Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

anyone make a homemade tube bending die?

I'm in the process of making a tube bending die, they are so expensive and everyone is making the bender itself but not the die so I am attempting to make my own (die), curious if anyone else has made there own? I'll post pics tomorrow if I have a chance to snap any

Country Flag: United States
      I have a bender that I will be getting a new die for soon. I think that the $300 for a die set is way better than the cost of the tools that I would need to produce my own die. If you can turn em out with good quality for a better price, let me know.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I by all means do not have the proper tooling to make a die like the ones you buy, but I am going to try to fabricate one, here's a pic of one from another forum, this one is not mine but I plan to make something kinda like it
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      My friend Brian Schein made one. It worked perfectly, and I used it to bend the J-bars on II Much. He used a big chunk of aluminum, not sure what alloy.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I have made a few, Saved some money, no problems. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
      I have made a few, Saved some money, no problems. Enjoy.
      how bout sum pics? and details

I just got a slice of 1010 the diameter of my CLR, threw it in the lathe, cut the radius of the tube in the circumference, bored a hole in the center, cut a slice out on the band saw, surfaced it in the mill, drilled the hole pattern through the top. Welded on a tab and center pivot. Piece of cake!

I did this one to replicate original headers for an old Harley.

here is the bender i built about 6 years ago that john is talking about I coped it of the mitler bros bender. made the die on a huge takasawa cnc lathe and did a the milling manual. When I look at pictures of stuff like this it makes me depressed that i dont work in a machein shop any more
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Brian Schein

Here's a link on a junkyard build tube bender and die: http://www.thefont.pwp.blueyonder.co...ube_bender.htm

Only works on a certain size tubing though I believe. I never spent a lot of time researching the link because I've never had the necessity to build one.

Mathius

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com