PDA

View Full Version : Hall Effect?

whitess
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Years ago I had a car that had a single speaker in the dash but had room for two 6x9's in the back deck. I remember that if I ran a wire from the + side of each of the rear speakers to the + and - on the front speaker I could get pretty good sound and could use a speaker like the ones in the rear. It was called a "Hall Effect" but I haven't been able to find any information on it on the Internet. Anyone old enough to remember this?
Thanks, Larry.

vette427-sbc
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Try looking up series or parallel subwoofer wiring. Kind of sounds like what you are thinking about. Depending on how you wire it and the ohm rating on your speakers you will have to be careful that you do not overload the amplifier in your radio.

MonzaRacer
05-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Its actually called bridging, but the stereo HAS to be designed to do it or you can get into a groundplane feed back overload (yeah say it three times fast). You see a lot of tri mode amps built to do it, picking a single channel up for sub use. Jenson had small amps that were like 50-75 w per channel but you could also power a single small sub that way.
Try it on some new stereos without being designed to and it can do some serious damaged.
Hall Effect is used in sensors, magnets with coils around them and power going through them kind of like certain cam/crank sensors. Supposed to give better signal definition. Chrysler used to use them in the old 2.2/2.5 dist. PIA to diag at first.
There are lots of stupid tricks used in wiring stereos try not to but too much of the hype.