Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 64 Gto

Country Flag: United States

64 Gto

I saw this for sale right around the corner and couldn't pass it up. It's a PHS documented car but someone has pilfered the GTO front clip and a lot of the GTO parts. Since I'm not planning to restore it I figured it would be a good candidate for a pro-touring project. Rust in the rear passenger floor, under the back seat on the driver's side, in the rear window channel, trunk weatherstrip channel and a 4 inch rust spot in the trunk. Other than that and a lot of dents it seems solid. The firewall is rust free and you can still see the original factory stamps. I still have to finish the 69 Firebird but while I'm doing that I'm looking for parts and/or a parts car.

Don

Attached Images Attached Images        

looks awsome! what plans have you got for it?
      Colin Russ

Looks sweet, '64 will always be my favorite.
      Matt
      1965 Pontiac GTO – Spotts 421 Tripower | TKO600 | 3.90s | Vintage AC | Baers | Hotchkis/SPC/BMR Suspension | Intro Vistas | BFG KDW Redlines | 06 GTO Seats

Dhutton-that's a good-sized shop you got there!

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gun
      looks awsome! what plans have you got for it?
      Nothing firm. I'd like to see an LS2 with a Art Morrison or Schwartz frame. Big brakes. If the budget is tight maybe the stock frame with Hotchkis suspension. First thing is to take it apart and get the body work done. I try to do everything myself so these things take time. Been working on my 69 Firebird for 18 months and there's still another 6 to 12 left.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by cheapta
      Dhutton-that's a good-sized shop you got there!
      It's 42x60 and it's not big enough. I guess they never are. Been thinking about building a home brew paint booth with storage on top to free up some space.

Don

Back from the dead. I finally started into this a year ago. I lost count but I think I installed 22 patches. The car was a lot rougher than I thought and I even had to replace the B pillars with ones from a donor car I picked up. The car had a vinyl top and someone had done some really poor quality repairs. Since factory style panels are not available I had lots of opportunities to improve my butt welding skills. I have definitely learned my lesson on these project car impulse buys. Parts for these cars are costly compared to the more common muscle cars.

This is my second attempt at painting a car. Still have a lot to learn, wish I had someone nearby to coach me a little. After many hours of body work and blocking I laid down two coats of HOK black sealer, 3 coats of silver base, 4 coats of brandywine kandy base, three coats of clear, wet sanded and finally another 3 coats of clear. Here's a few pics after a cut and buff. Still a little more work to do here but my AADD is kicking in and I need to move onto something else for a while.

The frame is blasted and painted and the suspension is rebuilt including SPC upper and lower arms, DSE steering box, AFX spindles, Hothckis shocks, Currietrac rear arms, Helwig front and rear sway bars and NAPA premium ball joints etc. Brakes will be C5 front and LS1 rear with power boosted Wilwood master. I have a 68 Chevelle 12 bolt rebuilt with TruTrac posi and 3.72 gears.

The economy limited my engine choices so it will be an LS1 mated to a T56 with a Pat G cam and AFR 210 heads. The goal is good low and midrange torque that will hopefully be a little reminiscent of the original Pontiac 389 and four speed.

And finally I picked these up for a great price on a BMW forum. I think these wheels look great on old muscle cars and these ones came in the correct offsets for the GTO. 19 by 8.5 and 10. I would have preferred 18 on the front but you can't be too picky when shopping for used BMW HRE wheels to fit a 64 Goat. Still have to get some hubcentric rings and tires mounted.

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

nice job on the paint. i also am doing a 64.

wow looks great! can't wait to see the wheels on the car
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Love the color and the choice of HREs Don. I'm glad to see this being built. The 64 GTO is such a great looking car. Very few are modified because of their rarity and status. Keep up the good work as I think this is going to look killer.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

And back from the dead once again. Took the first drive yesterday. Still some sorting to do but overall I was happy. The build became more resto-mod than pro-touring. Ride is quite different from my Firebird with the AME subframe and G-Bar. Here are a couple of pics. I had to raise the front a little since taking these pics due to tire rub and I think it looks better with a little less rake.

1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

My oh my... Wow!
      BJ

66 GTO LY6/4l80e

Build Thread on LS1tech

Never a huge fan of the 64.............. But I just became one....
      Troy
      67GTO

Jesus... that car turned out beautifully! Nice work! Would love to see some more pics of the interior and engine!
      My 65' Impala SS
      6.2 L L92
      4L80E
      13" Disc Brakes
      18/20 Wheels

oh wow looks great!! congrats!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

I love the 64s.

You went with just the Before and After pics. I want to see the 1000s pics that should be in the middle!
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Nice, love the color and wheels.

Thanks guys. I don't have any good pics of the interior but maybe that is just as well for the die hard Pontiac fans. I've never been a fan of the early Pontiac upholstery and was having some difficulty deciding what to do when I came across the TMI sport seats for the Chevelle. They looked good and had extra bolstering to update them a little. So I decided to go with the 65 seats and door panels. As it turns out no amount of upholstery can turn those old seats into modern ones. They are OK and get the job done but I much prefer the Procar Rally seats I had in my Firebird or the Recaros in my DD. I also added Nu-Relics power windows and remote door locks.

Here is a shot of the engine. I tried to get a "factory" look rather than trying to bling it up.

1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com