PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E and actual gear indication

Hocky
08-10-2005, 11:26 PM
I have a 4L80E in my Chevy 55 and have problems knowing what gear that actually is in. Specially when putting som power to the rear wheels ;)
I have the TCI computer. I will go manual shift soon and then I really want to see what gear I use.

Is there any way to get a actual gear indicator. 4 lamps, one for each gear or a display that a the actual gear is displayed on.

Any ideas or suggestions?

zbugger
08-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Check out Dakota Digital. They have gear indicators. Problem is, you can't see what gear you're in if you're in the standard "D". That you have to check by seat of the pants feeling. Ummm..... That didn't come out right.... I'm walking away now.

Hocky
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
That was the problem. Knowing what gear is in, not what gear I put the lever in.
With manual shift I will use 2 buttons, one for upshift and one for downshift with the lever in 'D'.

Dakota Digital had some other nice stuff anyway.

Steve Chryssos
08-11-2005, 05:40 AM
You probably already know this: The data is there. Your software includes a "dashboard" window that shows (among other things) actual gear vs selected gear. Selected gear may be "4" but actual gear can be 1-4. Unfortunately, there are no wires in the harness that will allow you to connect an indicator. Building the indicator is not that difficult (seven segment LED), but until TCI and others provide the output signal in the harness, the only way to access this information is by the serial cable that plugs into a laptop. I can find out which "pin" sends the signal for actual gear data. BBut your indicator will not work when the laptop is plugged in--which means that the indicator does not work as a production part for us at this time. We want a separate signal in addition to the serial cable.

PCS is working on an indicator, but I strongly doubt that it will work with the TCI unit. In the meantime, I have learned to know what gear I am in based on mph and rpm--same as I must do when on my motorcycle. When in doubt, upshift temporarily to help you figure out what gear you are in.

The indicator will come in time--We'll keep pushing for it. But it probably will not happen until demand for the computers increases--which is happening as we speak. Sometimes, it's hard to believe we are even having this conversation.
/Steevo

Hocky
08-11-2005, 06:47 AM
You probably already know this: The data is there. Your software includes a "dashboard" window that shows (among other things) actual gear vs selected gear. Selected gear may be "4" but actual gear can be 1-4. Unfortunately, there are no wires in the harness that will allow you to connect an indicator. Building the indicator is not that difficult (seven segment LED), but until TCI and others provide the output signal in the harness, the only way to access this information is by the serial cable that plugs into a laptop. I can find out which "pin" sends the signal for actual gear data. BBut your indicator will not work when the laptop is plugged in--which means that the indicator does not work as a production part for us at this time. We want a separate signal in addition to the serial cable.

PCS is working on an indicator, but I strongly doubt that it will work with the TCI unit. In the meantime, I have learned to know what gear I am in based on mph and rpm--same as I must do when on my motorcycle. When in doubt, upshift temporarily to help you figure out what gear you are in.

The indicator will come in time--We'll keep pushing for it. But it probably will not happen until demand for the computers increases--which is happening as we speak. Sometimes, it's hard to believe we are even having this conversation.
/Steevo

Tnx for explaining!

I really didnt want to believe that it was this way :(

I have made some loggings to PC but its really hard to get some good data to analyze when you have a 20" rims with low profile tires.

I almost run the orginal program in the TCI. Have made some minor ajustments but nothing to the pressure curves and so on. Is there anything I should change when I have 635hp in a heavy car. Stall ~3500? Perf/Econ mode (wich I cant see (or feel) any difference when logging)?

Im working on the pictures of my steering wheel. My camera has died :(

Steve Chryssos
08-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Pretty amazing how well the stock maps work, huh? Need to know vehicle weight, rear tire diameter and final gear ratio before I'll make any recommendations.
/Steevo

Hocky
08-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Pretty amazing how well the stock maps work, huh? Need to know vehicle weight, rear tire diameter and final gear ratio before I'll make any recommendations.
/Steevo

You got mail ;)

critter
03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
This is a really old thread but I'm bringing it back up because of a conversation I had with a TCI rep in their forums. Apparently this is "in development" which may all be BS but if you have the TCI red box you might want to shoot them an email and ask that they build this.

It's just stupid. As Steve said so many years back, this is data already available via the CAN bus. Just tap it and give us the data!

Poorhousenext
03-03-2011, 06:29 AM
This is a really old thread but I'm bringing it back up because of a conversation I had with a TCI rep in their forums. Apparently this is "in development" which may all be BS but if you have the TCI red box you might want to shoot them an email and ask that they build this.

It's just stupid. As Steve said so many years back, this is data already available via the CAN bus. Just tap it and give us the data!

Critter,

As best as I can tell TCI's latest TCM already has this ability. They have a display that allows gear selection to be displayed as well as Trans Temp, and a number of engine sensor output as well.

•Utilizes CAN signal for gear selection without interference or hesitation; includes easy-to-read digital gear display powered by horn connections

The display's housing is made to work with TCI's paddle shifter. Could a new housing be made for the display, or maybe an interface that would allow you to display up to 6 functions on a 2 1/16 or 60mm gage like PLX's?

Description:The PLX MULTI-GAUGE with OBDII has taken the automotive display to a whole new level. Now not only can you daisy chain our Sensor Modules but you also have access to all data on your ECU. This allows you to view all parameters of your vehicle and also act as a scan tool to check and clear engine codes when necessary. Unlike other automotive displays on the market where the user has no choice but to view the data presented in one form PLX has designed the MULTI-GAUGE so that you can set and change your viewing preferences at any time. All styles have their unique advantages and you should not be limited to one option.

Because the TCI Paddle shifter manual shift mode has to be activated by a switch to engage electronic shift function with trans in "D", I've assumed you still need a static gear shift display or electronic display to indicate P, R, N, D , L. Could be wrong, and their display can display those as well as trans temp and engine sensor data at all times.

I didn't ask that question of TCI, I just installed a Dakota Digital gear position indicator for them....LOL It's the brushed aluminum piece in middle of the 4 rocker switches on dash panel.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/03/P9170281-1.jpg

critter
03-03-2011, 06:53 AM
I need an indicator for when I'm in manual mode using my paddles. Yes, their paddles do have an indicator. But I don't own their paddles. I have Steve's setup (much nicer looking in my opinion). I can see the gear indication if I'm willing to have a laptop connected via the serial port but who drives around with a laptop in the passenger seat? No they won't sell just the indicator stuff. You have to buy the entire setup since it's "integrated into our paddle assembly" as they explained it to me.

I also contacted Powertrain Control Solutions who made that controller for TCI. They suggested I buy their $2,000.00 data logger and mount it some where so I could see it. Really? $2k to know what gear I'm in?

I looked at the Dakota Digital stuff. It only indicates gear position based on the position of the shift lever. So, when using the manual mode and paddles, it would still only indicate the OD position.

In a perfect world there would be a plug and play indicator that could mount on the dash some where and incorporate a shift light. That data is already being processed by the TCU.

And before anyone suggest it, yes, I've looked at the motorcycle gear indicator lights. They would work but it's not a very elegant solution. I'm just wishing for something more integrated to the TCI control system.

Poorhousenext
03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
I need an indicator for when I'm in manual mode using my paddles. Yes, their paddles do have an indicator. But I don't own their paddles. I have Steve's setup (much nicer looking in my opinion).

In a perfect world there would be a plug and play indicator that could mount on the dash some where and incorporate a shift light. That data is already being processed by the TCU.

Critter,

Know below finally answer is not what you want to hear, but from a business stand point it does to me since I was raised in a business environment.

In your case, is TCI or Twist Machine source of your problem and which should address it an is it of benefit for either company to address it.

I know TCI has addressed the issue, and it works as long as you use paddles and controller from them.

I check Twist Machine's website to see if they have a display.

See you can get their paddles with a display unit/module. Don't know if it displays gear your in are not, but guessing it can or could along with trans temp and same engine data TCI's does, when used with the Compushift controller they sell.

Like you said, info is on the bus. Getting too it could be a problem, if both controllers don't supply the informations using the same PID definition.

GM has a set of defined PIDs for indicating which gear your in for both of their A4 and A6 transmissions. Can't remember if the A4 PIDs are proprietary are not, but it cost me $99.00 dollars to get the A6 6L80E/90E ones. That $99.00 did buy me all of GM proprietary PIDs too.

I have the same only worst problem than you. 6L80E has 6 forward gear to keep up with...LOL I can read and display them using a DashDaq from Drew Technologies if I'm smart enough to program the unit to do it....LOL I've seen it done with 6L90E trans in a 1st gen Camaro. Unit can also be used as a GPS display with added program, along with a lot of other functions you can program it to do.

You might want to take a look at the DashDaq and join their forum to see if it might work for you.

You would need to know if TCI used GM PIDs are if they use their on Proprietary ones. If both TCI and Compushift controllers use the same gear selected PIDs then you might be able to interface the Compushift's display to work with the TCI controller.

Bottom line, it's not to either TCI or Twist Machine/Compushift benefit to develop a display that will allow you to mix and match with the other's controller. Both Companies have spent money to develop their products. They need to maximize their return on that investment.

I agree with you that Twist Machine's paddles are better looking than TCI's. But is either company responsible for supporting another Vendors product because someone chose "Form Over Function" and mixed and matched? I say NO, because to me it doesn't make good business sense for either to do it.

Both companies sell displays controlle by their respective TCM, one mounts on their paddles, while the other's appears to be mountable by different means in various locations.

critter
03-03-2011, 09:25 AM
TCI was selling this controller long before they developed paddles with the integrated display. Steve sold this controller initially (under the PCS banner). Steve switched, IIRC, when they sold out to TCI and the price went up. But that's neither her nor there.

I do agree that there's no business model there for either firm. All I was saying was that TCI is considering releasing a stand alone unit for those who might have pre-existing units and if those who are in the same boat with me would shoot them an email it might make a difference as to whether or not they actually do it.

I appreciate the information. I'll check it out.

Steve Chryssos
03-03-2011, 05:17 PM
It's our long standing opinion that the display needs to be mounted on the dash--not where it might sometimes rotate out of view. The new Compushift CSII has an even better display. As the data originates at the TCU--not at our paddle shifter, there's nothing we can do. The TCU manufacturer needs to provide the data output. I wish there were something we could do for you.

critter
03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Steve, I'm not blaming you. I'm pushing TCI but don't expect much.

I've been playing with the idea of a Dell mini computer and integrating the display somewhere so I can have the TCI software running with the dashboard part of the app where I can see it.

Poorhousenext
03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Steve/Critter,

I'm guessing that all the TCU Suppliers use the GM OBDII PIDs, not their on. Below link has a list of all the GM PIDs. Some are listed under Automatic tran, shift xxxxxx, PRNDL, Shift solenoid, etc. You will see engine PIDs that TCI's softward displays on their paddle display too.

http://www.dashdaq.com/specs/datalists/GM_enh.htm

Here is a link to thread on LS1 Tech where Aussie programed his DashDaq to display gear selected. The pictures he posted are his first attemp at displaying 6L80 selected gear. He's not a dummy like me. pictures are in post #82.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/898899-6l80-6l90-into-68-camaro-does-go-5.html.

If there is a way to open/view TCI's controller software code/programing you could probaly figure out if they used GM PIDs are their on. Either way, you could write your own display program like LS1 OP did and have a lot more engine/transmission data displayed on one screen, not just gear slected.

critter
03-04-2011, 07:03 AM
That's kind of why I was looking at their software with a mini computer display. There's tons of information there, I just want a real time display, visible while I'm driving. Screen shot is here of the dashboard they display:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

critter
06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Powertrain Control Solutions finally did it. But hold on to your hat when you see the price:

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/gauges.php

Steve Chryssos
06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Nice old thread. And yup, it comes down to you guys demanding this stuff. Compushift is 60 days from developing a dash or column mounted display as well It's compact and reasonably priced. But it only works with Compushift II. I'm testing one now, so it's for real. We also have a paddle shifter for 6L's.

csouth
06-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Powertrain Control Solutions finally did it. But hold on to your hat when you see the price:

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/gauges.php

Check Bowler, they are a PCS dealer and give a discount to members here. I ordered my PCS controller from them.

gui67
09-14-2012, 08:52 PM
If you only want to see the gear in manual mode, it is also possible to build an electronic circuit that takes the info from the 3 pins of the manifold pressure switch.
All the contollers use this switch to know in which position the lever is.
using electronic logic gates, you can transform these signal to the right input of a 7-segment led driver.
I have searched the transfer functions between both, I will post them a bit later.

For those using automatic mode, I think it might also be possible to use the controler outputs that go to the solenoids A and B as inputs for the circuit.

But ot will need some soldering, and fabrication for a good-looking display.

AEH
06-08-2022, 05:40 AM
Reviving an old thread to see if there something out there I’m missing. I’m using the 4L80 with the gm C&C TCM and harness. Dakota digital gauges. Getting the gear selection is straight forward but I’ll be using a Lokar bump shifter and I’m looking for a way to display the actual gear the trans is in. The Lokar Sport Shifter I’d like to use has PRND +/- so there’s no manual 1st gear selection through the lever.

andrewb70
06-08-2022, 08:05 AM
Reviving an old thread to see if there something out there I’m missing. I’m using the 4L80 with the gm C&C TCM and harness. Dakota digital gauges. Getting the gear selection is straight forward but I’ll be using a Lokar bump shifter and I’m looking for a way to display the actual gear the trans is in. The Lokar Sport Shifter I’d like to use has PRND +/- so there’s no manual 1st gear selection through the lever.

Does the C&C TCM have the ability to use the tap shifter? The 4L80e also used a gear position switch. It bolts to the side of the trans and when used in an OEM application it would show what gear the shift lever was in on the dash.

Andrew

AEH
06-08-2022, 08:32 AM
It’s been a while since I read the literature but until you asked I was confident it does. I’ll read thru it later but still pretty sure it does.

AEH
06-08-2022, 10:22 AM
From the literature:

SuperMatic Transmission Control System Works With 4L80-E

Optional features for personal preferences
– Gearshift timing
– Multiple shift patterns
– Manual shift mode
– Supports most “Tap Shifters” or wheel-mounted paddles
– On-Board data logging

andrewb70
06-08-2022, 12:52 PM
From the literature:

SuperMatic Transmission Control System Works With 4L80-E

Optional features for personal preferences
– Gearshift timing
– Multiple shift patterns
– Manual shift mode
– Supports most “Tap Shifters” or wheel-mounted paddles
– On-Board data logging

Did they include a wiring diagram? The Lokar is pretty straightforward for wiring.

AEH
06-08-2022, 01:11 PM
Yes. Wiring the shifter is simple. I’m looking for a way to display the actual gear. If I use the Lokar there is no physical position for first, second etc gear. Only drive and the manual bump shift. Dakota digital states that the connect & cruise system does not broadcast the gear selection via obdii. I’m hoping someone has found a solution.

andrewb70
06-08-2022, 01:16 PM
Yes. Wiring the shifter is simple. I’m looking for a way to display the actual gear. If I use the Lokar there is no physical position for first, second etc gear. Only drive and the manual bump shift. Dakota digital states that the connect & cruise system does not broadcast the gear selection via obdii. I’m hoping someone has found a solution.

This is where you would use the gear position sensor that bolts to the side of the trans.

AEH
06-08-2022, 01:56 PM
Thanks Again. That would take care of PRN&D and that’s doable multiple ways, but that’s not my question.

andrewb70
06-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Then I'm confused what you're asking.

AEH
06-08-2022, 02:52 PM
Is there a way to display the actual gear the transmission is in. ie. 1st 2nd etc. Park, reverse, neutral and drive are physical positions, easily determined by the position of the shaft. When in manual mode, there will be no indication whether your in 1st or 3rd. Not that that’s a huge deal, but if there is a way to get the gear selection information from the ECM/TCM, it’d be nice to have. It’s in there.

andrewb70
06-08-2022, 03:03 PM
Is there a way to display the actual gear the transmission is in. ie. 1st 2nd etc. Park, reverse, neutral and drive are physical positions, easily determined by the position of the shaft. When in manual mode, there will be no indication whether your in 1st or 3rd. Not that that’s a huge deal, but if there is a way to get the gear selection information from the ECM/TCM, it’d be nice to have. It’s in there.

Your controller should have a commanded gear channel. This information should be available over the CAN bus.

Andrew

AEH
06-08-2022, 03:37 PM
Dakota digital states that the connect & cruise system does not broadcast the gear selection via obdii.

Figure out how to get it out of there for me then.lol. That’s my question.

andrewb70
06-08-2022, 03:52 PM
Figure out how to get it out of there for me then.lol. That’s my question.

Various companies make OBD2 interfaces that can display data. Look at PCS. They have a paddle shifter with a display. They may sell just the display.

Andrew