PDA

View Full Version : Goodguys 2013 AutoCross rules

Goodguy Ed
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Goodguys AutoCrossRules 2013The classes for 2013 will be asfollows: PRO-Class, Street Machine, Hot Rod, Truck and All American Sunday LateModels.
All classes will have thefollowing general rules:
1. No alcoholic beverages allowed for driver orcrew member in the pit or track area.
2. DOT tires and tread wear will be limited to 200minimum. Any tread wear rating below 200 will be exhibition only and times willnot be recorded or promoted. No tirescan be down to the wear indicators.
3. Must have all lug nuts on each wheel and mustremove hub caps during runs if equipped.
4. Wheel bearings must have no play.
5. Batteries must be mounted securely by mechanicalfastener to the body or chassis.
6. Overflow catch can on the radiator is mandatory.
7. All hoses must be in good condition with nocracks, swelling, deterioration or leaks.
8. Brake pedal must have good resistance and not goto the floor.
9. All wheels must have working brakes of at least50% of original thickness and fluid must be full with no leaks.
10. Steering column must be tight and secured nobinding or looseness.
11. Seats must be mounted secure to body or chassis.
12. Seat belts must be a minimum of a lap belt andsecured to the body, bar, seat anchor bolt or frame. Any passenger riding mustalso have a seatbelt of the same caliber of drivers.
13. Gas cap or tank vent must not leak on the trackand tank must be securely mounted.
14. Fuel tank must be mounted in stock location orSFI fuel cell mounted securely. (Trucks see rules)
15. Exhaust must exit outside of the body or behinddriver and securely installed. Mufflers are required with no open exhaust oropen headers allowed.
16. All entries will have all body panels of suchvehicle. (Fenders, doors, hood, deck lid and bed sides on trucks) body must bewithin 10% of original production. (Hot rod & Truck class have exception inrules)
17. Must have front and rear glass or lexan and sidewindows must be rolled down during run times.
18. Throttle must have a return spring with nobinding.
19. No leaks under vehicle.
20. All entries must be registered participants withGoodguys at the event and must be street licensed, insured, street legal and norace cars or purpose built vehicles. (No comp entries)
21. The registered name on the vehicle windowsticker will be the only driver that times can be counted or displayed. If youhave two drivers you must have two window stickers with the different drivernames. If someone else drives the car that is not listed times will not count.
22. All entries must run a Goodguys AutoCross decalto run on the track, you will get this after the vehicle has passed tech.
23. All Pro-Class participants must run a windshielddecal all season. (provided by Goodguys at tech)
24. You must be present at the end of your classcompetition if you are the winner of the class for pictures and the awards. If youare not, the runner up will become the new winner. All winners must go through theawards on Sunday to be considered the winner and receive the awards.
25. All passengers must be 18 years or older unlessriding with parents and then they must be 16 or older. All competitors andpassengers must sign an event waiver.
26. Driver must have a state issued license.
27. All loose items must be removed from thevehicle. Including floor mats.
28. Helmets are not required; the course will bedesigned to keep speeds below 35MPH.
29. After any situation the vehicle may have to bere-inspected at the discretion of track official.
30. All decisions made by race official will beenforced and are final.
31. No unsafe driving will be tolerated.
32. No burnouts to or at starting line or outsidethe safety area.
33. Smoking is not permitted in the pits, grid areaor inside the racing area at any time.
34. Each participant is responsible for any and alldamages brought on by themselves or their vehicles at the event. They areresponsible for any damages, legal fees and clean-up fees by facility or eventcoordinators.
35. Cone penalty is 1 second added to your time.
36. Not stopping at the exit stop sign is a 2 secondpenalty added to your time.

Tech will open about one hour before racing starts. Pleasestay with your car until it has made it through tech and you have your decal.Pit space is limited and will be first come first served. If stalls become openduring the day we will fill with cars from the waiting area. You will haveuntil 9am on two days of competition to go back to your same pit stall if youdo not your space will be given away.

PRO-Class:
· Sponsors of the AutoCross are automatically putinto the PRO-Class. The Street Machine, Hot Rod and Truck class winners aftereach event will be in the PRO-Class for the remainder of that season.
· Sponsor cars must be house cars only, or ownedby a full time employee of the sponsor.
· Drivers of the PRO-Class must be full timeemployees of the sponsoring company.
· The driver that was in the vehicle that won itsclass to move up will be the only driver that can run the car in the PRO-Class.
· PRO-Class will run at the top of every hour atthe discretion of the track officials.
· PRO-Class will be running for an award and thechance to be in a feature in the Goodguys Gazette at seasons end along withqualifying for the AutoCross Finals Shootout.
· There will be an official PRO-Class decal foryour windshield once you qualify for the PRO-class that must be worn for theseason.
· PRO-Class vehicles must be 1972 or older inappearance, representing a production car.
· The PRO-Class will be running with a pointsystem for the season winner. Each event that you run you will get 1 point forrunning the event and first to tenth will get points ten for first and one fortenth. The classes will be divided and points will go to each class. (StreetMachine, Hot Rod, and Truck) The season winners will get a feature in the GoodguysGazette.
Street Machine Class:
· All vehicles must be 1955 to 1972 in appearance,representing a production car.
· Goodguys Get-Togethers at Pleasanton will be1955 and newer.
Hot Rod Class:
· All vehicles must be 1954 or older cars inappearance, no trucks, deliveries or panels allowed in this class.
· High-Boys and Roadsters are not required to runfenders or hood sides.
Truck Class:
· Must be 1972 or older at the National events andall year trucks at the Pleasanton Get-Togethers.
· Any vehicle with a Bed, Panel trucks,Deliveries, El Caminos and Rancheros will be in this class.
· 1940 and older trucks are not required to runfenders or hood sides.
· Fuel tanks do NOT have to be in stock locationbut must be securely mounted.
All American SundayLate Models:
· All 1973 and newer cars and trucks will be inthis class and can only run on Sundays at the Nationals events.
· Tread wear should be production equipped rate or200 minimum.

AutoX_a_Truck?
03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
14. Fuel tank must be mounted in stock location orSFI fuel cell mounted securely. (Trucks see rules)

Truck Class:
· Must be 1972 or older at the National events andall year trucks at the Pleasanton Get-Togethers.
· Any vehicle with a Bed, Panel trucks,Deliveries, El Caminos and Rancheros will be in this class.
· 1940 and older trucks are not required to runfenders or hood sides.
· Fuel tanks do NOT have to be in stock locationbut must be securely mounted.

Can a new poly fuel cell that does not have an actual SFI tag be used in a truck if it is mounted securely and generally in the stock location between the frame rails at the rear of a truck? I only ask, because I have found it almost impossible to find a fuel cell that comes with an actual SFI tag that isn't a 3 gallon tank for a pro-mod drag car. I have a new Jaz poly fuel cell similar to this http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ+Products/547/251-012-01/10002/-1 and the description indicates that it exceeds SFI requirements, but it does not have an actual SFI tag.

Bryce
03-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Can a new poly fuel cell that does not have an actual SFI tag be used in a truck if it is mounted securely and generally in the stock location between the frame rails at the rear of a truck? I only ask, because I have found it almost impossible to find a fuel cell that comes with an actual SFI tag that isn't a 3 gallon tank for a pro-mod drag car. I have a new Jaz poly fuel cell similar to this http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ+Products/547/251-012-01/10002/-1 and the description indicates that it exceeds SFI requirements, but it does not have an actual SFI tag.

Technically ATL and fuel safe cells don't have SFI tags... are they legal?

Goodguy Ed
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Technically ATL and fuel safe cells don't have SFI tags... are they legal?

Bryce, They are good to go as long as they are mounted good.
Thanks Ed

AutoX_a_Truck?
03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Bryce, They are good to go as long as they are mounted good.
Thanks Ed

Any ruling on whether this fuel cell is acceptable?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/252-012-01/10002/-1?parentProductId=758784

Thanks, Tyler

SSninja
03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
The year cutoff for "Late model" always cracks me up considering that a vehicle from 1973 is now 40 years old.

My car is old enough to drink legally and it's 15 years past the cutoff. :)

Has there been any discussions about expanding that Street Machine class?

mpozzi
03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Most of the Good Guys have a "Super Sunday Autocross" for all American powered/American made cars and trucks no matter what year. There are also the four (or five) All-American where any year AP/AM car or truck can run the autocross. Not sure where you live but the All-American events are in Pleasanton, CA and your car would be welcome to run all weekend long and not limited to just Sunday.

As far as the 1972 model year cutoff rule, this has been in place since the dawning of dirt and well before the Autocross was even a glimmer on the Good Guys horizon. This particular event within the "big show" has gained in popularity by leaps and bounds and with it, a lot of folks with cars/trucks built after that magic "cast in stone" 1972 year would love to see this changed so they could run. It's little steps at a time and for now, the Super Sunday's will have to do.

A kudo for the Good Guys staff when they changed that 1972 rule to include cars/trucks that by all appearance, "looked" like a '72 but in fact were newer by one year. This gave those 1970-73 Camaros and Firebirds, the Mustangs, and Cuda/Challengers, plus a few others a hall pass to come out and play which was really cool as I, for one, don't have to lie like a rug and pretend my '73 Camaro is a '72 anymore. My nose has stopped growing and I can sleep at night ...

Mary Pozzi

Jok3r
05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
hell ya im drivin a 73 too! i'll see yall at one of the next socal GG meets.
and hey mary does this car look familiar? i started this before i saw yours, but looks like we had the same vision. carbon fiber hood and trunk and all.

Jok3r
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Any ruling on whether this fuel cell is acceptable?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/252-012-01/10002/-1?parentProductId=758784

Thanks, Tylerif its in a truck bed or mounted externally, im pretty sure nhra rules say it must be enclosed in metal (like steel or aluminium). im betting GG rules are similar. you can easily get an aluminium one from summit in the 200$ range.

Tricky
07-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Ran my truck in the GoodGuys auto X and came with in 6 seconds slower than the "Summit" crusher camaro. A truck does not mind loosing to a $200.00 race car. Had a great time!!!!

Craig510
08-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Question on the Mazda powered Datsun 520 pickup. First off that is an awesome truck and an amazing build (read the whole thing on Ratsun), but how does it qualify as American made or Powered?

Does this mean you could show up with a Datsun 510 or a Mazda Miata and beat up on the muscle cars?

At the last event in Pleasanton, Bob Pelican brought his WRX/'27-T ford and was way fast, but he had 140 TW Hankooks and missed the "10%" rule so he ran in fun run only.

I am just trying to figure out if I need to start looking for a new car to build or keep refining the one I have. Maybe they need to be American made and Powered, but then someone will just build out a late model SHO with a fiberglass body on it.

Thanks,

Goodguy Ed
08-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Craig, Keep working on that Falcon it is fast. At our National events the cars are 1972 or older so a VW or Datsun is OK with a stock or modified motor and it does not have to be American Powered. At the Get-Togethers like here in Pleasanton it is all years American made or Powered so the VW or Datsun cannot participate unless it has an engine transplant.
Bob Pelican was not able to run in anything but the Fun Run Class as his tires were 140 treadwear, he has now changed that and will be out to see if he can get into the AZ finals.
Ed