PDA

View Full Version : has anyone used bowtie OD's trannys?

camarosrlyf
07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
:3gears: hey guys,
I am looking to buy a 700R4 and was considering Bowtie OD's.
Has anyone used them? Any feedback?
They seem to have a decent product for the $$$

Thanks and thanks for a great site...

Tom

zbugger
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
The only thing I wouldn't use from them is the crossmember. I know a few guys running them that like them.

toofun
07-30-2005, 01:42 PM
I put one of their 700r4 in my a past 69 camaro, bought there setup kit as well as the crossmember. It all lined up perfectly. I will recommend to anyone that you talk to them about their tranny coolers they sell. I bought one and it is BY FAR THE BEST TRANNY cooler I have every bought. That tranny never even once came close to getting hot. Even in traffic or high abuse situations. It was great!!

Mark
TOOFUN

Davezz28
07-30-2005, 01:53 PM
We put a Level 3 200R4 w/ 2200 RPM locking stall converter from Bowtie Overdrives in Orangcruch69’s 69 Chevelle behind a 454. He has several track days at Buttonwillow on the car so for, and the trans has work flawlessly.

If I remember correctly, the 200R4 can be built to handle a little more torque than the 700R4.

The 200R4 has a 2.74 first gear and a .67 OD 4th, were the 700 has a 3.08 1st and a .70 4th. Something to thing about when choosing rear gearing.

What ever you decide, install the biggest cooler you can.

Dave

Roadrage David
07-31-2005, 05:57 AM
We put a Level 3 200R4 w/ 2200 RPM locking stall converter from Bowtie Overdrives in Orangcruch69’s 69 Chevelle behind a 454. He has several track days at Buttonwillow on the car so for, and the trans has work flawlessly.

If I remember correctly, the 200R4 can be built to handle a little more torque than the 700R4.

The 200R4 has a 2.74 first gear and a .67 OD 4th, were the 700 has a 3.08 1st and a .70 4th. Something to thing about when choosing rear gearing.

What ever you decide, install the biggest cooler you can.

Dave
............... Dave David here . that 69 chevelle with the tr2004r level 3 did he upshift and douwn shifted himself , ore did he drove it in Drive!!!! wat is the hp/torque level that the 454 is puting out on that trans . tanks in advands

Orngcrush69
07-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Roadrage D, I did 3 tests on the tranny, the 1st was to keep it in 3rd, not a good thing, it puked tranny fluid, 2nd test I did shift between 3 & 4, worked great but kept me away from driving the track, 3rd time I just left it in 4th and concentrated on the track, it was great! When I get better at the track I will probably shift between 3&4. The BTO tranny is great! As far as hp/torque that's DaveZ's department, I'm just the driver.

Roadrage David
08-01-2005, 01:08 PM
thanks !! i visited there website again but could not find howmutch hp the level 3 could take . i could have sworn i saw it before . also i read you can up and douwnshift with the transmission ...

camarosrlyf
08-01-2005, 02:45 PM
thanks for all the great input. I'll probably go with a level 2. they are including a TV kit with any level 2 or 3. Just need to figure out all the other logistics of the swap..

Tom

shanekennedy
08-02-2005, 04:10 AM
i'm in need of an automatic overdrive also. see if you can hit them up for a group purchase.

Fuelie Fan
08-02-2005, 07:18 AM
maybe my dad's the only one? His truck blew up not one but two of bowtie's trans's. before installing the second he added a SECOND trans cooler since they tried to say he wasn't cooling it enough. Then he went to another shop that commented on getting a fair amount of ex-Bowtie customers, but maybe he was blowing steam? Anyways, the 400turbo/GV OD haven't had any "cooling problems". Maybe they're good for short-blast racing but not tough enough for towing. Not trying to flame. That's been our experience.

PS ended up going with the 400/BT becuase it was actually cheaper (long story short, we turned a truck that had the Gear Vendors in it, so it was basically free, and he had a good 400 core that cost very little to go through). The point is Bowtie said their trans was up to the task, he described his rig to them first, yet they failed twice.

camarosrlyf
08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
I'll ask them about a GP. I had a few questions for them before I order.
Thanks

Blown353
08-03-2005, 11:12 AM
I used to run a Bowtie 700R4 before I blew it up on a 2-3 shift 200 miles after going supercharged (about 8000 total miles on the tranny.) I ran it with both a 1800 stall GM converter, a 3000 stall 9/11 Bowtie converter (loose as a goose, and not worth $50 of the $650 they charged me for it), and later with a GM 2200 stall 'Vette converter.

The tranny always had slightly "lazy" shifting behavior at heavy throttle from day 1, especially on the 2-3 shift that I was never really satisfied with. TV was set properly and line pressures were OK. It also had a bad valve body and governor right out of the box from Bowtie (4000rpm WOT shifts and spotty shift quality after the first installation) but to Bowtie's credit they overnighted me a new valvebody and governor which fixed the problem. They even paid return shipping.

I also bought one of their tubular crossmembers. It fits just fine and looks nice being tubular and all but it's just too flexible. Now that my car is a stick I can see the shift lever move up and down over big bumps as the crossmember flexes up and down. I'll be putting the stock crossmember back in next time I have my tranny out. With the bowtie crossmember you can get under the car and literally "benchpress" the crossmember upwards about 1/2-3/4" then watch it sag back down under the weight of the enginet/tranny when you let go. Not good for maintaining pinion angle. No such problems with a stock crossmember.

Their "TV made EZ" system is great though. Very well thought out and easy to set up.

If I had to go automatic again and choose between a 700R4 and a 2004R I'd go with the 200. It's a stronger tranny that doesn't have the 3rd gear valvebody fluid path limitations that the 700 has (as told to me by Bruce Toelle by Performance Transmissions, a very well respected builder in the Grand National scene.) The fluid path for 3rd gear is what causes the common 3rd gear failures in the 700R4.

Troy

shanekennedy
08-04-2005, 04:09 AM
I'll ask them about a GP. I had a few questions for them before I order.
Thanks

if they offer a decent discount, i can make a purchase whenever you are ready. i may can drum up a few more buys from other forums.

socalfandabodys
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
I put the level 2 200 tranny in my 68 chevelle. Ive had it for 4000 miles so far and the only complaint is when you leave it in drive and take off from a stop, when it hits second gear it becomes a dog. If you manually shift it from 1st,2nd,3rd,4th it takes off alot better. There is nothing sweeter than crusing at 80mph turning 2300 rpm though. Im running it behind a 500 horse big block chevy and it is holding up good. All in all I recommend going with the 200 and as everyone has said make sure to keep it cool.