PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in the sponsors participation at Colorado Nationals

PT Sportwagon
08-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I am disappointed in the participation of the Good Guys sponsors at the Colorado nationals. I realize that it takes $$$ to attend these events but the companies where the ones who committed to be a sponsor of Good Guys events. I haven't been to other events so I can only voice my opinion on the Colorado Nationals. In the few years I have been attending. The oldest "Official sponsor",since 1999 PPG have been at every one. The second oldest, Since 2001, Optima I have never seen. Don't they want to sell batteries in the Rocky Mtn area, or do they not perform in below zero conditions. Another older sponsor, since 1994, Vintage Air I have never seen either. Do they not think people up north needs A/C? The two oldest sponsors, BFG, and Goodyear have also not been seen.

I think what really gets me, is that they announce that by going to the Detroit Speed and Engineering booth and get a ride at the Autocross in one of there demo cars. While I would love too, yet. Detroit Speed has not showed yet. Same with Ride Tech, a no show.
Flowmaster, Speedway motors, and Chassisworks have been there. Along with Classic Instruments, Jet-Hot, Race Deck and Meguiar's have also made an appearance.

Tim

dontlifttoshift
08-04-2012, 05:56 PM
It simple math. How many cars attend that show?

Denvervet
08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
1500 ish cars . Quite a few from out of state making the trip. Shamefully few vendors unless you count the lemonade and funnel cake stands. Some really nice cars. Self fulfilling prophecy ...few vendors and small crowds....no duh. Which came first chicken or the egg?

PT Sportwagon
08-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Numbers shouldn't really matter. The companies chose to be a sponsor Good Guys. No matter what the numbers. Like I said I do understand about the $$$$$.I bet the contract probably doesn't say excluding XXXX show. It is sponsoring Good Guys period. not picking and choosing.

RobNoLimit
08-05-2012, 08:45 PM
PT, back when the show was at Pikes Peak raceway, I used to show up as a vendor. I towed 1200 miles, paid for the fuel, rooms, food and time. Then I paid $800 to GoodGuys for the space, flew in help staff, and paid them. Mostly we were creating future sales. Two things stopped my continued support of the Colorado Nationals. 1. Lack of cultivated sales, yes, we can track our sales and shipments, and that area never paid off. 2. No sales at the show. Thats a simple one to figure out. It's a mistake to complain about those who don't show up to 'support' this show. Simply spend your money in 'support' of those who do. Even if it's just buying a shirt or hat. Believe me, the word will spread.

ndians68
08-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Assuming the event was this weekend... they are all at the street rod nationals, which makes scence does it not? 1500 cars and decent size crowds vs. over 9000 cars, a fair grounds full of people, and lots of people looking to buy parts... it is all in timing and parts demand in that area, and how much you can afford to have out in one weekend, while still running normal business hours.

Northeast Rod Run
08-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Numbers shouldn't really matter. The companies chose to be a sponsor Good Guys. No matter what the numbers.Numbers should be the #1 most important thing in deciding where vendors show up.

If you were trying to sell a product would you rather go to some place with 1000 potential customers, or would you rather wait and show up at a show that will have 7000 potential customers? Seems pretty easy to figure that one out. It's all about the numbers

It sounds like you were a bit upset, because you planned on spending a lot of money will all the vendors that didn't show up?

PT Sportwagon
08-08-2012, 11:04 AM
OK, then Why does PPG show up every year, and Chassis works??? Before I spend my limited hard earned cash, I want to see the product first hand, See the workmanship, talk to the company people. in Detroit Speeds case, see how the product performs, Etc. I can read about it and see pictures but nothing beats hands on. period. I unlike others do not have disposable income and want the best, high quality product, that performs the way I want.
I have seen the poor performance of Optima and the crappy dealer service ( on a under warranty battery) I am wanting to see what the manufacturer says about it first hand. Why should I spend $200 on a battery that craps out in less than a year with the companies dealer not warranting it. When I can spend over half and have the battery last 9 years and 3 vehicles( and not really need replacing)

Rob, PPIR is in the middle of nowhere. with not so much as a gas station with in 5 miles. I wouldn't drive down there for a show. I know a lot of Northern CO, Wyoming people wouldn't either. It is called location. Laramier County fairgrounds, there current location is 5 miles from Loveland and 10( maybe) from Ft. Collins. Close to Denver metro area. numerous places for lodging, fuel and food close by. The host hotel is even adjoining the venue.

dontlifttoshift
08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Believe me I understand. Goodguys couldn't keep an event in the great lakes region. Barrien Springs MI, Waukesha WI, Madison WI, (Madison was a great venue but there were no vendors) and then Joliet. There is a large number of cars here in this area and yo think it would support a show, it did not.

I spent 9 month in Laramie. It's quiet there. That's not a bad thing but it is not conducive to selling parts and selling parts is what makes the trip worthwhile. And let's be honest, the number of car enthusiasts is small compared to other areas.

Look at your own thread. It has been running for four months now and there are 10 replies to support a Rocky Mountain event. 2 of them are from Arizona.

Optima Bill
08-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I have seen the poor performance of Optima and the crappy dealer service ( on a under warranty battery) I am wanting to see what the manufacturer says about it first hand. Why should I spend $200 on a battery that craps out in less than a year with the companies dealer not warranting it. When I can spend over half and have the battery last 9 years and 3 vehicles( and not really need replacing)

Maybe I can help you with that. Yes, this is Bill Howell, but as Optima Bill I change hats and assist our customers with issues they are having or had. Please tell me more. What size battery, car it was in, age, when you bought it, etc. What happened to you that you considered bad service?

As for vendors and GoodGuys, as I understand it, everyone has a different agreement with GGs and pay for the shows that want to attend. Like it or not, it is about dollars and numbers. If it doesn't make fiscal sense for a vendor to attend then they skip that event. Like Rob said, no one pays his bills except him and he has to see results or has to change his strategy if he wants to make money.

Anyway, let me know about your battery issue. We are as close as your computer.
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

66larkgs
08-15-2012, 08:04 PM
i look at it this way.. could be worse and have no vendors.. live northeast where i am and you would be pretty excitied if you got to meet one vendor. We have rtts and thats about it(6 hours away).. we do have a car show every other thurs at gillett stadium(1500 cars)(hour away).. i understand your frustration but my only means of meeting these vendors is to take a long haul to a show they will be at. Currently i am just like you and tring to build a high quality car on a blue collar budget and due to a busy scheledule i wont be able to make an event till next summer.

Frozen glass and a SAM ADAMS all takes the edge out..

Jim Nilsen
08-16-2012, 01:04 PM
i look at it this way.. could be worse and have no vendors.. live northeast where i am and you would be pretty excitied if you got to meet one vendor. We have rtts and thats about it(6 hours away).. we do have a car show every other thurs at gillett stadium(1500 cars)(hour away).. i understand your frustration but my only means of meeting these vendors is to take a long haul to a show they will be at. Currently i am just like you and tring to build a high quality car on a blue collar budget and due to a busy scheledule i wont be able to make an event till next summer.
Frozen glass and a SAM ADAMS all takes the edge out..

Ahhhhh Yes a cold Sam Adams would really hit the spot, especially after the auto X event. Think maybe we should get them to be a sponsor at the event and get rid of the Lite beers!!!