PDA

View Full Version : 357 SBC...getting no spark..

musclecarmatt
07-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey guys...i having problem with getting no spark to the plugs..it turns over fine but not getting fire in the cylinders....I have a HEI distributor...already swapped in my spare HEI coil and also another module to see if could be either one but made no difference.........going to check see if i getting 12 V going to the distributor.....could be the ignition switch?

Before it quit......I had it running for a minute and i went to give a quick rev it sputtered and just died.......this is following a similar symptom last saturday going down the highway and it sputtered and almost quit for second then went back to running good.....thought it was some trash or something in the carb but must have a ignition problem somewhere?

Any ideas?

Matt

MrQuick
07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Hey guys...i having problem with getting no spark to the plugs..it turns over fine but not getting fire in the cylinders....I have a HEI distributor...already swapped in my spare HEI coil and also another module to see if could be either one but made no difference.........going to check see if i getting 12 V going to the distributor.....could be the ignition switch?

Before it quit......I had it running for a minute and i went to give a quick rev it sputtered and just died.......this is following a similar symptom last saturday going down the highway and it sputtered and almost quit for second then went back to running good.....thought it was some trash or something in the carb but must have a ignition problem somewhere?

Any ideas?

Matt

If you have ruled out fuel, don't forget the pick up coil in the distributor. Make sure its not saturated with oil and doesn't look like its deteriorating .

Chevelle598bb
07-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Yes check the pick up coil with a voltmeter for function. If the capacitor (the plastic harness the control module plugs into) is original then replace it. They are about 10 bucks. I had one go out before and it caused the control modules to over heat. Finally figured it out after three modules.

Blown73
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Make sure your connections (3 point HEI connection) is not grounding out onto itself.

dontlifttoshift
07-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I saw a bad tach do this once.....disconnect tach wire and see if it runs.

Usually running and then quitting is fuel not spark. Have you confirmed no spark at the plugs?

sgernon
07-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I would run a 10 guage jumper wire from the battery to the distributor so you can be sure if the wiring of the car is the issue or not. I've always been told HEI needs a solid 12volts to work correct so I typically use 10 gauge wire for power and a relay off of the ignition switch to make sure there are no issues.

musclecarmatt
07-21-2012, 07:49 AM
went to try crank the camaro this morning after not messing with it friday....it started right up then as when give it some rpm's it start sputtering and died again......turned it over couple more times and tried to fire then dies......about check all my wires and grounds.....

sounding more like in the distributor....of course this a cheap hei i bought off ebay 5 years ago not a true Acdelco.....probably explains itself right there...ugh