PDA

View Full Version : Transmission question for Jody

streetk14
07-24-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm aiming this question towards Jody because he is going with a 4L80E in his twin turbo project. Just wondering, why did you choose to go with a 4 speed Auto when most top-end cars these days are being built with 6 speed manuals? Also, did you run into any installation problems? I've heard they are a tight fit in 1st gens. I have been seriously considering replaced the TKO in my '68 Camaro with a 4L80E and Shrifter. I really like the idea of being able to shift gears at full throttle with both hands on the wheel, and that's a good thing when you have a high horsepower car. I am more than happy to hear everyone's opinion on this subject. Thanks,
Andy

SSMOORE
07-24-2005, 02:58 PM
I had a 4l80e mounted in my car then change my mind and went to a tko600. It was tight but it fit with no mods. To make this work you would need a crossmember and a slip yoke drive shaft. also a computer to run it.

steve

zbugger
07-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I think he said that it makes it easier to control the car with the auto than with the manual. You don't have to worry about shifting like you would. That and he just thought the Shrifter was too cool to pass up. I know I am most likely wrong, but oh well. Let him answer for himself.

camcojb
07-25-2005, 12:00 PM
I think he said that it makes it easier to control the car with the auto than with the manual. You don't have to worry about shifting like you would. That and he just thought the Shrifter was too cool to pass up. I know I am most likely wrong, but oh well. Let him answer for himself.

Allen pretty well has it. I had the complete T56 setup with the upgrades but really wanted to use the Shrifter. Plus I love the control you have with the electronic trannies as far as when they shift, downshift, how hard, etc. The other thing is we get a lot of heavy traffic and my last two manual trans cars were a pain when stuck in it.

I've got plenty of power to go as fast as I'll want to go. I like being able to upshift/downshift on a course without letting go of the wheel. Plus I'm using a very trick traction control system so this car should be the funnest I've had by far. Big power and still will hook up.

Jody

Steve Chryssos
07-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Good answer!! :icon996:

Andy,
Thank you for your interest. Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.
/Steevo

Nutsy
07-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Plus I'm using a very trick traction control system so this car should be the funnest I've had by far. Big power and still will hook up.

Jody

What system is that?

Trev

zbugger
07-25-2005, 07:14 PM
His weenie foot.

streetk14
07-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Jody. Those are pretty much the same reasons that I've been looking at switching over. I have a love/hate relationship with my transmission. Sometimes there is nothing better than grabbing a gear, other times I dread pushing in the clutch pedal. The paddle shifter really is too cool to pass up, and the automatic shift control that can be fine-tuned sounds great. I also think that an auto makes for a more consistant, easier to drive car. I fix BMW's for a living, and get to drive SMG equipped M3s all the time. I love using the paddles, and they should be even more fun in my car. Thanks again,
Andy