PDA

View Full Version : Quieting a shop compressor?

Boyd
08-03-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm in the parts and tool gathering stage now and recently purchased a new large compressor for my soon to start '78 Type LT P/T project. The build will take place in my 2 car garage. (I also bought a cheap 9 x 10 metal storage building for all the lawn tools - nothing goes in the garage unless it has to do with the car.) Anyway, this is my dilemna. The ideal location for the compressor (due to wiring locations and the layout of the garage) is up against an interior wall. 2 of my daughters share a bedroom on the other side of this wall. Now, I see a lot of late nights in the garage in my future, so what would be the best way to "quiet" the compressor? Does anyone make baffles for the intake? I know that is where most of the noise comes from. Should I build a "false" wall using 2 x 2's and sheet foam insulation? Will a couple layers of 1/2" sheet rock kill the noise enough? Anyone else here addressed this problem?

BEEBE
08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
AS you have mentioned , the intake is usually the majority of the noise.

I have been told to duct or run the intake to the exterior of the garage.

This will help aid the noise and also allow the commpressor to breathe fresh , cool , air instead of hot dusty shop air.

race-rodz-inc
08-03-2005, 04:24 PM
also... when bolting it to the floor...... use some rubber "pads" under the "feet". it helps reduce the vibration through the floor/walls etc.

harshman
08-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Cheesy yes but what are you gonna do?

This topic has been buggin’ me for a while too.

I just engineered a silencer for mine about 5 minutes ago. I took a look at the inlet and determined that the back end of an empty caulk tube would fit. I then took a rag, trimmed it, rolled it and stuffed it into the tube (about 6” long). I trimmed the outside housing and batabing – it’s a bit quieter. Just keep in mind not to restrict the air that much.

sanddan
08-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Build a simple shed attached to the outside wall of your garage and install the compressor there. You could insulate the walls of the shed to cut the noise down for your neighbors :)
This is what I did for my shop.

69 Hugger 396
08-04-2005, 04:32 PM
We moved our compressor intakes outside at our shop and the noise dropped dramatically inside.

68protouring454
08-04-2005, 05:48 PM
it also matters what kind of compressor we are talking about, good luck keep an oiless one quiet, as far as a 2 stage like guys have said get intake outside, which will quiet it a bunch, best bet is to build a enclosed room for it
jake

BRIAN
08-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I am going to assume you want to keep it quiet inside and out for the neighbors? I mounted my home set up on a shipping crate. Makes it easy to move and dampens floors noise. I also built box around motor with 5/8 rock and heavy insulation on wall side. Muffled and actually hardly detectable outside.

HHStang
08-04-2005, 05:55 PM
I just moved mine outside and it is NICE in my garage now. Major big difference. Big compressors look great in the shop, but they are horrible to work around. Now only my neighbors know when this thing kicks on and off.

ertoys
08-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Mine is of the oiless variety as mentioned above, and it sucks!

Had I known that wwas the case with the oiless compressors, I would not have boiught it:crying:

paul67
08-06-2005, 06:03 AM
Also if the in take is inside when you spray it sucks in the overspray
paul67

Jim Nilsen
08-06-2005, 05:31 PM
McMaster -Carr sells sound absorbing material of several types that work well and are of different expense to you wallet. A simple plywood box with the material inside or both inside and outside will reduce the noise level dramatically on any type of compressor. Ventilation from the outside is a must if you want any compressor to live in a garage where you plan to do everything. Heat buildup is a big killer for compressors so putting in a thermostatic controlled fan or ones that come on when the compressor runs to circulate outside air will help the life of the compressor. The small fans that are found on control cabinets can be found cheap and will not add to the sound level like most fans will and will also not cost as much to run. The other benefits of the fans is the same db level reduction you get from flow thru ventilation in your car.

If you are looking for space you can put he compressor in the attic if you have one and insulate it to keep it from freezing and getting too hot. Remember to isolate the mounting or the feet to keep the vibration down as was already stated.

Jim Nilsen