Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

iPod connected directly to an amp

If you have no head unit and just want to use your iPod for your stereo system whats the best way to connect it to an amp ???

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

yep.. it has been discussed.

We ran the iPod in Penny from the headphone jack to the amp.. works great except the idiots at Apple made it so the unit won't charge when outputting audio through the headphone jack.

No good reason why, just some stupid thing they did in the software.
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Did a search and saw that one but the subject line made me skip over it. Good info. Thanks.
      67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

I was very happy with my final solution. All the controls were at my finger tips (though the volume was just a big tricky), and the fidelity was very good, once I got the Navone piece in place.

I don't if I'll ever install a head unit again. Just use the iPhone or iPod. Let us know how you make out.

jp
      John Parsons

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=446

This increases line out voltage to the amp for better sound quality and you have a knob to adjust volume

Quote Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
      http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=446

This increases line out voltage to the amp for better sound quality and you have a knob to adjust volume
      This is exactly what I have and I think it works well. It uses a set of RCA inputs, so you can literally use any input source you want. I chose to use the iphone kit that charges the phone while it is being used (Isimple IS76)
      Wayne
      1967 Camaro - Done!
      1968 Camaro - Underway

The very latest: using iOS 4.1, you now have volume control on your iPhone if you use a Bluetooth adapter to connect the iPhone to your amp.

Now to find an amp with built-in BT support.

jp
      John Parsons

Would guys mind sharing what you did? I see the link and have read alot of back and forth noise issues with the Ipod or phone but can not get a clear understanding what I need..

The link is gone bye bye...

I'm running two 6.5" front kick speakers and some sort of 6x9 in the back. Do I need a 4 channel amp? What type of amp? One that has volume control I assume? What about the connections that is needed from the Ipod to the amp. I know its a simple RCA connection but waht about the noise issue John had? Can the Ipod be charged through the amp?

Any help would be great
      1970 NOVA..Ls2/Tko..Speedtech/Chicayne, Alston Glink

Chuck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
      yep.. it has been discussed.

We ran the iPod in Penny from the headphone jack to the amp.. works great except the idiots at Apple made it so the unit won't charge when outputting audio through the headphone jack.

No good reason why, just some stupid thing they did in the software.

Use my 3GS at my shop all the time with a headphone jack to the shop stereo rca jacks and an ipod cable plugged in the wall to keep it charged while playing songs, pandora, etc all day long.
      Greg
      1970 challenger convert-in process
      1970 barracuda-driver

Chuck, have a look here. I think it addresses your questions:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...iphone+navrone
      John Parsons

I looked at that thread I did notice a few key pieces, but let me ask you this. In the end was it actually easier? When I call Crutchfield they are very un helpful. He says he's not sure of what kind of adpaters I would need.

So my question is, What turns on the power to the amp? Typically its a head unit, or can you use a key hot?

With all the little things you used including the noise suppressor did you save any money over buying a decent deck? Or was keeping it clean the priority in going this route?

Thanks for all the help. Im trying to decide if using your idea would suit my needs, I don have an aftermarket gauge panel so cutting it up wouldnt hurt my feelings.

Chuck D.

My setup had a 2 channel amp, 5 speakers (2 mids, 2 tweeters, 1 sub), 2 crossovers (part of the speaker kit for the mids and tweeters), the Navone part, a volume control, and the PAC connector.

The PAC connector goes from the iPhone (via dock connector) to the volume control to the amp, all done with simple RCA connectors. The Navone part takes switched power and chassis ground, and supplies switched power and ground to the PAC connector plus the power (turn-on) signal to the amp. The amp's main power comes directly from the battery.

It's a *lot* simpler than connecting up a deck, pre-amp, and amp system with aux input for your iPhone/iPod.

Hope that helps.

jp
      John Parsons

Perfect..I saw the part numbers you listed, I werent sure what they were so I Googled it...Makes sense. I think the only other question for you is, I will most likely using my spare Ipod Touch I have so do I still use the PAC ICAV2? When my Ipod is hooked up to my radio directly I think the face stays lit was that the case on your phone?

Thanks Jon.

I know this is all simple stuff just want to get my ducks in a row before I start ordering parts.

Chuck D.

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post

corrected link:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...%20head%20unit

Larry made a change during/right after the upgrade and the /forum/ has to come out of the urls of old links, even profile links in chat.

Carry on.

edit : john's last link is the same, i just looked at the one at the top.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Yes, you want the AV2 for an Ipod Touch. I actually tested with my son's Ipod Touch so I know it worked well. The face stays lit, and it charges the device too.

That's the other thing I found: it was nice to be able to tell people "Sure, let's connect your iPod and listen to your music".

jp
      John Parsons

You rock Jon...Thanks for your advice and taking the time to answer my questions...Now people are going to think Im the genious running my Ipod...hahahaha

Thanks again!

Chuck D.

You're welcome. That's what this site is all about. Report back with pictures when you have it working.

jp
      John Parsons

I played with my audio system in my vette a little last fall before winter set in. I have a pair of 6x9's in the back, speakers in the kick panels and upgraded dash speakers. When I built a new center section for the extra gauges for the turbo install, I lost room for a head unit. I always wondered why anybody would need a head unit these days anyway what with all the ipod/phone players. After reading John's post about his iphone hookup, I decided I had to try that. I didnt have an amp on my speakers so I went to wally world and bought a hundred dollar sony 4 channel amp and hooked the six speakers to it. Got a headphone to rca cable and a couple of splitters and plugged it all in. I used the gain control to set front to rear volume and all in all it sounds pretty darned good, tons of volume and the eq settings on my ipod touch work very good for a tone control. I would also be happy if someone made a small box o say the size of my roady 2 portable xm receiver, that could mount almost anywhere and had the capability of having am/fm/xm. I think that would be cool too. I also like the looks of that new "Mi-Mod" system that is out. If I got that I could maybe take all the gauges out and put a touch screen there and have all kinds of stuff. Ah technology!!
      Turbos, 1700.00
      Hot Side, 1500.00
      Cold Side, 1,000.00
      Fuel System, 1,000.00
      The look on the face of whomever the passenger is when the tires break loose at o say 70 mph or so........priceless

Or... snag the XM Sirius app for your iPhone, and play that. I can listen to Pandora and MLB.com just fine while driving down the road.

jp
      John Parsons

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com