PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro no spark

69ss427
03-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Car was fine, starting fine etc etc. Some minor starter kick backs here and there. Then one day it stopped firing. Starter turns over and that's it. So I thought the MSD box went bad. And it begins...

So now was a good time to swap it out to the 6al-2 programmable and an MSD 85551 distributor and rewire it all. Nothing...

So I thought maybe the box was bad out of the box, so I tried another one, same thing. The thing I did notice was when I pull the pick up harness off the distributor the LED on the box would light up (it should be lit , when switch 12v is applied). Plug in the pickup harness it would go out.

Long story short after trying three coils, two 6530 boxes, wiring it straight to the battery , changing the switched 12v wire over and over again, checking TDC setup and everything else under the sun, it still wont spark.

Changed the plugs, switched back to a basic ready to run distributor (brand new one too) and I still cant get it to fire.

OK so what stupid thing am I missing here? I even went so far as to put a new battery in it (desperate!!).

Previously running I had a digital e-curve distributor with a 6421 box and that was running great for about a year or so.

What in the world would stop this from firing!! New everything all new wires, direct to fusebox and battery, theres no excuse. I don't get it.

Engine is a 540 bbc, t-56 trans, starter is new, alternator is new. Everything is new within a year or two.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/10/progress-1.gif

NOT A TA
03-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Are you positive the plugs aren't firing? How did you determine no spark? Have a volt meter? Did you check for 12 V to coil? Did you run a jumper from battery + to coil ? Did you follow MSD directions to jump box to ground to test it? Are you positive you're getting fuel?

69ss427
03-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Did all that, trust me I did it all. In the end I pulled everything and put a basic ready to run 8360 in with a blaster 2 coil and checked switch 12v at the coil and it had power. So im stumped. Reset the distributor thinking it was 180 out still no even a sputter.

Booger
03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Check to see if the engine is grounded properly. Should be grounded to the battery negative and/or chassis.

sam 74
04-09-2013, 08:45 PM
did you check the rotor to make sure it spins as you carnk the engine over? kick backs have a way of breaking things.