out for RTTC--would be great to see the car in person.

Doug

so, you are going PINK, huh? Nice touch.

Looks like they have done a few things since I seen it last. Good luck with everything. I will be watching.
      67 Camaro convertible (Jinx)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

With Matt overseeing the show, we finally got to introduce the engine and transmission to the sub-frame and then the sub-frame to the body. We used DSE solid mounts and hardware. A big day!

Dude, as I recall I wasn't the primary supervisor, that day the shop looked like a caltrans work site.

Matt

It's like a trunk monkey but farther forward in the car...
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

LOL!! I knew I should NOT have deleted the trunk lock!
      Last edited by Gandalf; 12-11-2010 at 09:47 AM.

The boys at BOS continued to block the entire car AGAIN and refine the bodywork even more. The firewall was also blocked and the car given some final fit and finish.

A familiar looking all Carbon Fiber cowl hood from Anvil

The car was blown apart again. Jesus got down to work and gave the firewall area and inner fenders a few layers of Hot Rod Black. The door jams also received sealer and their respective base and clear coats. Finally some color - woot!

With the front sheetmetal off the car one last time, we took the opportunity to unbolt the sub-frame and take care of a few things. I removed the engine and transmission, cleaned-up the subframe and suspension.

Received my SupertTwin P-Trim clutch and flywheel setup from Jeremy @ Spec. Looking forward to a quiet, reasonable effort 1400lb-capable twin clutch.

Paul @ TurnKey installed the updated pilot bearing, SPEC flywheel & clutch. The guys there are great and their facility is like going to LS-heaven. Tons of engines and bins of go-fast parts for LS engines.

Last edited by Gandalf; 10-22-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Everything back together and ready for front sheetmetal. I confess I did not realize just HOW great the engine would look against the Hot Rod Black firewall.

Ok - reassemble the front end one last time before paint. That boy Jesus can mask a car quicker than anyone I've seen!

Time for some paint.... Jon sealed the body Thursday and painted all day Friday. The weather was perfect (for the paint process anyway - we're not sure about Jon)

Outside a few days later, still curing. Tough color to photograph.

Let the colorsanding begin.....
      Last edited by Gandalf; 02-02-2011 at 12:23 AM.

That's bad ass. I didn't see it posted - what color is that?
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

After a week and a half of colorsanding and buffing (even from the phone pics in the v. late afternoon sun you can still catch a hint of what all the hard work produced). Jon tells me there's still 2 or 3 stages to go but he refuses to do them until "you guys and your grubby fingers have finished assembling the rest of the car". um, er, "ok Jon" :-)

Last edited by Gandalf; 09-10-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Jury is out on the red calipers distracting from the paint and bodywork.
      Last edited by Gandalf; 09-10-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com