PDA

View Full Version : Why no Goodguys Event in Wisconsin or Chicago

old66tiger
04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
We used to have a Goodguys event in Madison and that was lots of fun. Then it went to chicago and that was OK, just more of a road trip. Now, nothing, nada, ziltch, squat. Why isn't there a goodguys even in Milwaukee? Huge car crowd, close to Chicago and the Fox Valley area. You would think you would draw a great crowd. There is State Fair park for autoX, Milwaukee Mile oval, Union Grove drags, etc, etc. Not to mention the legendary HWY 100 cruise route.

cmraman
04-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Weather was a factor, rained last 2 or 3 years. Car count was low partly due to weather. Plus latest is the track didn't seem to want it anymore. I think also, Joliet wasn't good for the location.... Way out away from food, gas, and hotels were quite a distance.

dontlifttoshift
04-17-2013, 03:33 AM
Blame the guys who didn't attend the event.

Goodguy Ed
04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, Goodguys is alway looking to get back to markets that we think should have an event and the Chicago/Wisconsin area is always on our list. We are working on 2014 events right now and hope to put one back in your area so look for it around SEMA time to be on our schedule.
We have to get more events around Donny so he can AutoCross more......
Goodguys Ed

dontlifttoshift
04-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Man, that would be outstanding!

eric1967
04-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Thats great news.

old66tiger
04-19-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm in. Milwaukee or Madison would be awesome. I would think Milwaukee would be better due to the close proximity to Chicago. Lots of hotels, restaurants, night life, and I think there is a pretty big AutoX group in the area. Plus the race tracks in the area.

Goodguy Ed
04-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Hey let us know what you think of Oshkosh WI...maybe Memorial Day Weekend? What is going on around there during that time?
Goodguy Ed

vintageracer
04-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Illinois or Wisconsin in November "around SEMA time"?

That's a chilling thought!

mpozzi
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Illinois or Wisconsin in November "around SEMA time"?

That's a chilling thought!

That's when they'll announce if an event will happen ...

Mary Pozzi

Dead Hole
04-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Hey let us know what you think of Oshkosh WI...maybe Memorial Day Weekend? What is going on around there during that time?
Goodguy Ed

I would think south of Oshkosh would be better.. People making the trip form the east would have to come around the lake and Chicago. Years ago it was held in Waukesha Wi. I thought that was a great place and alot of hotels and food.. Weather wasn't the best but great park.. There is alot of streetrods and cruisers in this part of Wisconsin.

old66tiger
04-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Oshkosh would be OK but I would think Milwaukee are would be better. Milwaukee is about 2 hours from Greenbay and would draw well from the Greenbay, Oshkosh area. Only 1 hour for Madison and roughly 2 hours from Chicago. Good selections of hotels. Waukesha is a good spot. Out of the city a short distance and an overall nice area. I would think West Allis State Fair Park would be ideal for the show. Close to interstate highways and downtown attractions.

LowFast
04-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Oshkosh would be OK but I would think Milwaukee are would be better. Milwaukee is about 2 hours from Greenbay and would draw well from the Greenbay, Oshkosh area. Only 1 hour for Madison and roughly 2 hours from Chicago. Good selections of hotels. Waukesha is a good spot. Out of the city a short distance and an overall nice area. I would think West Allis State Fair Park would be ideal for the show. Close to interstate highways and downtown attractions.

I would attend this.

old66tiger
04-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Madison would be good too due to the wealth of hotels and the large Alliant center for the event. No drag track close by if that even matters. Tons of awesome restaurants.

tommycomfort
04-26-2013, 04:42 AM
Goodguy Ed

Ed,
Not that it would make much of a dent in a Goodguys event, but Memorial Day weekend is usually when Mark Bowler's Midwest Musclecar Challenge is down in Lawrenceville, IL. Might effect some of the hard core auto-x/Pro-Touring guys.
You could always set the thing up at a road course or big auto-x and combine them... ;-)
Tom

Goodguy Ed
04-29-2013, 07:30 AM
The date we are looking at is the weekend after Memorial Weekend so 1st of June. Goodguys was in Waukesha for several years and it was a cold time of year and we did not get the spectators at that event. We moved it to Madison and did not get cars or spectators so if we decide to come back to the area we will need all the support from the local car guys to make it stay up in that area.
If this goes forward I will let you know. We will announce it at SEMA.
Thanks Goodguy Ed

LowFast
04-29-2013, 07:40 AM
You have support from this Madison car guy! Hell, I would most likely trailer my non-running Falcon to the show if it is held here. If they announce this I need to find someone local with a trailer. :help!:

Dead Hole
04-29-2013, 07:36 PM
You have support from this Madison car guy! Hell, I would most likely trailer my non-running Falcon to the show if it is held here. If they announce this I need to find someone local with a trailer. :help!:

If there is a GoodGuys show in the Wisconsin Area.. Ill put a pushbar on my car and well get your car there......Then ill push you around the Autocross Track.. Just think of all the money you will save.. One of the biggest Street rod shows are held in Minnesota ( Back to the fiftys) There is alot of cars in the area..

LowFast
04-30-2013, 03:11 AM
If there is a GoodGuys show in the Wisconsin Area.. Ill put a pushbar on my car and well get your car there......Then ill push you around the Autocross Track.. Just think of all the money you will save..

How much power you putting to the wheels, I want to be able to brag about the power motivating my car. :6gears:

old66tiger
04-30-2013, 05:55 AM
The date we are looking at is the weekend after Memorial Weekend so 1st of June. Goodguys was in Waukesha for several years and it was a cold time of year and we did not get the spectators at that event. We moved it to Madison and did not get cars or spectators so if we decide to come back to the area we will need all the support from the local car guys to make it stay up in that area.
If this goes forward I will let you know. We will announce it at SEMA.
Thanks Goodguy Ed I'm in. We need to get this organized early on to ensure high attendance. Wisconsin Collector car website is a good place to post. The big show in Chicago would be a good place to advertise. Lots of opportunities.

dontlifttoshift
04-30-2013, 06:43 AM
It is not a problem of cars available in the area to attend a show in Wisconsin. The problem is that many people in Wisconsin have short arms and won't reach deep enough in their pocket to spend 50 bucks to go to a car show. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. I attended every show in Waukesha and Madison as well as the NSRA shows in Milwaukee (at State Fair Park) and ran into many, many "car guys" that were there without their car. Said attendees proceeded to complain that there weren't enough cars or vendors........I don't get it. Joliet wasn't any different. Madison was 10 times the venue that Waukesha was. I loved it there. Plenty of hotels and restaurants and plenty of grass and pavement for the show.

I very much would like a show back in my backyard again. I hope Goodguys can make it work.

LowFast
04-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Well, I am a Texan, just happen to live up in Wisconsin, I have no problem forking over the dough. Damn State taxes must be taking everyones extra coin. :doh: Coming from the Fort Worth GG I have high expectations.

old66tiger
06-25-2013, 06:02 PM
You get what you pay for. LOL.
Well, I am a Texan, just happen to live up in Wisconsin, I have no problem forking over the dough. Damn State taxes must be taking everyones extra coin. :doh: Coming from the Fort Worth GG I have high expectations.

kochevy67
06-26-2013, 05:50 AM
I live in Chicago and can tell you that the Joliet track is and obviously was a bad idea. I don't know what it is but damn near every event held there fails sooner or later. I would gladly travel to Wisconsin for a GG show. I just hope it is near decent hotels and not in the hood in Milwaukee.

LowFast
06-26-2013, 06:05 AM
If by that you mean more liberal hippies and prius than I can stomach, then yes I have had my fill.

Django
07-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Hi Ed!
We went to Joliet every year (and hosted the pre-party at the shop) and it was always fun. I'd like to see it come back to Chicago. There are plenty of more intimate places to have the show around Chicagoland. Just don't do it the second weekend in June! :) Hunnert Car Heads Up is that weekend at Great Lakes Dragaway.