PDA

View Full Version : Any planning for 2013???

NJSPEEDER
08-21-2012, 08:12 PM
I know at this year's RTTS Bill had mentioned that we needed to raise participation. Let's get the ball rolling early.

Let's hear some suggestions to make the event better for participants and spectators and get more cars out to NJMP

-Tim

GNon18s
08-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I will attend this event every year they have it, no question! The 2012 event would have been more successful If it was not on Easter weekend. I have already decided if ASCS stops going to this track Im going to sign up with NASA to do track days there. (New Jersey motorsports park)

SicMonte
08-29-2012, 05:51 AM
I agree that the Easter weekend killed attendance. That track is so busy I can imagine that it is 1) almost impossible for a open day in season and 2) stupid expensive for an in season day.

I will always go to that event though and have tried to promote it as much as I could. I put it up in four different forums...but the Easter weekend was an issue.

NJSPEEDER
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
With the number of muscle car clubs that operate in the area I think there is some serious opportunity to sell this event out. Plus we have so many great performance companies that call the northeast home. Hard to imagine we couldn't make it a successful event if we can get some local push behind it.b Easter weekend is tough but being early in the season is still an advantage since everyone will be tired of bummin around waiting for the snow to melt by then.

The sooner the date is locked in and we can all hit the streets and forums to promote the better. Get some flyers designed and we can all start promoting before autocross and the tracks are gone for the winter. Give everyone something to work towards in the spring.

-Tim

Bill Howell
08-29-2012, 09:24 PM
The big issue with NJMP is they have no open dates unless you buy the whole weekend and it is just cost prohibitive. I hate to say it, but for now it is not looking good for RTTS3. Without some change in date availability for a single day, we just can't make the numbers work anymore.

lvrpool32
08-30-2012, 04:48 AM
Well I think the issue with RTTS last year was that it was on a major holiday weekend, and both event's have been early for us in the North East (New York, New England, Ct) as far as weather is concerned (it snowed on the way down there on the first RTTS and it was 45 degrees at the track) so a lot of people may not even have their cars out of storage or ready for the season.
What about somewhere like Lime Rock? Pocono? Or making the event mid week like an SCDA type event?

Nick

BonzoHansen
08-30-2012, 04:57 AM
:(

Englishtown?

GNon18s
08-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Watkins Glen? Mid-Ohio? Pocono? VIR? or way down my list would be Summit point?

TheJDMan
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
What's wrong with Summit Point? Yes it is older but they have made some major improvements in the facilities over the past few years and can host multiple events simultaniously on three different circuits. VIR is one of the top facilities on the east coast but I don't know if they can host multiple events simultaniously. IMO, either Summit Point or VIR would be excellent venues for RTTS3.

diesel25lrs
09-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I vote VIR as well- great central location for us East coasters! It is usually very busy as well so that may pose the same problem...

NJSPEEDER
09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I think it would be a shame to lose the only event of it's kind in the Philadelphia-New York City market.

Bill, as Bonzo, and I discussed with you briefly at the event this year, there are a ton of untouched opportunities in the area. All it would take is picking a weekend and take advantage of the helping hand that many of us locals have offered.

-Tim

hotrdblder
09-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I heard thompson raceway in Connecticut is re opening its road course, might be worth looking into.

gsxrken
09-05-2012, 02:46 PM
VIR and Mid-Ohio are 10 hours away from me in NY; that's more than a hike. That's a trailer.
Lime Rock is tight but if you stay within your limits would be an awesome venue.
The Glen is just too fast for these marginally prepared dinosaurs (at least from a safety standpoint). if something went wrong it could be unspeakable.
I never heard of Thompson in CT. Was it any good?

lvrpool32
09-05-2012, 04:19 PM
The only problem with Limerock is the noise limit..I think its down to 86db now (or maybe 89db)...I think my starter motor is louder than that!

vintageracer
09-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I heard thompson raceway in Connecticut is re opening its road course.

Now there is a REAL vintage old time race course from the past that most people have never heard about!

nicks67camaro
09-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I had a blast at RTTS2. I really hope there is an event for the Northeast again. Bill does a great job at these events and to lose one would be a shame. I'm in CT and would be game for anything in New England area.

lvrpool32
09-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Thompson is rumoured to be ready for the 2013 season, with the SCCA already signing up to run events there. Also Pocono is having the first "night time" track event in the North East this month, they seem to be doing more stuff now there's new people in charge.

vette427-sbc
09-06-2012, 06:22 AM
What would it take to make numbers for NJMP? Another Sponsor? More attendance?
NJMP is a really fun track and seems like it is centrally located for ALOT of the east coast PT crew.

cpstang24
09-06-2012, 07:32 AM
i know this was stated alot in the thread, but it was on Easter Weekend, i had 3 friends with cars planned to come, but could not leave the family for easter weekend. I know it is costly and tough to rent a whole weekend, but hopefully it does not fall on a major holiday this year, i do not care if it falls on Christmas because i will still be there, but hopefully we can reach some kind of agreement.

Thompson CT course will not be ready until the end of the year at best, a lot of work left to be done if you ask me, so i think that is out, i would be very interested in going to Pocono, or VIR (VIR is a haul for me but) always wanted to go there...

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS EVENT!!!! it was a blast for the past 2 years i went with ^^This guy above me, and would love to continue going for years and years to come.

BonzoHansen
09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
easter is why i could go this year - no baseball that weekend. although it seemed that the prior year it was not easter and had similar attendance. BH can yea or nay that.

SRD art
09-06-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm pretty new to the sport and haven't been able to attend a big event yet but REALLY look forward to attending some next season. I enjoy track time on an amateur level, autocross, road course and drag racing. I can understand the cost to rent a large facility for several race venues, but talking with several folks that seems to be a limiting factor to some for cost reasons, especially out of staters. I can only speak for myself, but I think I'd enjoy an event that was limited to one type of racing just as much as several.

Now that I'm finally moved to Georgia, I'm finding it hard to find local pro-touring friendly events outside of SCCA, where realistically my car doesn't fit in anyways. The road course track in Utah had monthly amateur nights where you could run autocross and road course in your street car, as long as it would pass a few safety items. To get on the road course was $35 and Autocross was $10. They had a huge turnout every month. I'm now missing that.

It would be great to have smaller events in all the Run To areas, sort of a "mini run-to" series that might be every couple months and simply setting up an autocross course in a parking lot. I'd imagine the cost would be much lower and there would be more opportunity for folks to attend. Smaller events get folks excited, and would be a great way to market and possibly lead to better attendance of the big annual event where attendees have access to more venues. Just a thought...

I drive my car daily, but after a disappointing search to find local race venues recently, I almost felt like dumping all the time and $ into the car wasn't worth it with only 2 or 3 events within a few hours of here a year to beat on it.

The Stickman
09-07-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm back in. I missed this year but will do everything to make next year. If price is a problem switch to Pocono. They have a few courses to choose from. Should be cheaper too.

BonzoHansen
09-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm back in. I missed this year but will do everything to make next year. If price is a problem switch to Pocono. They have a few courses to choose from. Should be cheaper too.

keep the same acronym. Run to the sticks

The Stickman
09-07-2012, 04:44 PM
keep the same acronym. Run to the sticks

So true.

NJSPEEDER
09-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Bill, it's obvious there is a lot of interest. Any chance of letting the locals do some digging to see if there is another viable facility we can take a shot at?

66larkgs
09-08-2012, 09:57 PM
what about fort Devins in Ayer, mass. It is Moore Army Airfield and is used for police training and scca on the weekends. Maybe we should look into this Place also. I have never been so i can not say how it is but i do work with a few people that race thier all the time. I am supposed to go to thompson speedway tomorrow for the modified races. i can take a look and maybe ask around for the autocross course.

cpstang24
09-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Bill, it's obvious there is a lot of interest. Any chance of letting the locals do some digging to see if there is another viable facility we can take a shot at?

Im with you on this, there has to be other locations within close range in the New England area that is cheaper or easier to book for a non holiday weekend.

NJSPEEDER
09-10-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't even think it is the cost or the weekend. I think it is a matter of committing earlier so that we can get the word out. I think the date was locked in but details, hotel info, and registration weren't online until mid-February this year.

I bet everyone in the region can name at least 5 muscle and pony car clubs right off the top of their head. Same goes for manufacturers and shops that may be interested in sponsoring or bringing out some cool cars to show what they can do. It's all about word of mouth and that just takes enthusiastic locals and a little bit more notice. Judging by this thread I would say we have the regional enthusiasm covered.

-Tim

Takid455
09-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm in. Why wait for bill? lets get some info and present to help the case.

sr73bu
09-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Cool to see some early interest, it seems the East Coast is slightly behind on the PT thing (atleast in numbers) and now that more guys are spreading the word about how much fun these events are, people are really starting to take more interest. I really hope we have another event SOMEWHERE in the general North east, again, interest this early is a really good sign.

NJMP, from what i've heard and what most of us know, is just extremely expensive for Bill to put on an event and still arrive at a fair price for people to say is worth it... NJ is an expensive state in general...haha

I know the Meadowlands (north NJ) has an extremely fast/large Autocross set up (cars hitting 75mph+, from what I hear).. and that may be something we can look into as a group/ASCS.... Granted its not a road course, but I believe the SCCA runs/rents that lot and as a compromise it would probably be way cheaper.. and still a lot of fun. Not to mention we could probably run a speed stop squared and an autocross all day, maybe even all weekend.... Just a thought. Anyone on here a member of the North NJ Region SCCA that could possibly help get this event rolling???

-Sean

ryeguy2006a
09-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I would love to go to this event as long as it wasn't on a major holiday weekend. I just need to get a motor/transmission with better fuel economy.

Where do they usually start and finish? I saw someone mention Watkins Glen and that is only about an hour from me.

68sixspeed
09-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Lime Rock has some "no noise limit" days early and late in the season, that might be an option. I have had the discussion with Ian at SCDA in the past and if we can get even 20 cars for Lime Rock, we can have a private run group of just our guys, instructors could be available.

Also Pocano is said to be redoing the infield road courses for next year with the hopes of getting some higher end series in. The new course is rumored to be pretty good by those who have seen the layout. Watkins Glenn offers rentals as well, but the blue-bushes (armco fence) is intimidating. Monticello NY is a long shot, but with publicity they may be interested, they let the magazines use it but it is a private club. I ran it when they use to let the driving schools in, it is an awesome facility, 3.75 miles, very fast areas but some slow sections too.

GNon18s
09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
I think Pocono would be cool because they use a large portion of the banked Nascar track for the road course. I mentioned Watkins Glen because ..well, its Watkins Glen. For all I know, both of these could be more expensive than NJMP.

GNon18s
09-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Hopefully after Bill H. is done with the upcoming RTTH he will chime back in and give his thoughts on a replacement venue for RTTS.

68sixspeed
09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
A good thing (other than it's a half hour from my house) on Lime Rock is that is is close for the NYC and NJ area people, and there is an autocross area at the track too. The track has some decent runoff areas too. The hard part is finding a no noise limit day. But I'd be game for anything, I couldn't do the 2012 event with the choice of date and lack of motor in my car, but at least the car is back running!

Bill- if Lime Rock is of interest I can help with local ground work since I am close by, I'm sure Randy (Probell) would help too as he is also local.

NJSPEEDER
09-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Well, let's hear some numbers from everyone. The only assumption if other tracks are to be considered is planning for it not to be a holiday weekend.

Who's interested in general?
Who would commit if it is a cruise + Autocross and some variant of the speed stop?
Who would commit if it was just a day on a road course?
Who would be interested in it was the whole sh-bang?
How much are any of the above options worth to those interested?

One thing that would be a must for the event is to have a date and some commitment upfront. Even if it ends up that people aren't able to participate I would hope they can still help with promoting by posting up on the various forums and telling their friends. Regardless of what facility we are talking about these things aren't cheap, NJMP is just more not cheap than many others.

-Tim

The Stickman
09-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Well, let's hear some numbers from everyone. The only assumption if other tracks are to be considered is planning for it not to be a holiday weekend.

Who would commit if it is a cruise + Autocross and some variant of the speed stop?

One thing that would be a must for the event is to have a date and some commitment upfront. Even if it ends up that people aren't able to participate I would hope they can still help with promoting by posting up on the various forums and telling their friends. Regardless of what facility we are talking about these things aren't cheap, NJMP is just more not cheap than many others.

-Tim

I would be in for anything involved with a track day. Cruise one day track day the next would be great. I throughly enjoyed RTTS1.

SicMonte
09-11-2012, 08:25 PM

-Tim

Kim and I are in for anything and everything! This is our "local" event so we will not miss it.

Takid455
09-12-2012, 06:47 AM
If its close I would do a auto X but really prefer a road course. Wouldnt travel too far for just auto x as there are a few w/in short travels of me.

gsxrken
09-12-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm a definite for any road course wIthin 4 hours of NY. Later than April is a huge plus.

Vicinity
09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm hoping to be in for next year.

GNon18s
09-12-2012, 05:09 PM
I was looking forward to RTTS3 but if thats not happening I'll show up anywhere in the Northeast as long as its a road course.

Takid455
09-13-2012, 10:10 AM
We could do an unofficial RTTS if need...

68sixspeed
09-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Idea to bounce off you guys-- 1 day road course and autocross at Lime Rock and another day at Lebanon Valley (drag strip) with a cruise and dinner mixed in? It would have to be a Friday/Saturday thing I would think, although it might be easier to get a Thursday/Friday. -Dan

vette427-sbc
09-13-2012, 01:17 PM
In for any kind of road course action

The Stickman
09-13-2012, 01:28 PM
BTW at Pocono You easily can run on the road course (North Course) AutoX (short east course) and acceleration/braking test on the front straight all at one time.

GNon18s
09-13-2012, 02:09 PM
We could do an unofficial RTTS if need...
Like if a bunch of us go to a track day at New Jersey with NASA? Thats what im thinking. Im planning on running at least one track day in 2013 at NJMP weather its with AmericanStreetcar series or NASA.

68sixspeed
09-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I'd be in for NJ again too, how far is it from NJMP to Englishtown? Do they do Friday night street tire drags or anything like that? It would be cool to combine a few things, make it worth the trip for those coming in from 4-6 hours away vs a 1 day event. Or with NASA, SCDA etc maybe a couple as at the road course, less chance of getting totally rained out.

After Rtth, hopefully we will hear more from Bill H, I don't want to do anything to interfere with anything he may be planning, but if he isn't doing something in the NE it would be great to do even an informal event or two next year.

-Dan

BonzoHansen
09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I'd be in for NJ again too, how far is it from NJMP to Englishtown? -Dan

roughly an hour and a half. atco raceway might be closer.

sr73bu
09-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Guys check out some of the photos from the Battle at the Banks event.... maybe we could do something like that at Wall Stadium in NJ... I've seen the drifting events there that use the infield as part of the course... just a thought, but i'm sure its hell of a lot cheaper than NJMP and far less booked....

something like this: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88418-BATTLE-AT-THE-BANKS-SALEM-SPEEDWAY-May-5th-2012&highlight=battle+at+the+banks

-Sean

gsxrken
09-22-2012, 05:36 AM
By the way, if any of you are down for NJMP Lightning this Oct 5, let me know.

Group of guys has rented the track for the entire day. No classroom, no instructors, just three run groups based on experience. Pricey but you will run the tires off the car with how much on-track time you will get. Not the usual three 20 minute sessions track day by any means.

$335 and must pass NJMP tech

BonzoHansen
09-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Guys check out some of the photos from the Battle at the Banks event.... maybe we could do something like that at Wall Stadium in NJ... I've seen the drifting events there that use the infield as part of the course... just a thought, but i'm sure its hell of a lot cheaper than NJMP and far less booked....

something like this: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88418-BATTLE-AT-THE-BANKS-SALEM-SPEEDWAY-May-5th-2012&highlight=battle+at+the+banks

-Sean
I could hear them racing at wall stadium where I grew up. Ray Evernham got his start there too. My brother drove demo derby there a few times. I have not been there in many years. I think they run a cruise night in the summer.

SicMonte
09-26-2012, 02:34 AM
im down for anything in the area. We dont get many events in the NJ/MD/DE/PA area...not even a goodguys show.

For some reason the magic travel number is 8 hours away for an decent event.

TheJDMan
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
For what it's worth, VIR Resort provides onsite lodging with a nice resturant so participants would not need to leave the track for the weekend.

http://experiencevir.com/

NJSPEEDER
09-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I will try to find some time to make some phone calls and see what some of the regional facilities have to say. If we can't get a track day of our own I will ask about joining in on other open sessions or with some of the local clubs some time.

-Tim

Bill Howell
09-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Sean, any contact info on the Wall Stadium?
VIR is a cool place to play, been there with NASA a couple times now and stayed at the lodge. However, it is more expensive than NJMP and stays booked years ahead. I would love to do an event there, but the likelhood of that isn't good.

Bill Howell
09-28-2012, 05:55 AM
VIR is a cool place to play, been there with NASA a couple times now and stayed at the lodge. However, it is more expensive than NJMP and stays booked years ahead. I would love to do an event there, but the likelhood of that isn't good.

BonzoHansen
09-28-2012, 06:20 AM
http://www.wallspeedwayracing.com/

http://www.wallspeedwayracing.com/#!untitled/sitepage_26

This might matter:

Can I bring my high performance car to the track and take some laps?
- No. Unfortunately we do not have clearance from the NJ State Police for street cars to take the track. However, every second Friday of the month we have cruise night, and you have the opportunity to take your car on the track for pace laps and feel the intensity of the embankment!

I'll poke around and see if know any one that knows anyone. it's changed hands since I moved away.

edit: it appears they paved the parking lot. I remember it being a dirt lot when I was a kid

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF1803+Highway+34+South+-+Wall,+NJ+07719&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs&ie=UTF-8&ei=ILVlUJCjNYjB0QHf2YDQDg&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

BonzoHansen
09-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Bill, you worked with the SJSCCA last year. Maybe they have some insight?

Anyone know if they ever run auto-x at blue claws stadium in lakewood? IIRC they have a large lot, but it's been years since I was there. SLP, Manley and Jesel are a mere few miles from there

http://www.milb.com/team1/page.jsp?ymd=20100204&content_id=8023668&vkey=team1_t427&fext=.jsp&sid=t427

sr73bu
09-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Hi Bill- I talked with my old boss, who races on that track, he says he will try to speak with the owners (he knows them personally) to see what the deal is with track rentals. I do know that they ran auto x there back in the 70's (so i'm told). Like Scott said, its changed hands a few times and shut down on and off over the past few years, so they are most likely in need of events/money. Formula drift has ran there the past few years. I do know the track is very steap and the transition from the banking to infield will be tough on low cars like ours, but I'll have to look into that.

Aside from Wall, Raceway Park in Old Bridge NJ has a nice little Road Course. It seems like the perfect place for beginners, because of its smaller size, but still offers challenging sections for more experienced people. It has some banking and looks really fun. The North NJ region SCCA hold events here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G9NRCIib08&feature=relmfu

Another option is The Meadowlands Stadium in North NJ. I know the North NJ region SCCA runs Autocross there Also and from what I hear, cars are hitting upwards of 70mph... its definitely a big AutoX.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZf9Bp1W1g

If the roadcourse is a must than I'd also consider Summit Point (West Virginia) and Pocono Raceway.

Honestly I think Raceway Park would be best, since it not only has a roadcourse, but also an area for and autoX and a world famous drag strip... but it all depends on the price.... renting all three may be way out of budget..lol

-Sean

68sixspeed
09-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Pocano might be a good option, you could easily do 1/2 mile drags on the front straight while the rest is used for road course. (The old IMSA layout would be great!) plus there are garages, and room for autox too. I keep hearing about the road course being redone for 2013 and that the new layout is real good.

sr73bu
09-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Bill- I talked with my old boss, who races on that track, he says he will try to speak with the owners (he knows them personally) to see what the deal is with track rentals. I do know that they ran auto x there back in the 70's (so i'm told). Like Scott said, its changed hands a few times and shut down on and off over the past few years, so they are most likely in need of events/money. Formula drift has ran there the past few years. I do know the track is very steap and the transition from the banking to infield will be tough on low cars like ours, but I'll have to look into that.

Aside from Wall, Raceway Park in Old Bridge NJ has a nice little Road Course. It seems like the perfect place for beginners, because of its smaller size, but still offers challenging sections for more experienced people. It has some banking and looks really fun. The North NJ region SCCA hold events here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G9NRCIib08&feature=relmfu

Another option is The Meadowlands Stadium in North NJ. I know the North NJ region SCCA runs Autocross there Also and from what I hear, cars are hitting upwards of 70mph... its definitely a big AutoX.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZf9Bp1W1g

If the roadcourse is a must than I'd also consider Summit Point (West Virginia) and Pocono Raceway.

Honestly I think Raceway Park would be best, since it not only has a roadcourse, but also an area for and autoX and a world famous drag strip... but it all depends on the price.... renting all three may be way out of budget..lol

-Sean

Dan, Check the video on my previous post, i'm not an experienced driver, so what do you think about the Raceway Park road course in Old Bridge??... I think its a great central location (about 1.5 hours North of NJMP)....

-Sean

68sixspeed
09-28-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm familiar with raceway park's setup- it would make a great autocross, but not a real road course IMO.

I'd vote for Pocano or Lime Rock - good run off area and autocross areas are available at both right at the track. Watkins Glen would be fun but the runoff area isn't the best... darn blue bushes (armco) everywhere. I'd still go though! Although any of the 3 are better on traffic than the NJ venues (no offense, but damn, NJ is a giant traffic jam!) Even if the event moved to this time of year, the weather and scenery couldn't be better up here.

Get any further south of NJ or PA and I think you will lose most of the people from the New England states. The listed locations are already a haul from Mass, VT, NH, Maine (Jake's guys), etc. Get too far north, it is a pain for the MD, DE, PA folks.

68sixspeed
09-28-2012, 04:48 PM
After rewatching the video, raceway park has widened and changed it somewhat, (use to be 2 car widths wide max) kind of between an autox and full road course. It does keep the speeds down compared to a full course, I'm sure it would be fun, but I'd still prefer a full traditional road course... It might open the option of having that course and autox one day, drag racing and maybe speed stop on the dragstrip another day? Dan

GNon18s
09-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Road course is where its at!

BonzoHansen
09-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I was looking at the e town road course today. Looks small with walls.

The scuttlebutt after the 2006 power tour there is the track chased them out for 2007 with price. Remember at that time the your used to start where it ended the prior year. I suspect e town will be price prohibitive.

NJSPEEDER
09-29-2012, 04:00 PM
I have walked the E-town facility and I really don't think it is safe. The run off roof is concrete walls and drainage ditches. No pit comforts of any sort and a track management that has a serious history of not being helpful to anyone who isn't backed by a national sanction.

-Tim

GNon18s
09-29-2012, 05:56 PM
^Now that you mention it, the last time I drag raced at Englishtown NJ the track staff was less than pleasant. They ranged from rude to idiotic. I would drag race there again but its not where I'd like to see an ASCS event go.

NJSPEEDER
09-29-2012, 06:10 PM
The last good guy they had working the lanes and the line was Eddie Krawick and considering his standing on the pro-stock bike points I'd say he's moved on to bigger and better things. lol

I worked with them on a few events years ago and the management was absolutely worthless. Promised over and over to do all kinds of stuff to help out and never did anything. It is a nice track if you are just showing up to race but I would never put myself in the position to have to deal with them on any higher level again.

-Tim

TheJDMan
09-29-2012, 06:33 PM
^Now that you mention it, the last time I drag raced at Englishtown NJ the track staff was less than pleasant. They ranged from rude to idiotic. I would drag race there again but its not where I'd like to see an ASCS event go.

My wife and I moved from Kansas to NJ in the late 80's while she finished her post doctorate at Rutgers. We lived there 2.5 years and that attitude pretty well describes the majority of people we met in that state.

NJSPEEDER
09-30-2012, 03:54 PM
One thing we all know and outsiders quickly learn, New Jersey isn't a place as much as an attitude. lol

aps63
10-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Was unable to make the last RTTS because my car wasn't ready.
But now, I'm down for anything you guy's put together.
Count me in.

lvrpool32
10-10-2012, 06:47 AM
New track in New York http://www.nysafetytrack.com

Just spoke to Greg (the owner) and he is taking bookings for 2013, and contrary to some reports, they are doing cars and bikes. He claims to be cheaper than NJMP. And only 2 hours from NY

GNon18s
10-10-2012, 04:41 PM
^That looks cool!

vette427-sbc
10-10-2012, 05:01 PM
That does look very cool! 4 hours from central NJ is pushing it but if thats where the new RTTS is, then Ill be there!

Not sure how different the weather is that far north, but I would think a location like that would be better suited for late april or may... the cold is no fun

TheJDMan
10-10-2012, 05:12 PM
I would be concerned about the lack of run off. Those trees look awful close to the track.

vette427-sbc
10-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I would be concerned about the lack of run off. Those trees look awful close to the track.

Kind of ironic for a track called the "safety track"

lvrpool32
10-11-2012, 04:11 AM
I guess RTTS could become Run To The Sticks................

68sixspeed
10-11-2012, 05:50 AM
I would be concerned about the lack of run off. Those trees look awful close to the track. I thought the same, and the open drainage ditch looked like trouble waiting to happen. The layout looks nice though, they just need to finish it- safety barriers, curbing etc.

lvrpool32
10-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Im going up to check out the track next Thursday, I'll provide feedback/photo's then.

Nick

sr73bu
10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
The Safety Track looks pretty cool, but its quite a distance away from where RTTS started.... Any one looking into Pocono? It seems like a more central location for guys that are traveling up from the South... I think Summit Point may even be closer from the central NJ area....

As long as we have something, count me in... even Englishtown looks fun, just add a chicane to slow down speeds near the wall... just treat it like a big autocross...

-Sean

aps63
10-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm with Sean, as long as we have something I will be there.

BonzoHansen
10-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Sean, at least the ny track looks like a nice ride!

sr73bu
10-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Sean, at least the ny track looks like a nice ride!

Very true Scott.... haha... Maybe Bill or someone from the ASCS can chime in and see what they have in mind for the Northeast....

Scott, lets see if we can get the state to close down rt539 and do an open road race though the Pine Barrens...lol, ok now i'm just talking crazy....

-Sean

Takid455
10-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Game for the NY venue

tommycomfort
10-18-2012, 06:04 AM
How about a Pennsylvania venue? A quick google search led me to Alpine Motorsports Club. Looked cool from the video.

"Alpine is located just 6-miles west of Wind Gap and PA Route 33 in Eldred Township, Monroe County, Pennsylvania"

sr73bu
10-18-2012, 09:02 AM
^ Alpine Motorsports Club looks Awesome! and its a great location..... is this place open yet?

btw: thanks for posting that Tom!

-Sean

lvrpool32
10-19-2012, 11:49 AM
So Dirk (Vanzuuk1), Ken (gsxrken) and myself took a trip up to NY Safety Track yesterday and had a blast, the manager/builder is a cool guy,a true motorsport enthusiast. We basically had the track to ourselves for 4 hours except for a couple of bike guys (cool guys to). We ran clockwise and anti-clockwise, the track is fun and the location is excellent. There's stil plenty of finishing work to be done, but they still plan on bieng ready for next May and we will deffinately be going back!

nicks67camaro
10-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm down its only ~3 hours away from me.

vanzuuk1
10-19-2012, 04:41 PM
The track layout was really nice, my favorite so far. Owner was a super nice guy.

sr73bu
10-19-2012, 07:57 PM
So Dirk (Vanzuuk1), Ken (gsxrken) and myself took a trip up to NY Safety Track yesterday and had a blast, the manager/builder is a cool guy,a true motorsport enthusiast. We basically had the track to ourselves for 4 hours except for a couple of bike guys (cool guys to). We ran clockwise and anti-clockwise, the track is fun and the location is excellent. There's stil plenty of finishing work to be done, but they still plan on bieng ready for next May and we will deffinately be going back!

Nice Party! haha.... looks and sounds like a great place to have Run to the Sticks...LOL! If we build a relationship with the owner and he understands what pro-touring is about, hopefully we can run a few events in the future there.... thanks for the feedback guys!

-Sean

tommycomfort
10-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Dang, the safety track is 13 hours instead of the 12 to Millville for us, but if it happens and our schedules align, we'd make the trek. A two day event would make it even more worthwhile.

NJSPEEDER
10-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I have been sending out emails to find out facility requirements, scheduling, and prices. I just sent another to Safety Track.

I have a lot of family up that way that I am actually planning to visit in the next few weeks so I asked if they would be around for a little tour. For those of you not familiar with that portion of the Southern Tier, the roads are figgin AWESOME!!!!

So far the bulk of the facilities I have been in touch with are really expensive or have all weekends scheduled already or both (unless you guys wanna do a Tuesday track day which I predict would draw rather poorly)

One thing I would like to do is start getting a gauge of who would be interested in an RTTS type weekend if we can put it together. I would also like to hear any suggestions or contact information for potential sponsors or vendors that may be interested in supporting such an event. If you are interested in attending and/or have a sponsor/vendor to suggest please shoot me a PM with your handle, name, and email address. I'm not asking anyone to commit to running their car, just want to know how many people would like to make the trip up to participate or spectate.

-Thanks
-Tim

68sixspeed
10-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Looks good to me! If anyone else is heading up and doesn't mind company, I'd love to check the place out too, would probably get a couple others too. 3 or 3-1/2hrs for me, not bad and the drive from my place to that area is really nice. -Dan

NJSPEEDER
10-21-2012, 03:29 PM
I'll keep beating the bushes for prices and scheduling. Everyone tell your friends that this is being worked on and see if we can get some real interest going.

-Tim

SicMonte
10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
You all want me to look into a weekend at Summit Point Raceway? That is my "home" track and I can easily talk to some people.

NJSPEEDER
10-21-2012, 10:27 PM
I am awaiting an email reply with available dates from Summit currently.

-Tim

lvrpool32
10-22-2012, 03:39 AM
I'm deffinately in (as I think are Dirk (Vanzuuk1) and Ken (gsxrken)), but I think 5 hrs is my limit, VIR and Summit Point are a treck from Ct, esepcially as there are a number of option's within the 5 hr range for us (Pocono, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Safety Track). The North East is a big area, it might be an idea to consider splitting the area in half.

sr73bu
10-22-2012, 08:59 AM
I have been sending out emails to find out facility requirements, scheduling, and prices. I just sent another to Safety Track.

I have a lot of family up that way that I am actually planning to visit in the next few weeks so I asked if they would be around for a little tour. For those of you not familiar with that portion of the Southern Tier, the roads are figgin AWESOME!!!!

So far the bulk of the facilities I have been in touch with are really expensive or have all weekends scheduled already or both (unless you guys wanna do a Tuesday track day which I predict would draw rather poorly)

One thing I would like to do is start getting a gauge of who would be interested in an RTTS type weekend if we can put it together. I would also like to hear any suggestions or contact information for potential sponsors or vendors that may be interested in supporting such an event. If you are interested in attending and/or have a sponsor/vendor to suggest please shoot me a PM with your handle, name, and email address. I'm not asking anyone to commit to running their car, just want to know how many people would like to make the trip up to participate or spectate.

-Thanks
-Tim

Thanks Tim!

Anyone in contact will Bill Howell?

I know ASCS wants to host somthing out here, not sure if he could get a better price based on his sponsors/history of successful events...

-Sean

NJSPEEDER
10-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I have been talking to Bill and a few others regarding things. From where we stand right now I expect it to be 2 or 3 weeks until I will be able to start locking things in or making any announcements.

The best thing I can ask everyone to do is starting talking up having an event to your friends. I know nothing is locked in, but the interest can start with just telling them how much fun this year was. As soon as the tumblers start falling into place I will let everyone know.

For now, please keep posting your interests and if anyone has any business contacts or suggestions of companies that may be interested in sponsoring shoot me the contact info. Any business that is interested in getting some promotion will do, so please don't just think about automotive firms.

-Tim

gsxrken
10-24-2012, 08:30 AM
As Nick said, we had a great time at the NY Safety Track. Unlike NJMP Lightning and Lime Rock, or any Pocono layout, it is not 95% RH turns with a left hand turn thrown in. Which gets boring and punishes your tires in one direction only. Beside Monticello Motor Club, which is like Augusta National Golf where they play the Masters and arrest you if you trespass on their hallowed grounds, it is the best layout within 10 hours of NYC. They still have some work to do in terms of clearing trees, building runoff sandpits, barriers, and paddock facilities, but they will get there. I'll be back routinely whether this RTTS group gets it together again or not.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

One other suggestion that is done on some other boards for getting the word out for track events- bump an older, related thread. Many people get an email from any thread they are subscribed to, regardless of how old it is. So a strategic bump of RTTS 1 and RTTS 2 threads would ping everyone who had gone to either of those events, even if (quite likely) they are not following this one.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/10/2012_10_24_12_23-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/10/2012_10_24_12_22-1.jpg

68sixspeed
10-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Looks awesome guys. Speaking of the hallowed ground of Monitcello which I was lucky enough to run a 5 or 6 times when they were more open to the normal folks... has anyone talked to them? I was surprised to see they had a NAARA race, time trials, and driving school event there this year. -Dan

NJSPEEDER
10-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I have been in touch with Monticello, file them under very nice people but extremely price restrictive.

lvrpool32
10-25-2012, 08:26 AM
One other cool thing about NYST, it's about 25 minutes from Cooperstown...so we can have the first Pro-Touring cruise to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Actually Pro Touring cars would fit right in with MLB, I mean they are ageing stars using modern performance enhancements to perform better than they ever should have!

68sixspeed
10-25-2012, 04:45 PM
NYST... Passing zone possibilities? Front stretch and maybe by the keyhole corners short straight or does the layout allow anything else?

Ps, Nick, my car has seen many performance enhancers... Is there a pee test? Take a bit from the dry sump tank?

BonzoHansen
10-25-2012, 04:57 PM
One other cool thing about NYST, it's about 25 minutes from Cooperstown...so we can have the first Pro-Touring cruise to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Actually Pro Touring cars would fit right in with MLB, I mean they are ageing stars using modern performance enhancements to perform better than they ever should have!

you just made it more interesting for me

Run to the hall?

66larkgs
10-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Lmfao! What a great comment

NJSPEEDER
10-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote of the year!!!

SicMonte
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
That area for sure will be covered in snow in April. lol

lvrpool32
10-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Track doesn't open officially until May
A couple of laps from last week
http://youtu.be/fiF-K6SI4Dw

Bill Howell
11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
ok guys, visiting this one last time. Now is the time to let me know if you have other people or sponsors that want to be involved in an event. I would like to move the event to a bit later so it will be warmer. I have to have turnout though to even consider it.
If you want to have an event, now is the time to step it up.

lvrpool32
11-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm in!

NJSPEEDER
11-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Bill, you have a PM.

Takid455
11-06-2012, 08:40 AM
IN for a track event

nicks67camaro
11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm in.

BonzoHansen
11-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Bill I'd love to tell you I'm in but w/o a date I can't. Kind of catch 22. I have a better chance of telling you I'll be at RTTH next year lol.

Bill Howell
11-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks Guys. It looks like NJMP is just out. They only have one date that works for them other than Easter weekend and that other date doesn't fit into ASCS schedule. So, track suggestions needed, preferably tracks you guys have been to that know what we are looking for.

NJSPEEDER
11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Of the tracks I got feedback from Safety Track in NY seems to be the most open to hosting an event. http://www.nysafetytrack.com/

Watkins Glen is a great facility and from the sounds of it would have some open dates but many have warned that the speeds may be a bit high for an enthusiastic rookie.
Pocono is a very good facility, lots of possible configuration, and all the space that you could ever want to play.
Limerock takes us a little further north, everyone seems to like it (never been there myself) and the location would offer more direct access to NYC and New England fans.

-Tim

lvrpool32
11-07-2012, 04:37 AM
The problem with Limerock is that it has a strict noise limit (89db I believe), and outside of the big race weekends (ALMS, Grand-AM etc etc)they only have 4 unmuffled "test and tune" events a year. So my guess is many pro-touring cars would not pass the noise check.

Nick

sr73bu
11-07-2012, 05:52 AM
I'm in! I think both th safety track and pocono would be great, but pocono may be a little closer for guys down south. Either way, count me in...and as many friends as I can get!

-sean

SSninja
11-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Just pick a date and a place, and I'll try my hardest to be there!

Had a blast shooting photos at the last event, and I'm dying to bring my car for 2013.

SicMonte
11-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Kim and I will be there....

vette427-sbc
11-07-2012, 06:31 PM
In...

NJSPEEDER
11-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Safety Track would give us two really cool places to take a cruise to, Cooperstown as mentioned previously or Norwich which is a small town more towards Binghampton. Norwich is home to the Northeast Classic Car Museum ( http://www.classiccarmuseum.org/ )and has a really cool collection of vintage stuff you aren't likely to see anywhere else. My mom is from near Norwich and I know a lot of the people in that area so if we wanted to go that route I am sure something fun could be arranged.

-Tim

lvrpool32
11-08-2012, 04:31 AM
Greg at NYST is a cool guy to. Also mention there are some cool cruising roads to and from this place.

tommycomfort
11-08-2012, 05:30 AM
We're in depending on date and what is offered. Two day events make justifying a long trip easier.

Takid455
11-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Weekend after the 4th and last weekend in Augusta are my 2 black out weekends that I know of so far. Good other wise

sr73bu
11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I've got two more guys with PT cars in for this event.

-Sean

NJSPEEDER
11-08-2012, 07:01 PM
We have a few members of the NJFBOA interested pending the date.

I will be there one way or another, no idea what I will be driving, but I will be there.

-Tim

aps63
11-09-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm in too.

68sixspeed
11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
In, also should be able to get 2-4 others to come if it is LRP or NYST. -Dan

gsxrken
11-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Bill Howell- could you chime in with a disposition on another RTTS event? If you're out, and we all respect the economics behind that decision if that's the case, holler so we can get motivated up here without stepping on any toes. With every passing day, it's getting harder to get a reasonable date at any of the tracks mentioned. I think everyone is hoping your group can pull it off, but the worst case would be if we hold out for that for too long and then wind up missing our own window to do something.

sr73bu
11-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Bill Howell- could you chime in with a disposition on another RTTS event? If you're out, and we all respect the economics behind that decision if that's the case, holler so we can get motivated up here without stepping on any toes. With every passing day, it's getting harder to get a reasonable date at any of the tracks mentioned. I think everyone is hoping your group can pull it off, but the worst case would be if we hold out for that for too long and then wind up missing our own window to do something.

Any word or updates on this event???

If ASCS can't host something maybe a few of us can meet up or get on a conference call to do some planning... I can do some design work (flyers, logos, advertising..etc..) if need be...

-Sean

TheJDMan
11-29-2012, 04:58 PM
I would make any of the VA tracks and I can streach the trip to Pocono which is about 5 hours but any further north would be a non-starter for me.

vette427-sbc
12-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Bump... Any headway? Id hate to see a small turnout because of short notice or lack of available dates

lvrpool32
12-04-2012, 05:53 AM
I'm finishing up a deal with Greg at NYST for a shared day with one of their motorcyle training courses (5 hours track time for us) in May. Trying to get it at a price that will work for 16 - 18 cars. I have 8 guys alreayd onboard, will post here when the deal is finalised and I have prices.
Nick

sr73bu
12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Can someone from the ASCS chime in? We just need to confirm that our area wont have an official event...

Thanks,

Sean

Bill Howell
12-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Guys, we have tried, worked, bargained, begged, and any other verb you can add and it just isn't going to happen in 2013. Prices are just too high for a one day event at NJMP and no decent dates left. Should we find somewhere that is reasonable, we will be back, and if someone else does something, we will do all we can to support their event, but we are out for 2013.

SicMonte
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
This is rather upsetting. Goodguys gives our region no love and now this. I understand the cost's and everything but this sucks.

Bill Howell
12-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I fully understand Doug, but as you pointed out, even Goodguys can't make it work in that area. If they can't our little company certainly can't. It has to make business sense to do it. Having lost money two years in a row, I just can't do it anymore.

sr73bu
12-11-2012, 07:53 AM
I fully understand Doug, but as you pointed out, even Goodguys can't make it work in that area. If they can't our little company certainly can't. It has to make business sense to do it. Having lost money two years in a row, I just can't do it anymore.

Thanks for trying.... its a shame that this area is so expensive... but after two years of losing money I really can't blame u Bill... hopefully we can set up some dates at existing events, like autocross's that s few pt guys could come out to and have fun. ... I just hate being the only muscle car at the local autocross...haha

SSninja
12-13-2012, 05:59 AM
I've been thinking the last few days about ways to have a "takeover" of local autocross events with pro-touring cars.

It's too bad that most of you guys are so far away from New England, as there's a bunch of Autocross events in MA that I'm hoping to attend this coming year.

LUV2XLR8
12-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Hell i'll throw in Erie, PA... we just built "The Bayfront Convention Center"...which is right on the bay of lake Erie.... tons of parking and plenty of room indoors of the convention center for suppliers... plus a hotel right next door connected with a sky walk...

IMPREZvWRX
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks for trying.... its a shame that this area is so expensive... but after two years of losing money I really can't blame u Bill... hopefully we can set up some dates at existing events, like autocross's that s few pt guys could come out to and have fun. ... I just hate being the only muscle car at the local autocross...haha

It's a shame RTTS isn't happening as it's my favorite event of the year. Feel free to invade any of our events. They're just outside of AC, so you can cruise to the casinos afterward. http://www.sjr-scca.org/solo.html

BonzoHansen
03-07-2013, 05:55 PM
It's a shame RTTS isn't happening as it's my favorite event of the year. Feel free to invade any of our events. They're just outside of AC, so you can cruise to the casinos afterward. http://www.sjr-scca.org/solo.html

were you the guys that helped us last year? you guys did great. I wish i could make the time to come down to your events. another few years and baseball is over....

vette427-sbc
03-09-2013, 07:25 AM
were you the guys that helped us last year? you guys did great. I wish i could make the time to come down to your events. another few years and baseball is over....

Yes... And assuming the course layout is the same as it was last time I was out at Bader Field with them, it is bigger and faster than the RTTS layout at NJMP. Always have a great time at their events!

Do we just show up and register or do we have to pre register somewhere?

BonzoHansen
03-09-2013, 08:07 AM
NASA dates at NJMSP

http://www.nasane.com/events.html

March 30 -- Lime Rock Park, CT – HPDE only
April 19 -21 -- NJMP Lightning Course
April 29 - 30 -- Watkins Glen, NY HPDE ONLY
May 17– 19 -- NJMP Lightning course
May 17– 19 -- NJMP Thunderbolt course
June 7 -- LimeRock Park CT HPDE Advanced Only
June 21 -23 -- NJMP Thunderbolt (tentative)
July 12 - 14 -- Pocono Long Courses
Aug. 2 – 4 -- NJMP Lightning Course
Aug. 23 -- Lime Rock Park, CT – HPDE only
Sept. 5 - 8 -- NASA Natl. Championships – Miller in Utah
Sept. 27 -29 -- Watkins Glen, NY
Oct. 25 - 27 -- NJMP Thunderbolt

e90 87ss
03-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Wow, I was looking forward to this event, this was my favorite track day by far. I was in the silver BMW... Anyways I would like to see this event happen again, I thought it was well organized and incredibly fun. If you guys plan on holding the event in the future, but need more registrants for the event and don't mind sharing the track with a bunch of German cars I can help. We usually run with PCA Shattenbaum or BMW CCA, but I would easily be able to convince people to sign up since we usually fight over spots when we sign up on motorsportreg.com I'm mostly on the 4th gen MCSS forum under "jaywos" but PM me on this site if you guys decide to compromise on it not being a mostly pro touring event in the future.

IMPREZvWRX
03-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Yes... And assuming the course layout is the same as it was last time I was out at Bader Field with them, it is bigger and faster than the RTTS layout at NJMP. Always have a great time at their events!

Do we just show up and register or do we have to pre register somewhere?
Yes, that's us! The course layout varies each event, but one thing that stays the same is the speed.

Online registration is encouraged, and as soon as it's up, I'll post it here. If you can't register online, we do accept on-site entries. The course size is dependent on attendance (we need to cover the course with workers), so a strong registration number gets a bigger course.

IMPREZvWRX
03-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Registration for autox event #1 is up. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away!

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/calendar_main.php?viewevent=11591&selectclubid=15

IMPREZvWRX
06-18-2013, 01:40 PM
If you want to autox with SJR SCCA this weekend, Sunday's forecast: 78 and mostly sunny!

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/calendar_main.php?viewevent=11593&selectclubid=15