PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Pontiac Tempest/GTO Clone

Karch
09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Guys, after close to 25 years of ownership, it is time for me to part with my '65 Pontiac.

I bought the car (Tempest) as a fun little project, wanting to drive out to the track, an hour away, run 12's, then drive home. At the time, not too many were actually doing it, let alone on the budget that I had (part-time work, college, etc.).

Through the years, it's has a 326-2V, 350-2V, and 455-4V. It came with a ST300, now has a nice TH400...

Along the way, I got a degree, job, and change in marital status. I decided to shift gears a bit and put a GTO hood on, and then this and that.

All in all, it's a good car. Very little rust, but does need someone to spend a weekend or two to clean it up and such. I recently had a new windshield installed, and while I feared the pinchweld was going to be rusted, I was pleasantly surprised it is solid. I have pictures of that as well. Also, the rear glass was reset last year to take care of some weeping, so that's all good (no rust in floors).

Photobucket is having problems right now, but I will upload pictures as best I can, when I can. I am going away for a couple of days, so the bulk of them will probably be needed to upload then.

I am selling it now because I just don't have any time, with the wife, two kids, and work keeping me busy. I don't have a garage to keep it in, and I am going to need to step aside from the hobby for awhile. Actually, I have away from the Pontiac community for awhile.

Also, in the area I live, traffic is absolutely horrendous, and it was even before this 3-4 year interstate project right near my house.

Here are some specs:

Body
1965 Tempest 2-door coupe (not hardtop), GTO clone, all original glass, doors, quarters, floors, trunk, left fender replaced (due to 1994 Northridge earthquake), hood replaced (factory GTO hood, not re-pop),

Engine
1972 455, 0.30” over, zero deck, TRW forged pistons, crank is 010/010, balanced, ARP rod bolts on resized, shot peened, and side polished factory rods, Chrome-moly rings; Comp chrome-moly pushrods
Ultradyne 230/238 HR, 600” lift with 1.65 rockers, 112 LSA, RPM intake,

Edelbrock 72cc heads, 79cc, setup by WCCH, comp springs, 10 degree retainers/locks, Crane HI-6 ignitiion with HEI

Exhaust
Indian Adventures round port (1-7/8" primaries), ceramic coated, into 2-1/2" dual exhaust with H-pipe.

Transmission
TH400, performance HD rebuild, 2800 rpm stall by Continental Converters

Rearend
Chevy El Camino 12-bolt, 3.31 posi (believe to be 1968 vintage), rebuilt using GM clutches, axles were shot peened, 3” wheel studs

Front Suspension
Hotchkis tubular upper A-Arms, B-Body spindles (powder coated), 1-1/4” sway bar, custom springs, Bilstein shocks, rebuilt close ratio steering box

Rear Suspension
Hotchkis adjustable upper trailing arms, no-hop bars, boxed lower trailing arms, Bilstein shocks, 1” sway bar

Fuel
Mallory 110 electric pump mounted near rear bumper, ½” aluminum line to front
Holley 7990, redone by Performance Carb, flows 930 CFM

Brakes
Front: 12” 3rd Gen Camaro 1LE Front brakes, Performance Friction pads, under 200 miles, drilled rotors
Rear: 12” Camaro LS disk brakes, drilled rotors

Wheels/tires
Weld Draglight 15x5” front with 215/70 radial tires
Weld Draglight 15x8.5” rear with 275/60 McCreary tires

It does need new tires, and since I have installed 12" disc brakes all around, I suggest going to 16" or 17".

I have a better left rear taillight bezel, and a bunch of extra parts. Some will go with the car (example, cover, door reveal moldings with new felts and rubbers, etc), some will be sold extra or after the car is sold.

I am asking $18K. I think this is a fair price, as the car has a lot of really good features, and has been in California all it's life (as far as I can tell), but let me know if you think otherwise. I know it's not a GTO, but I never wanted a real one, as I always knew I'd want to modify it (I'm an engineer), but didn't want to alter a real GTO).

andrewb70
09-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Neat car. Good luck with the sale!

Andrew

Karch
09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks Andrew. I really am sad to sell it, but I am trying to buy a CTS-V, which I think I'll get more use out of (daily driver).

Karch
03-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Sold