PDA

View Full Version : would it be pro-touring or ????

Pro-touring towncar
09-06-2004, 05:15 PM
I am looking to get another vehicle that I may turn pro-touring but am not sure if it would be concidered one.

It is a 97 Mercury Mountaineer AWD. I already have a off road truck but want to get another 4 wheel drive because of the drive both me and my wife have to work I drive 50 miles east to Cheyenne and my wife goes 20 miles west to school. I have thought about another explorer type vehicle to make in to a handler. the mountaineer had full time all wheel drive so handling would be good. being a 5.0 mustang motor they have lotsa performance possiblitys. Aftermarket parts are available. I think dropping it about 2" would be right adding performance tires, good shocks and sway bars. It should handle quite well.

What's the general concenses on this???

Tim

Pzary3233
09-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Tim,

Yeah I think that sounds like really good idea, anything to help it handle better... but From driving SUVs (as you have) you know that they have a really high center of gravity which I feel would make it harder to handle... I know blazerspeed i working on his blazer to handle the twisties... I think that the AWD will help a good bit! Another option that you might want to think about is an AWD Sedan? Granted I have o idea what you need your vehicle for besides your daily commute.

I say go for it and be original!

BlazerSpeed
09-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Well I figure I'll throw my opinion into this mix. As was stated im working with an AWD S10 blazer. Look at it this way, back in the early 90's the truck to beat was the syclone and the typhoon. AWD, Turbo, Low center of gravity. Here are some of the biggest problems you will face if you decide to take on a project like this:

1) what are the suspension options for you to work with. I had to work against the fact that S10s have a torsion bar front suspension, not easy to work with. This alone will be your largest limiting factor, unless you are already a suspension whiz, then your in the clear. also, hotchkis is just now developing swaybars for my style vehicle. The only reason they even are is because more and more people are turning there trucks into performers. Ford trucks could be a different story.

2) are there any quality brake upgrades for you vehicle. Like most other SUVs they dont start with the worlds greatest brakes. Do some searching see what there is to offer.

3) Transfer case. Very touchy part of the drive train. Your motor could be beefy, trans can be bullet proof, but if your TC goes out you lose all power to the ground. Also, if you do a motor upgrade you need to make sure your oil pan will clear the front suspension/driveline.

I could talk about difficulties till Im blue, but honestly if you want it, do it. I think its an awsome idea. after all, my goal is a bad ass truck that is cheaper than a Typhoon, but will easily compete with the likes of a WRX or Evo. Then I can say that i gave you the idea :icon996:

DEREK

MarkM66
09-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Since you're just looking for opinions. Two big strikes against it;

1. It's foreign

2. It's way to new.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, as if it's what you want, go for it. But I don't think anyone will consider it "Pro-Touring."

Foudie
09-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Saleen edition of the Explorer. That was a good handling, comfortable, quick and practical performance concept for an SUV. I bet many of the parts produced to make the Saleen Explorer would translate to the Mountanier.

Pro-touring towncar
09-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Ah, Mark what make Mercury foreign.

Derek, the newer (95-02) explorer/Mountaineer are t-bar fronts, like the blazer. Also the motor is a 5.0 mustang gt-40 so performance is realy not a problem. Last time I checked I think Baer had brake up grades but that was before they changed there site and now can't find kaka.
Well anyway it is an idea , I still need to see if I can even get the truck.

Tim

Nine Ball
09-08-2004, 03:19 PM
personally, I wouldn't consider it pro-touring. I'd consider it a sport truck.

Richz68
09-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Personally I don't think cars/trucks need a label..... but I think anything that is AWD is BADASS!!!! Even my '95 Mark III Astro Conversion Van!!!

AWD is the way to go if you can do it! I prefer it over 4X4, but that is because I do not go off roading or trail riding.

DO IT and you won't be sorry!!

MarkM66
09-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Ah, Mark what make Mercury foreign.

LOL, You're right there. I guess I just read montaineer, and was thinking Toyota or something, :hammer: .