PDA

View Full Version : Camaro bodies now on e-bay

96Z28SS
08-10-2005, 11:18 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-CONVERTIBLE-CAMARO-STYLED-BODIES-GMLICENSED_W0QQitemZ4567507897QQcategoryZ10076QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

Travis B
08-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Good find! I had no idea they would be on e-bay but that is pretty cool! anyone know when the hardtops are coming out

69rs
08-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Looking forward to your opinion!
I noticed throughout the write-up that he referred to the bodies as "STYLED AFTER THE 1969 CONVERTIBLE CAMARO", numerous times.:dunno: I guess they can't say these "ARE" 69 Camaro bodies.

jy211
08-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Classic Industries sells them. Page 467 in their camaro catalog.

Now I wanna know when the Cuda bodies start. That's what I want!!! :naughty:

69rs
08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
As was discussed previously on this board, the quality wasn't very good on these. Anyone know if the quality has improved?

wantahertzdonut
08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
I don't know, for $11k and a 6-8 week waiting period, I'll cut and weld myself for much less...

69rs
08-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Not only that, we (y'all) ran their sales guy off! Now we will never know the real story behind these bodies! :crying:

Steve1968LS2
08-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Let the VIN shenanigans begin!!!

Ralph LoGrasso
08-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Let the VIN shenanigans begin!!!

I'll pistol whip the next person that says shenanigans. Sorry, I had to. That move is just too funny.

kennyd
08-10-2005, 12:41 PM
i think these are a good price and would buy on if they had one in a chevelle conv .i have a ebay bought 66 chevelle conv. that a guy from ohio sold as a "good driver almost a rust free car " " with a new conv top and good seats " the car should have been described as free rust , new top installed with a desk stapler and seats covered in black duct tape !
i think this is a good product for the 50 thousand rusted camaros left in back yards and salvage yards .

Bill Howell
08-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Not only that, we (y'all) ran their sales guy off! Now we will never know the real story behind these bodies! :crying:

I will take the credit for that. I did not try to run him off, just tried to get him to answer simple, straight forward questions. I still wish he would answer them. What really blows my mind is the fact that with a target audience here, they(he) refuses to answer the hard questions, like vin issues, fit and finish...

Maxoctane
08-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I love the concept of reproducing muscle car bodies ala 32 ford, shelby cobra and 27 t-bucket, but 11k (plus shipping) seems a bit steep. Guess I'd wait for economies of scale to kick in.

Gonzostyle
08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
I am not sure if anyone else saw the booth at Hot August Nights this year, but Dynacorn is offering the 67 Hard tops for 12-15K.

-Jeremie

69rs
08-10-2005, 01:14 PM
I did not try to run him off, just tried to get him to answer simple, straight forward questions
I know, Bill! I was funnin! :poke: I was a little put out with the way he did, too! I think that he could have sold some around here if he had been more forthcoming with information.

96Z28SS
08-10-2005, 02:03 PM
I am not sure if anyone else saw the booth at Hot August Nights this year, but Dynacorn is offering the 67 Hard tops for 12-15K.

-Jeremie

Are you serious I want pics!!!

96Z28SS
08-10-2005, 02:19 PM
I found this while searching for pics of a hard top version.

http://www.corbettsauto.com/1969_camaro_new_body_parts.htm

I'll quote this from the website.

Since it has been announced, the idea of the “New Camaro Body” has divided the industry. There are those that hate the idea and those that have embraced it. The main idea that seems to be causing the problem is the legality of transferring the necessary trim tag and VIN information to the new firewall and cowl panel. Many people are under the false impression that this is illegal. IT IS NOT. Please referred to the federal code which states in black and white that it can be done if it “is reasonably necessary for the repair” now of course you will need to clear this with your local DMV. Of course this is only relevant if you own a 1967, 1968, or 1969 Chevy Camaro with a title.

ProdigyCustoms
08-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Jim, I have not seen a production piece. I notice they do not mention the mandatory crating charge I so disputed. And I also see now they allow your own shipping arrangements, which would be me, picking my bodies up at the factory, uncrated!
The price is not a issue. I actually think it is a great deal if the quality is good. We could not hand you a repaired rusted shell for any less. The VIN issue that scares some is pretty easy in all states but California and their smog requirements. Quite simply it will have to be a home built title. Pretty easy.
It is their inability to answer straight forward questions, the sneaky way of fishing for information and opinions, and the obvious attempt to keep buyers away from the factory, that turn me sore. Combine those things with the quality we all saw at SEMA and recently on the Power Tour, and it makes one want to step back.

dropit69
08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
the add i seen for them on ebay said you had to buy them thru an authorized chevy dealer ..i read aloyt about them in magazines like the dynacorn ones ..they said that if chevy would not get involved they could not call them camaros..but i hear the dynacorn bodies are suppose to be really good quality..ill still do the hours of body work on mine to keep it real..

69rs
08-10-2005, 03:16 PM
These are the Dynacorn bodies, I guess BC CLASSIC AND PERFORMANCE is a dealer for them.

TonyL
08-10-2005, 03:59 PM
I'll pistol whip the next person that says shenanigans.

Mac: Hey Farva. Whats the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
Farva: You mean Shenanigans?
funniest movie EVAAR!!!1

/threadjack.

Where was this booth at Hot August nights???? I didnt see it!

Mean 69
08-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Having just put new qtrs on "Lateral II," a 70 Camaro, and seeing how much work was necessary to get the "fits like the original panels" panels to fit, well, like original, I'd have to guess that these, as well as all aftermarket panels, will need massaging. And you know what, so be it, it isn't that big of a deal for a capable body man.

It comes down to the title. Once that crap gets sorted, which by the way is a big issue for all hot rodders using repo type bodies, these things should fly out the door. What will it do to the "value" of an original, the same thing it'll do for the old Fords, et. al. The real ones will still be the most sought after and will grab the highest bucks.

So, when all that "does" get sorted, anyone interested in a composite body? Light as all get out, tough enough to throw a bowling ball at? Never have to deal with rust? Really, I mean the repo bodies shouldn't be meant to compete with a classic real car, they are meant to have the flavor of the older cars, with expressions determined only by the builder/owner. Interesting questions, eh?

Mark

Ralph LoGrasso
08-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Having just put new qtrs on "Lateral II," a 70 Camaro, and seeing how much work was necessary to get the "fits like the original panels" panels to fit, well, like original, I'd have to guess that these, as well as all aftermarket panels, will need massaging. And you know what, so be it, it isn't that big of a deal for a capable body man.

It comes down to the title. Once that crap gets sorted, which by the way is a big issue for all hot rodders using repo type bodies, these things should fly out the door. What will it do to the "value" of an original, the same thing it'll do for the old Fords, et. al. The real ones will still be the most sought after and will grab the highest bucks.

So, when all that "does" get sorted, anyone interested in a composite body? Light as all get out, tough enough to throw a bowling ball at? Never have to deal with rust? Really, I mean the repo bodies shouldn't be meant to compete with a classic real car, they are meant to have the flavor of the older cars, with expressions determined only by the builder/owner. Interesting questions, eh?

Mark

The composite bodies are what I'm waiting for. The company (venom?) that builds the '66 Nova comp. body said they were coming out with lots more cars. I remember specific mention of a '70 Cuda coupe, and '67 Vette. I'd love to get my hands on a '70 Cuda body that I wouldn't feel bad about cutting to shreds.

MuscleRodz
08-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I read a thread on another forum I think Camaros.net that they will not be building Mopars. After a bunch of other research I agree that it is not illegal to do the body swap "IF" you go through the proper channels meaning that you have your state or state authorized agent to authorize the swap. I went to my local Camaro club meeting last weekend and was told there is a local guy that has received a new body. I will try and get a look at it and report back.

Mike

68fusion
08-10-2005, 06:49 PM
been told many things about these "bodies". To my understanding a resto guy in my area (nc) does the assembly on east coast- have been told that there are 3 others..parts easly shipped vs whole body. This would be nice choice if you have no other choices...fit a finish is poor ...what do you expect, take the same crappy cheap repo sheet metal that they put out and weld it together....none of it fits an original car , not to mention trim and gaps and allignment of every thing that is connected with that body...geez ya'll got me all worked up.

MuscleRodz
08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
I wonder if you could buy the whole car disassembled now. If one was to jig up an original car and then use it to assemble a new one by guys who know what they are doing and could car less about production quotas.

Mike

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-10-2005, 07:28 PM
pay for repro get repro quality ...best to get oem stuff ...looks better feels better and sales!! better lol

wantahertzdonut
08-11-2005, 05:18 AM

Personally this is why I think repros are great. I could care less about having something original, I just want the look. Being able to drive a car that's more suited for harsher elements would be great! And that says nothing for the racers, who could buy a repro car, race it, and there wouldn't be any fear of wrecking a classic car. You can drive it the way it was meant to: hard.

If the price comes down I'd happily buy one and go thrash on it all the time, and not have to worry about rust? How great is that?!

wantahertzdonut
08-11-2005, 05:20 AM
I wonder if you could buy the whole car disassembled now. If one was to jig up an original car and then use it to assemble a new one by guys who know what they are doing and could car less about production quotas.

Mike

Why couldn't they just do this at the factory and sell bodies that are properly assembled to begin with?

ProdigyCustoms
08-11-2005, 05:29 AM
And you know what, so be it, it isn't that big of a deal for a capable body man.

Mark

Well I guess the company building them could not find a capable bodyman based on what we have seen. You are correct, guy's like us can fix anything. But why does it have to be cut apart, split, hammered, banged, to make it fit. And how happy is a buyer going to be with a paint bill with an additional 50 to 100 hours of fab work on his bill to make his new body what he thought it was when he bought it?

As I said, I have not seen the production body, it may be better.

Rick Dorion
08-11-2005, 05:59 AM
When I spoke with Jim Barber at Carlisle he said that they were improving fit/finish. They had the green car and a shell. The shell looked better. How much better I can't say as I didn't really crawl over it. I see it as an option if my car get's mangled.

Steve Chryssos
08-11-2005, 06:02 AM
......So, when all that "does" get sorted......Mark

IF

If it gets sorted out. I have faith in the concept. I just don't have faith in the company. Too many mis-steps, hiccups, and cluster****s.

What if the thing shows up and you're unhappy?

Customer: "Uhh, Hello? Customer Service? I'd like to make a return please. I'd like a refund."
Dynacorn: "Sure sir. No problem. Just put it in a box, drop it off at your local UPS Store and ship it back to us".

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2005, 07:49 AM

Mark

<-- picture me nodding :)

I see a lot of these getting bought then the people figuring out how much $$$ it will cost to add every single part to the "car".. talk about nickle and diming you to death..

I need to see one in person to check the fit and finish but the concept is sorta cool..

paul67
08-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Myself I think they need to come with the doors fitted as that would show up a few faults ie gaps, being as there's no roof to stop body flex, and if it's straight would not take long to fit doors at the factory.
paul67

Mean 69
08-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Well I guess the company building them could not find a capable bodyman based on what we have seen. You are correct, guy's like us can fix anything. But why does it have to be cut apart, split, hammered, banged, to make it fit. And how happy is a buyer going to be with a paint bill with an additional 50 to 100 hours of fab work on his bill to make his new body what he thought it was when he bought it?

Yes, I understand what you mean, completely. In fact, first hand. I mentioned my 70, I looked at the panels, and thought, this will be a snap, they even show you how in the magazines. "Fits like the orginial." It wasn't the case, and I would not have been able to do it myself, but my body guy made it work. But, in the end, I am happy because I will have a laser straight car that is rust free, etc. I doubt you can ask anything "more" from folks trying to make a buck (which by the way, is not a bad thing, if they aren't making money, they go out of business and no one gets anything) with raw stampings that aren't seemingly as good as the origional panels? Further, there is a learning curve associated, which suggests that they "should" get better as they produce more. I really am not trying to disagree with your points, it "should" be that you get something really nice from the get go.

I casually read the comments on the previous posts, and no question, the guy stepped on his weenie. Not good. In the company's defense (not necessarily the individual), I'd guess that the response was overwhelming, and there were more questions that they hadn't considered that came up, demand was higher, teething pains were more severe, etc. I'd like to think that it is a case like a commercial I saw years back, a bunch of young folks had just launched their on-line store and were watching orders come in. First hundred, they all were excited, first thousand, they were even more so, then the things just starts spooling up and they all get terrified about how to keep up! Good problem to have, still a problem though.

So what next? Well, the title issue aside, two things can happen as I see it. One, they will get their poop together and sell a bunch of these things and make people happy. Two, they won't, and go out of business and/or someone else will come in and figure out how to do it right. I'll presume that the numbers pencil out in terms of returns on investment, because it looks to me like the demand is there for such a product. It sure the heck is with the old hot rod bodies, and the generation that prefers the muscle cars is aging to the point where they can afford one, and want one.

I'd still prefer a composite if I were to do a custom car. The technology of materials these days is incredible, if you know the right folks to put the pieces together, you'd be amazed. I saw a prototype body the other day, the guy kicked the thing and pounded on it to show me how tough it was, it was just unreal. Not an ordinary fiberglass deal to say the least.

Who knows a good car lobbyist!?!
Mark

JoshStratton
08-11-2005, 09:06 AM
I wouldnt think the title issue would be much of a problem at all...assuming these things work like any other kit car would. When I was a kid, my dad and I (sort of) built a Dune Buggy. Everything was new right down to the rubber on the wheels. We took it to the local Sheriff station, they approved it for street legal running and we were able to get it titled with a new VIN and everything. I assume these would be the same. I haven't really looked into it since then, but I assumed it would be the exact same thing....am I mistaken?

That movie rocks.
Just cleaning out the old locker, she stinks like ass but I'll sure miss her... I guess you could say that about all my girls.

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Yea, a kit car in CA is a bit more of a challenge.. or is it?

The definition of kit car:
580. A "specially constructed vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts.

What this means is that:

Existing law requires most motor vehicles of a model year 1975 and newer to pass a smog check, emissions control inspection, prior to initial registration or transfer of ownership and every second annual renewal. Starting April 1, 2005, the law will require most motor vehicles of a model year 1976 and newer to pass a smog check, emissions control inspection.

Specially constructed vehicles do not have a manufacturer assigned model year because they are esentially home-made vehicles. In the past these vehicles were subject to the emissions control requirements applicable to the year of the engine installed in the vehicle and the regular smog inspections per the county where the vehicle was registered. The year of the engine was determined by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) referee during the initial inspection.

In 2001, Senate Bill 100 passed which allowed the first 500 specially constructed passenger vehicles and pick-up trucks presented for original (initial) registration to DMV to have the year model for emissions control equipment and inspection purposes based on the appearance of the engine or the vehicle as a whole. In addition, if the vehicle or engine does not resemble an established make or year model BAR is required to assign 1960 as the year model for emission control purposes. In 2002, another Senate Bill passed, SB 1578, which allowed previously registered vehicles to be allowed this special consideration by BAR in addition to initial registrations.

What is a SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?

A SPCNS Certificate of Sequence is a form issued by the DMV that is presented to a BAR referee inspection station identifying the vehicle as one of the first 500 eligible for the SPCNS emission control program. Applications for the certificates are available starting January 1 of every year. Once the 500 yearly allotment of certificates has been issued applicants must wait until the next January 1 to apply for a certificate.

Once you have applied for a SPCNS Certificate of Sequence at your local DMV (and there are still certificates available) you will recieve the certificate within 7-10 working days in the mail. The certificate must be presented to the Smog Referee at the time of your smog inspection appointment.

Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS Certificates of Sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.

Not too bad.. what happens if you are #501??

Im surprised we are so nice about it.. lol

JoshStratton
08-11-2005, 09:33 AM
In 2001, Senate Bill 100 passed which allowed the first 500 specially constructed passenger vehicles and pick-up trucks presented for original (initial) registration to DMV to have the year model for emissions control equipment and inspection purposes based on the appearance of the engine or the vehicle as a whole. In addition, if the vehicle or engine does not resemble an established make or year model BAR is required to assign 1960 as the year model for emission control purposes. In 2002, another Senate Bill passed, SB 1578, which allowed previously registered vehicles to be allowed this special consideration by BAR in addition to initial registrations.

Does Senate refer to Uncle Arnold's Senate or Uncle Sam's Senate?

Not too bad.. what happens if you are #501??

That is a VERY good question. It doesnt mention if 500 is the cut-off. If it is, I wonder if you can sell your position to the highest bidder?

formula
08-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Mac: Hey Farva. Whats the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
Farva: You mean Shenanigans?
funniest movie EVAAR!!!1

/threadjack.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

i love that move so very much. i fell out of my chair at all the super trooper reference in dukes.

as for the body: while i enjoy the idea of being able to pick up a brand new body for one of the sweetest cars in the world, all of the quality issues and their shiftyness have scared me off before i ever even had a chance to see their product. just goes to show how powerful word of mouth is.

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Does Senate refer to Uncle Arnold's Senate or Uncle Sam's Senate?

That is a VERY good question. It doesnt mention if 500 is the cut-off. If it is, I wonder if you can sell your position to the highest bidder?

It's our dopy Arnold's Senate..

MuscleRodz
08-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Mark, I don't see Dynacorn going out of business. They keep making inferior parts and we keep buying. The good news is that repro parts are getteing better, just not as fast as we like.

Back to the bodies on ebay. Isn't their listing in violation of EBAY rules that items must be in stock at the time of the auction. I noticed the listing said it could take 6-8 weeks to get your body. It sounds like they are building on order.

Mike