PDA

View Full Version : 72 challenger

918muscle
03-06-2013, 04:35 AM
im not real experienced with the value of some of the old challengers. I was trying to get pictures to post on here for good reference. The description would be it is a basic model 72 challenger. The body is in good shape, with almost no rust, only pin hole size areas in the truck. All the panels are straight and there. It is however lacking a motor and transmission. Which i was planning on plugging my own in there regardless. The stock suspension and the 8.75 rear end and manual pedals, along with the power steering box included. The interior panels, and front and back seats are all there, as well as all the interior pieces and molding. I was wondering what everyone would think a good price for a challenger of that condition would be. He is currently asking close to 6,000$, which personally i belive that is a little on the expensive side. Just curious as to what a 3rd party point of view would be pricewise. Thank you all for your help in advance! i will try to get pictures uploaded so it would be easier to accurately suggest a price

shane

SShep71
03-06-2013, 08:18 AM
6,000.00 W/O motor trans? That is very over priced. If it were a limited production vehicle with attractive options then it would be different, but a stock challenger W/O motor trans is not worth that much. He may be padding the price for negotiation. You can find others for cheaper than that. If the restoration was started and there is work done already it is a different story.

Todd in Vancouver
03-06-2013, 09:04 AM
It would depend on the area and availability of other cars like it. In my neck of the woods you can expect to pay about $10K for a clean roller. That would be a good price here. How many other clean Challengers have you found in your area?

918muscle
03-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm from broken arrow Oklahoma and there are few to none, have found 3 so far, and those are all in the 100,000$ plus range for original condition. The sheet metal has been worked and fixed, the engine bay and floor pan are almost perfect. Along with new quarters and tail light panel. I'll try and upload some pictures of it. But I was thinking around 3-4k for something like that. Challengers aren't to common around here. I'm preferably looking for a roller that has been worked and shot with primer ready to paint, with some of the little tid bits. I'm able to fabricate and weld. But I'm a college student so money is an issue for sure.

918muscle
03-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Here's the pictures of the 72 challenger

Bigblue73
03-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Not to burst your bubble here. You are looking at about 3 times the initial $6000.00 investment in additional parts that will need replacing and / or are required to make it run. Wiring is expensive, some trim parts are made of unobtainium and fetch big money. The car looks solid and IS a great candidate for a nice build. Plus' are the manual pedals and the factory 4 speed hump. Go for it and make it your own.

SShep71
03-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Sorry Shane but I have to agree with Tony on this one. You picked a hell of a car to start with. Chrylser parts are hard enough to come by and are expensive but at the fact that it is a challenger and your really taking a jump in price. I am not trying to puch you away from it, just speaking from experience. It doesnt look bad at all for a base to start with, but that car is a long ways off from being even close to done. I guess it is going to depend on what you want to do with it. If you could get it for a smokin deal I woiuld get it and store it for a future project.

918muscle
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
When I initially saw it I thought it would be to big of a project to start. Challengers aren't real common in my area but I would probably pay 3-3500 at most for the car. Just a lot needs to be done. I'm preferably looking for a roller with all the metal work done and ready to piece together. I'm planning on making my own, so numbers matching isn't something I'm looking for. I am wanting a manual for sure, but budget is big. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. I'll try to negotiate with the seller, but don't want to get in over my head. I do appreciate the help, I really do. If anyone knows of a challenger, charger, and possibly cuda that's a roller in better condition definitely let me know please. It's a father/son project. But once again thank you all for your input, it's very much appreciated!

Bigblue73
03-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Look at the 71-74 Chargers and 71-73 Plymouth Road Runners. The Plymouth B-Bodies in '71 are essentially E-Body with a reskin. They are very close in size and shape. I've built a few Mopars and it make me sick when I think of how much I've spent on parts. You can be resourceful though and it just takes time. I recently found a /6 '70 Barracuda in Springfield. MO that I had cash in hand to buy for $5000, I took a phone call before i left that a local body shop was offering $12000 cash for it - I had to pass, but it shows you the prices.

SShep71
03-07-2013, 12:00 PM
4 years ago I had the chance to buy a car that I helped to paint when I was in high school in 03. The guy painted the car and never put it together. He got a divorce and wanted it gone, I was on my way to his place with the 5000.00 we agreed on when another guy just showed up with a lot more and bought it out from under me. The owner gave me my deposit back and said tough luck. It sucks, and its def the less honorable thing to do but our paths will cross again. Lesson learned! You can look on ebay, or craigslist. I will keep an eye out as well. The best thing to do may be buy it and have it shipped to you. You may pay extra for shipping but that would offset the demand price that sellers have the corner on in your area.

mpdlawdog
03-05-2014, 11:24 AM
I paid $7500 for my 72 rally 340 4 speed last year....complete solid car...but wasnt running....needs paint and a motor rebuild...did I pay too much? I dont know but wanted that pistol grip BAD!!! Ill have around 20K in it when Im done...will never lose money on it for sure....I say go for it if its solid.....the body work is what cost the $$....I have my work cut out for me but thats the fun...mine is a father father son project also

vintageracer
03-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Buy the "Cosmetically" BEST CAR you can afford and cut that car up to make your Pro-Touring dream. IF you cannot afford a car now with cosmetics that will meet your expectations STOP, WAIT AND SAVE your money until you can afford a car with cosmetics/appearance that you can live with.

The mechanics of a car are always cheaper and more importantly QUICKER time wise than redoing cosmetics on an old car.

Where do most car projects go to die???

BODY SHOP PRISON!

High Plains Mopars
06-30-2014, 09:12 AM
$6k is more than I'd pay, and is a bit overpriced, but not by much. It is maybe a $4-5k car. Unfortunately, solid metal mopars are expensive.

Doe sit have to be a mopar? If your looking for budget entry cars, you might consider Ford Falcons. These can be found in excellent condition for $5k and have a lot of interchange with Mustang parts, so they are a bit easier to source items for.