PDA

View Full Version : silver second gen camaro

chevelletiger
11-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Who owns the second gen that was at sat. Goodguys delmar with the windshield sticker that says "old school"? Any info on the build or parts hes running,guy looked really fast. Phil

Tomswheels
11-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Gerald Lum is the original owner/driver of that 71 Camaro, 427 old school Small block w/aluminum heads, stock Camaro discs up front with rear finned drums. Unbelievable how hard he drives that car and how well it does with the amount of stock GM parts he uses.

mpozzi
11-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Gerald Lum is indeed the owner of that '71 Camaro and is the real-deal. A heckuva nice guy, too. He's really proud of that "Old School" theme and has done exceptionally well with this car throughout the years. I'm especially happy that he won Good Guys Street Machine class and from what I heard, turned in a killer last run to get it done.

Congratulations, Gerald ...

Mary Pozzi

Gandalf
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Yep - that's Gerald Lum. I had the pleasure of spending time with him this weekend, swapping out for a ride-along in each of our respective cars. That car moves out HARD and Gerald knows how to throw it around too. Love the Old School theme and the lack of aftermarket parts and widgets. When I asked him how long it's taken him to develop the platform as it sits today - that was easy he said; he's owned it since NEW! 40yrs of trying different things and learning to drive better and better will net you that. Gerald was generous enough to review his notes with me and how he attacks the coarse. Respective ride's in each other's cars really helped me a lot <thanks Gerald - you rock!>.

G.

Ron.in.SoCal
11-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Yep - that's Gerald Lum. I had the pleasure of spending time with him this weekend, swapping out for a ride-along in each of our respective cars. That car moves out HARD and Gerald knows how to throw it around too. Love the Old School theme and the lack of aftermarket parts and widgets. When I asked him how long it's taken him to develop the platform as it sits today - that was easy he said; he's owned it since NEW! 40yrs of trying different things and learning to drive better and better will net you that. Gerald was generous enough to review his notes with me and how he attacks the coarse. Respective ride's in each other's cars really helped me a lot <thanks Gerald - you rock!>.

G.

^ a bit modest there Sir. I think I read you knocked down 3rd place? :cheers:

77ztwo8
11-27-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm a big fan of his car also.Does anybody know if he is a member of this site or any other site where i can contact him? I love to pick his brain.

chevelletiger
11-27-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm a big fan of his car also.Does anybody know if he is a member of this site or any other site where i can contact him? I love to pick his brain.

^^ x2,i wanted to talk with him but didnt get a chance.phil

Rod
11-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Gerald is a very nice and humble person, we have raced together for a while and like the car says he's all oldschool he's not a forum or facebook member, I will be talking with him this weekend if there's something you would like me to pass on I will

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/11/IMG_3400-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/11/IMG_2916-1.jpg

77ztwo8
11-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Rod,

Thanks! That will be great .Have like a million questions about his car but I'll narrow it down two questions.Did his car come from the factory without the rear spoiler and stripes?And whats all the wheel & tire combinations did he have thru out the history of car especially largest sizes?Thanks again for your hospitallity.

chevelletiger
11-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Rod,my questions are motor/trans,what mods to stock a-arms if any tall bj or the like.quick ratio box,ect. Really intrested in what he does fast dude!thank you rod.phil

formula350
11-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Anyone notice the washcloth oil cap/breather? Haha Love it. love second gens, and he drove the Hell outta that thing too. Had a great time at good guys

Tomswheels
11-28-2012, 07:51 AM
I do know its an aftermarket (Dart?) small block, punched out to a 427 with AFR aluminum heads and he uses a TKO600 trans.

blown67
11-28-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.superchevy.com/features/camaro/sucp_1002_1972_chevy_camaro_z28/viewall.html
Hope link works doing this on phone

Tomswheels
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
I know he has changed the engine, wheels, and tires since that article.

Rod
11-28-2012, 12:42 PM
thats a great article

chevelletiger
11-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Wow!pretty simple set hes running i like seeing someone with a no frills car whoop the high dollar guy!

soloracerSD
11-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Tom If I believe my eyes you had the second fastest time of the weekend.The stock 69 Cuda was quick,But the 2013 stock GT Mustang WOW was it a 55.3?? do I need to have my eyes checked? thats what I saw

Rod
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Tom If I believe my eyes you had the second fastest time of the weekend.The stock 69 Cuda was quick,But the 2013 stock GT Mustang WOW was it a 55.3?? do I need to have my eyes checked? thats what I saw

yes Tom rocked that mustang to a super fast time on super sunday!

soloracerSD
11-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Now Tom K He tells me his Mustang doesn't have stock springs..I'm not impressed now! ...LOL No thats a super fast time..lol

ROD I know I saw that Camaro of yours at a San Diego SCCA practice earlier this year.. Did you know the big west lot that is known for it's fun sloping hill autocross..It will be lost next year.Half of it has been least for a Meditreanian style open air market.every weekend 2013.Last chance to use it Dec 9th. You and Gerald and others should come down.8 laps for 50 or 4 laps for 30.Next year saturdays are 45.00 for 9 to 12 laps in 1.5 hour time periods