PDA

View Full Version : what size eletric fan for a camaro?

DCx
09-05-2004, 03:19 AM
what size eletric fan will fit in a standard 69 camaro radiator? I bought an aluminum radiator from classic industries that is the same size as an original. Will a 16" fan work? I would like it if someone would post the part number for a fan that they are using so I can call summit and get one. By the way the car is a small block with aluminum heads, intake, and long water pump.

Justin

gmachinz
09-06-2004, 03:59 AM
:hmm: I can't believe nobody has responded to your thread yet. Where is everyone? Anyway, the current trend is to use a '97-up Lincoln Mark VIII fan which pulls 4500-5000 cfm @33 amps. The 33-amp figure I got from the dealer with no mention of voltage spikes, excessive amp draw, etc. But, even so it's a good idea to use a 50-70 amp relay and a 40-50 amp inline fuse. Around here, those fans sell at the dealerships for $300+ but Rockauto.com has them for around $130-140 I am told. I scored mine NEW off E-bay a couple weeks ago for $110 and I picked it up! Make sure your charging system is up to the task, though and don't skimp on the wiring-it needs some serious juice to maintain performance. It fits 1st gen. Camaros like a glove! Mine is on a 3rd. Monte Carlo. -Jabin

Jerods68camaro
09-06-2004, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I just put my Mark VII fan in a couple of weeks ago and it rules! It keeps the camaro nice and cool and it's very hot and humid here in the middle of nowhere (Nebraska-Go Huskers!!!) Notice, it is even on a steel 4 core radiator until my aluminum is in!!

67 455 Bird ragtop
10-22-2004, 05:20 PM
I just purchased a dual fan from a 95 F-body with an LT1, It fits perfectly on a 4 core radiator. I plan on using a derale thermostat/realy from summit on the seconday fan. This controller allows the fan to contiue to run for a few minutes after you turn off the motor. I'll use a Hayden adjustable thermostat/relay on the primary fan. Found several post on the net about these controllers on 4th Gen F-bodies.

gmachinz
10-23-2004, 03:41 AM
Out of curiosity, what are the amp draw/CFM ratings for those fans? -Jabin