PDA

View Full Version : Why is Good Guys only 1972 and earlier?

badazz81z28
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
I have a 1978 Camaro, Built 36 years ago and yet I'm in the "modern vehicle" category? Whats the deal with the 72 and earlier rule?

dontlifttoshift
03-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Because it's their club and they can do what they want. They have expanded the program Sunday to let the late models in. The cutoff used to be '54 at some shows. You guys are getting caught up but it takes time. When GG started your car was essentially new.

Tomswheels
03-24-2013, 07:54 AM
It really would make since to make the cutoff 1978, the good GM stuff (Camaros, Firebirds, Vettes) all had the same suspension from 72-78, the Mopar stuff hadn't changed either, and your still pre-fox Mustang in 78. About the only thing that would be allowed that isn't now is the always intimidating Mustang II....

badazz81z28
03-24-2013, 08:02 AM
I just think it's funny I see these commercials, pop up ads, and advertisements to sign up and get involved...than they tell you pre-1972 only :(

I just don't think my car is modern by today's standards and ridiculous to say "hey there is a special class you...Modern Sunday! " Muscles cars are in my class...I get it 40 years ago when the club was established my car may have been new...but so was the 72. Do you consider a 2007 model car a classic today? Because it's 6 yrs old?

I guess the guys that could really be peeved are 1973 Camaro owners....basically the same car as the 72 lol...It could be worse I guess lol.

Good Guys is just going to miss out on extra cash...and I will miss out on the fun.

dontlifttoshift
03-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Do you consider a 2007 model car a classic today? Because it's 6 yrs old?

No, I don't believe a 2007 to be a classic........I don't believe a '78 to be a classic. But that's personal preference and only my opinion, right, wrong, or otherwise and really has nothing to do with it.

Goodguys has to cut it off somewhere, and arguments can be made for great cars that were built after 72 but in general I think most would agree that the muscle car died officially at the end of 72.

When I started autocrossing my 32 we wanted to do more than goodguys and looked at local clubs to do so. Because my car didn't fit a class, I actually got a membership refund from one club, they politely said no and I moved on. There are plenty of venues for your car, voice your opinion to goodyguys, show up on sunday, and enjoy yourself.

badazz81z28
03-24-2013, 11:33 AM
No, I don't believe a 2007 to be a classic........I don't believe a '78 to be a classic. But that's personal preference and only my opinion, right, wrong, or otherwise and really has nothing to do with it.

Goodguys has to cut it off somewhere, and arguments can be made for great cars that were built after 72 but in general I think most would agree that the muscle car died officially at the end of 72.

When I started autocrossing my 32 we wanted to do more than goodguys and looked at local clubs to do so. Because my car didn't fit a class, I actually got a membership refund from one club, they politely said no and I moved on. There are plenty of venues for your car, voice your opinion to goodyguys, show up on sunday, and enjoy yourself.

IMHO...I don't think there needs to be a year cut-off when it comes to the auto-cross. What are they really trying say when they do so? I Agree...No argument; the muscle car era was dead in about 1973 and a "show and shine" for them makes sense for "original" correct cars. I think what I can't comprehend is when it comes to the auto cross events, most of the vehicles have modern drive-lines and every aftermarket whoha you can think of anyways. That's a racing event...

Have they been adding years throughout? Or has it been 1972 for a while?? Looks like from their web page, in 1983, they accepted all years.

DesertFox
03-24-2013, 11:43 AM
It's been 72 as a long as I can remember.
Go to All American Sunday, it's still a blast!

dontlifttoshift
03-24-2013, 02:47 PM
The problem with opening up just the autocross is there is no way to regulate what goes where then. Remember it is a car show with an autocross not the other way around. The vast majority of cars and people are at a Goodguys show for the show.

The cutoff was '65 for many events for many years. If you wanted to take your camaro to Indy for the HotRod nationals you had to register as a drag car and park in the pits........that was 12 years ago, at least.

As mentioned, the all american events are open to all years and all events are open on Sunday for all years.

If you really want to autocross there are likely several to pick from on any given weekend somewhere in SoCal. The Goodguys autocross is a lot of fun but it really doesn't compare to an SCCA type autocross. GG doesn't have the space to put something like that together but they do a good job of assembling a course that is fun and safe.

Dave B
03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
I'd love to join GG, but the price for a Canadian membership is insane, I realize mailing is expensive, but all the other magazine I subscribe tower reasonable...and my oldest car is a 73...

GrabberGT
03-24-2013, 05:39 PM
I'd love to join GG, but the price for a Canadian membership is insane, I realize mailing is expensive, but all the other magazine I subscribe tower reasonable...and my oldest car is a 73...

Somewhere in the rules, I read that 72 appearing would be accepted. Time to do that small bumper conversion.

Dave B
03-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Somewhere in the rules, I read that 72 appearing would be accepted. Time to do that small bumper conversion.

It's done :)

WikdssLt4
03-24-2013, 09:26 PM
If you ask me, I thing it should be based on the state that the show is at. Here in Dallas, Texas my 1987 Monte Carlo SS is considered a classic. I understand where they are coming from. My car is an 80's muscle car. Most are not built like mine. Mine is built without hydraulics or a big loud stereo. Yet I am not aloud to show it, even if its for fun. I could care less about the trophies. I just want people to know that these cars are being built as a muscle car as GM intended. Oh well, I guess I'll just stay with the walking around and looking at the swap meet for any parts that I can use.

KnightMare
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
In my state, 35 years old and your a classic. So this year it would 1978 and earlier. As we get older, so does cars and the limit should be uped at least every couple of years. I mean come on, Buick Grand Nationals in the late 70's is a cult classic so why can't it be in a good guys show in the next few years? When Goodguys started in the 80's, a 70 Chevelle was less then 20 years old.

Flash68
03-25-2013, 10:56 PM
I guess the guys that could really be peeved are 1973 Camaro owners....basically the same car as the 72

73's are allowed because as mentioned they are "1972 appearing".... There have been 1 or 2 running the local (Pleasanton) GG autoX for awhile now.

Carl @ Chassisworks
03-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Good Guys is just going to miss out on extra cash...and I will miss out on the fun.

In my personal opinion, they would likely miss out on more cash if they allowed the later cars in. The overwhelming majority of GG members aren't into anything with plastic bumpers. I'm sure that GG has extensive data that shows what works and what does not for certain regions. Pleasanton can support four shows a year with varying vintage restrictions. Other regions won't be getting a show at all this year.

dontlifttoshift
03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
NSRA uses a 30 year rolling cutoff. So this year it is '83.

Carl @ Chassisworks
03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Interesting. Fixed my post.

71RS/SS396
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
NSRA uses a 30 year rolling cutoff. So this year it is '83.

That's probably because NSRA's membership keeps going down and they think that the GG shows are the cause, when in reality it's the people that run NSRA are a bunch grumpy old farts. The last time I went to the Nats the pros pick area was a joke. Most of the cars at the show were pastel colors with tweed interiors.

SRD art
03-26-2013, 12:12 PM
I own a 73 Nova, a 74 Nova and a 79 G-body. I agree, I would love to run my cars on Saturday. I try to keep Sundays reserved for church and family and don't do the races on Sunday any more. That puts me out all together but I understand it is my choice. I think doing a revolving year, i.e. 25 or 30 years old and older would be a good idea, that way each year there's one more newer year to add to the venue and we'd at least know when we can start participating with our cars.

For now, I'd imagine that the purists still think that a 68-72 Nova is way better looking than my fat bumper Novas, although they're essentially the same car, and therefore 72 cutoff makes sense to them. In time I think they'll let us in, as the more earlier cars get slimmer in attendance eyes will be more open to our "new" cars. I hope it's sooner rather than later.

dontlifttoshift
03-26-2013, 01:45 PM
That's probably because NSRA's membership keeps going down and they think that the GG shows are the cause,

Which one would you rather go to? A couple years back NSRA Kalamazoo and GG INDY were the same weekend......Sit at the fairgrounds surrounded by easter eggs or go to the Brickyard......hmmm.

Between the growth at Goodguys, the changes in tastes for cars (styling and year,make,model), and let's face it, the passing of NSRA members, yeah, attendence is down.

vintageracer
03-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Goodguys is REALLY missing the participation boat at their events. Imagine that a 1973 Chevelle is a LATE MODEL CAR! How STUPID is that???

A group of friends had just this conversation concerning the Nashville Nationals. In group of 10 guys there are 6 that will not register to attend the Goodguys event in Nashville with a car. They will SPONGE off their buddies for tickets and GET IN FREE!

While not much money ($300) that's $300 that Goodguys missed out on getting from these 6 lost car entrants to pay for the event. We are in the south here in Nashville and Sunday is church day like it or not. What's the use in going out to the GG event with a "late model 1973 Chevelle" for example at 1:00 after church only 2 hours from the end of the show? I want to participate with that "Late Model 1973 Chevelle" on Friday and Saturday NOT JUST ON SUNDAY!

DUMB DUMB DUMB on the part of Goodguys!

Imagine that 6 out 10 in this small group will attend the event WITHOUT A CAR because of GG stupidity. How many other "small groups" are of that same opinion and non-participation as far as a car goes?

Not everybody who wants to participate at the GG events are Fat, 50 & up and only like 1972 and older cars!

Way to go Goodguys!!!!

dontlifttoshift
03-27-2013, 09:22 AM
I could very easily assemble 10 groups of 10 guys and still not find one who doesn't have a car to get into Goodguys with.

Calling a club dumb is probably not the bet way to get them to see your point of view.

I was at Nashville last year, Sorry I missed you. I have attended a handful of events that included the SuperSunday. It has been my experience that most SS attendees are driving late, late cars as opposed to the 73-88 crowd that seem to whine the most about the cutoff rule.

I know how you feel, though, I have been petitioning the AARP to give me a card for 18 months now and the dummies won't let me in. They keep telling me I'm not old enough.

High Plains Mopars
03-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Because it's their club and they can do what they want. They have expanded the program Sunday to let the late models in. The cutoff used to be '54 at some shows. You guys are getting caught up but it takes time. When GG started your car was essentially new.

Ultimately, this is the correct answer. Whether its dumb or not is their call, not ours. Don't like it, don't go. Hit up your local road course instead and go hang with the sports car guys.

howehot
03-28-2013, 07:17 PM
If they would open it up to let later models cars in, how many runs a day do you expect to get for your time and money?

I can take my 84 Monte Carlo to my local SCCA event, get 6 runs in and head home within 5 hours normally. Each event I attended last year I got some coaching from a former national champ. My bet is that if you take your pro-touring ride to a local autocross you will be the crowd favorite. Little more exciting that a Miata or Subaru to watch.