PDA

View Full Version : Removing 73 Camaro heater/evaporator box

dipren443
08-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Can this be done without dissassembling the front end?

I am going to dig into it anyhow, but if you guys could provide some insight, that would be great. :drive:

MrQuick
08-12-2005, 04:37 PM
You will have to remove the inner wheel well on the passesnger side.

dipren443
08-15-2005, 05:05 AM
You will have to remove the inner wheel well on the passesnger side.

Excellent. And one more question. The coolant lines for the heater that run inside the cabin. What is the cleanest thing to do with those?

Thanks

MrQuick
08-15-2005, 11:26 AM
I like the bulk head look, Most on-line hot rod shops sell them in a 2 port set up if you are not running AC. Are you running a heat only deal?

dipren443
08-15-2005, 01:30 PM
I like the bulk head look, Most on-line hot rod shops sell them in a 2 port set up if you are not running AC. Are you running a heat only deal?

I will be running heat only for the time being. Eventually a Vintage Air or equivalent system will be put in its place. I am just trying to clean up the bay right now. The factory A/C went south on me a couple years back and right now the stuff is just ballast in the wrong place. So I am assuming what I will need to do to properly set this up is remove the assembly from the firewall, close up the hole and then mount the bulk head?

MrQuick
08-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Yes, close it up and mount the bulk head....but there is a guy on ebay that sells a fiberglass AC delete box that allows to use the stock heater core and fan. Yody is running one on his bird.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

dipren443
08-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Alrighty, ordered the non a/c heater box off of ebay. It will be temporary however. I am removing the front clip when I install the Wayne Due subframe and I will weld the firewall up and install the bulkhead.

Another question of ignorance. Am I to assume the Vintage air setup mounts completely underneath the dash?? Fan and everything? I am just asking so when I do decide to weld the firewall, that I can completely cover the hole left behind from the factory box.

Thanks a ton for your responses, they are much appreciated.

MrQuick
08-17-2005, 08:09 PM
yes, you can completely close it up. the fan is part of the unit. its all self contained. no problem.

Chucks73
08-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Alrighty, ordered the non a/c heater box off of ebay. It will be temporary however. I am removing the front clip when I install the Wayne Due subframe and I will weld the firewall up and install the bulkhead.

Another question of ignorance. Am I to assume the Vintage air setup mounts completely underneath the dash?? Fan and everything? I am just asking so when I do decide to weld the firewall, that I can completely cover the hole left behind from the factory box.

Thanks a ton for your responses, they are much appreciated.

If you ordered a stock non a/c heater box from a 73 camaro it will not fit on a 73 A/C Camaro firewall. The firewalls are different. If you ordered a Non A/C box from American Graffiti your safe they make a box that will fit. If you need to get a hold of them here is the info.
Call 303-275-9099 Mon-Fri 8:30 to 5:30 and Sat. 9:00 to 2:00 MT Standard time, or you can continue to e-mail us at [email protected]

American Graffiti
5351 W 6th Ave.
Lakewood, CO 80214

Camaro_Dan
08-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Does anyone here have some pictures of what a AC heatercore looks like installed compared to a NON AC heatercore, with or without heaterbox. I think I have the AC core and Box, but I don't know

here is a picture:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

derekf
08-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Dan, your other post sounded like you were pretty sure that the car was factory AC. Just looking for confirmation? I don't have a Camaro so I can't tell you for sure - but if you've got an evaporator on the firewall now and AC controls then it's a pretty safe bet that the car came that way.

You were asking there how to run heat only in the other thread; the American Graffiti heater box above would be the answer.

MrQuick
08-23-2005, 10:10 AM
but there is a guy on ebay that sells a fiberglass AC delete box that allows to use the stock heater core and fan. Yody is running one on his bird Thats the place I was talking about...thanks for the info Chuck. I think Dipren's set up.
From the pictures Dan, looks like Dr Frankensteins handy work....do you have a picture from abit father away?

dipren443
08-24-2005, 06:18 AM
You know, I had an eerie suspicion the firewalls were different, but the factory piece was cheap, so I just grabbed it without really thinking. Does American Graffiti have a website? Or do I just need to call them?

In all honesty, I may just grab the A/C bulkhead and try and weld up the hole instead of installing a temporary piece. I think the whole front end is coming off the car this winter, so I think I will wait until then.

Chucks73
10-11-2005, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=dipren443]You know, I had an eerie suspicion the firewalls were different, but the factory piece was cheap, so I just grabbed it without really thinking. Does American Graffiti have a website? Or do I just need to call them? /QUOTE]

Just found there site. http://www.americangraffiti.biz/

LS1Bandit
11-18-2005, 02:21 PM
You can use the non A/C vesion you will just need to cut a hole for the heater core line to pass through i did this on my 79 Z that had A/C that i ditched. I mean if it is a patch i would just do that.

David Pozzi
11-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Here is a good post on Air install for a 72/3 Camaro: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum_main.htm

derekf
11-20-2005, 04:11 PM
David, I'm thinking that's not the link you meant to paste.

I tried but could not find anything that sounded like what you were trying to paste?