Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      No problem Andrew, just thought I'd throw it on the table.

Did you see this thread?
      Yes, I did see that thread, but I am trying to "kick it up" a notch in terms of quality. I'll probably eventually merge this thread with that one, but I want to keep it separate for now to get some more feedback.

As I see it, the worst possible solution is connecting an iPod to an amp via the headphone jack. My amp actually is configurable to accept even the low voltage output of the iPod (30mV per channel), but the amp is not happy with that. On top of that, the headphone output is going through the crappy internal DAC and the signal is really optimized for playback through headphone, which I think kills the low end.

The second best alternative is to take the iPod output from the dock connector. This is how many factory and aftermarket headunits are now configured. The headunits act as the pre-amp and sometimes even as a DAC. I have read that some of the Apline and I am sure other makes, have a built in DAC that processes a pure digital signal from an iPod and then feeds a good quality, high voltage signal.

If I wanted to install one of these headunits, then that would solve my problem. but of course I have to do things the hard way...LOL

If I use the iStreamer, that will extract the best possible signal from an iPod, but since I don't have a headunit, I still need a pre-amps with a volume control. The CL-RLC seems to fill that void nicely and provide a clean 7.5 volt signal to my amp and give me volume control.

I think I have it all sorted in my head, but it just seems too simple, hence my post...LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hurry up and figure this out so I can copy what you do!

I'm looking at building a custom console and I want to incorporate a dock for either my iPhone or iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
      Hurry up and figure this out so I can copy what you do!

I'm looking at building a custom console and I want to incorporate a dock for either my iPhone or iPad.
      Well, unfortunately I won't be able to test this out in my own car for a while.

Why don't you try it and see how it goes? The CL-RLC is only about 50 dollars. You can use it as a direct interface between the amp and the iPod. You will need a cable like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Audio-I...239342&sr=8-44

Just make sure that it will work with the specific device that you plan to use. Many of these cables only seem to work with certain "i" products.

The iStreamer is optional but personally I feel that it would boost the quality of the overall system. It too is not very expensive, so maybe you can be the first to try it...:-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Assuming you can control your amp with an external volume knob like I can, how is the part you are looking at any differnt than a AV-iPD from Precision Interface Electronics? It converts the dock connector to RCA level audio and charges you I pod as well. I'm not an electronic type so I am asking if your proposal is better than what I am running.

Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Assuming you can control your amp with an external volume knob like I can, how is the part you are looking at any differnt than a AV-iPD from Precision Interface Electronics? It converts the dock connector to RCA level audio and charges you I pod as well. I'm not an electronic type so I am asking if your proposal is better than what I am running.

Donny
      Are you referring to the iStreamer?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Yeah, either the istreamer or the piece from nuforce. I guess, due to my ignorance in the elctronics field, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are currently getting your sound from the headphone jack?

I might have to, Andrew. ;)

Yeah, either the istreamer or the piece from nuforce. I guess, due to my ignorance in the elctronics field, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are currently getting your sound from the headphone jack?
      Yes, currently I am taking the signal from the headphone jack and I am using my iPod as the pre-amp (volume control) and the music source.

After more reading, I don't believe that the Nuforce box will work because the volume control is only for the headphone port.

All digital media, be it on your iPod, iPhone, computer, or even on a CD store music information in digital format. That is, the music is in the form of a sequence of 1s and 0s aka binary. In order for the binary information to be heard by our ears, it must be converted into analog (wave) form. This conversion from digital to analog is handled by a device very creatively named a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC).

On portable devices, such as an iPod, the DAC function is on an integrated circuit or chip. While this is OK for listening to music on headphones, there is a definite loss in quality. In order to take advantage of an iPods portability, but enhance the sound quality we can use a device, like the iStreamer, to make playback more dynamic and musical. The iStreamer functions as an external DAC with better circuitry as compared to the built-in DAC on an iPod.

If the iStreamer is used with an amp there is no way to adjust the volume, because the digital signal from an iPod is fixed and the iPod can no longer control the volume. The CL-RLC performs the pre-amp function and it sends a high voltage signal to the amp.

Unless I am missing something, this set-up should work amazingly well and not require a headunit, which is what's driving me to this solution in the first place.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I just merged my external DAC thread with the iPod to external amp thread. All comments on my external DAC idea are welcome.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

So the music coming from the headphone Jack is converted internally. Got it. What signal
      comes out of the dock port? Digital or analog? I'm assuming it is analog That was also already converted from digital.....

Did some digging and it appears that the dock port outputs both digital and analog signals.

This guy says there isn't much difference between the two. Take from it what you will. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...surements.html

So the music coming from the headphone Jack is converted internally. Got it. What signal
      comes out of the dock port? Digital or analog? I'm assuming it is analog That was also already converted from digital.....

Did some digging and it appears that the dock port outputs both digital and analog signals.
      I believe that the dock can send out either a digital or analog signal. The makers of iStreamer have been working with Apple to extract the digital signal so that it can be processed through their DAC circuitry.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I ordered the iStreamer. Right now it will be used on my home stereo, but I will definitely be trying it out in the car next summer. I will report on the results for the home stereo. I see no reason why it won't respond in a similar way with a good car system.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I got the iStreamer today and I can say that it makes a noticeable difference when installed in my home stereo. The sound just opens up and is more dynamic. It can be powered off a USB port so any of the little USM cigarette lighter adapters should work just fine. This isn't really a super inexpensive solution. Some of the head units on the market have their own built in DACs are are probably the same price as the iStreamer. Still, this is a very good solution if anyone doesn't want or doesn't have room for a headunit.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I am a llittle late to this party, but I have heard lots of good things on the Audison Bit one. It is a processor as well and may be way beyond what anyone wants to do but here is a link.

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/audi...-one-processor

Quote Originally Posted by Payton King View Post
      I am a llittle late to this party, but I have heard lots of good things on the Audison Bit one. It is a processor as well and may be way beyond what anyone wants to do but here is a link.

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/audi...-one-processor
      Interesting box. Looks like it would be great for fine tuning. It is also a thousand bucks...LOL I read through the manual and I wasn't exactly convinced that it can take a digital source from an iPod. It can process an optical link from headunits that have such output, but the iPod input is shown as RCA, which to me says that it does not perform the DAC function for iPods. The manual wasn't 100% clear on this point. This box would be awesome for tuning a system with multiple amps and where the preservation of the factory headunit is important.

For my needs, the JL CL-RLC will work as the pre-amp, since I have no need to integrate any other input sources.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I wanted to give everyone an update with regards to the iStreamer. I had a chance to visit my GTO and go on a little road trip to RTOS.

As a reminder, my previous system used the headphone jack from my iPhone and fed that directly to my Xtant amp. This worked OK, but I wanted something better.

I picked up an iStreamer, which is an external DAC, and have used in with great results on my home system. The iStreamer is powered via USB so it is easy to implement in the car. It requires a cigarette lighter adapter that is capable of 2.1amps, which is the same as for an iPad.

So my iStreamer powered via a USB adapter and it takes input from my iPhone via the dock connector. The iStreamer charges the phone while also providing a high quality DAC function. The output of the iStreamer is then fed to the CL-RLC, which essentially functions as the pre-amp. The CL-RLC has a high quality 7v output that is then fed to the amp. I had to change the input gain jumpers on my amp to accommodate the higher voltage signal and then re-tune the gains.

The end result was pretty dramatic. The iStreamer really improves the depth of sound and clarity as compared to the built-in DAC on the iPhone which is really only designed for use with ear-bud headphones. The volume is controlled by a little knob which comes off the CL-RLC and can be mounted almost anywhere. I will eventually mount it in my dash, but the wiper switch, where it won't even be visible.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

You can also use an iSimple IS76PRO that gives you rca outputs for your amp, charges your iphone,ipad and ipod plus a video rca out so you can view your video media if you decide to add a monitor. You pair it a PAC volume control ann you are in bussiness

I am about to install the kicker pxi50.2 unit. It is designed for boats/lawnmowers/PWCs, BUT it will work on any 12v system and it has mega low power draw. It comes with a controls pad that is backlit. It is only a 50wx2, but i am using the preamp out to push my speakers and sub through a 5 channel amp ( 6x9s and 5.25 speakers plus a 10" sub) .

I'll post up a review after I get it in and cranking. I'm in the midst of rewiring the entire car, so it may be a bit.

http://www.kicker.com/pxi502
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

Wow, that Kicker part looks ideal. A 12v amp designed to connect to an iPod/Phone/Pad with differential power filtering. If it works as advertised, it's perfect.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com