PDA

View Full Version : Dearching leaf springs?

Todds69
09-06-2004, 02:19 PM
I have a 69 Camaro with new leaf springs in the rear and was wanting to switch over to the more pro-touring look. I would like to dearch the springs about 2-2.5". I was wondering if this is a good idea or is it better to purchase new ones already lowered. $70 to dearch the pair. I figured its alot cheaper than new ones especially since mine are new. Thanks. :hmm:

CAMAROBOY69
09-07-2004, 08:54 AM
I de-arched mine and i dont have any complaints so far. Someone mentioned before that the 69 Camaro called The Red Witch was de-arched several times to obtain its stance.
If you de-arch too much then you can have them Re-Arched.
Keep in mind your springs will settle at least an inch after about 50-100 miles of drive time. Then after that you could just put in a small block to help dial in the height.
Good luck and ask if you have more questions.

Todds69
09-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I de-arched mine and i dont have any complaints so far. Someone mentioned before that the 69 Camaro called The Red Witch was de-arched several times to obtain its stance.
If you de-arch too much then you can have them Re-Arched.
Keep in mind your springs will settle at least an inch after about 50-100 miles of drive time. Then after that you could just put in a small block to help dial in the height.
Good luck and ask if you have more questions.
So what your saying is if I measure and want say 2.5" of drop tell them 1.5" cause they will settle an additional inch....Thanks

CAMAROBOY69
09-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Your on the right track. That will put it very close to what you want.
Also are you going to install brand new bushings in the rear including new bushings in the shackles? If you do then it should set your car perfectly where you want it. The new bushings will actually bring your car up about .25" -.50"

Todds69
09-08-2004, 04:14 PM
I have polyurethane bushings already in there, but I am going to go ahead and put new ones in anyway.Thanks again.