PDA

View Full Version : Goodguys Pleasanton

bret
05-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Anyone going to the Goodguys show in Pleasanton this weekend? We'll be there doing suspension evaluations at our booth and running our black 68 Camaro at the autocross. Anyone want a ride?

ROBS6T8
05-31-2012, 03:32 PM
We were going then I decided to stay home and work on Orangasm since Hot August Nights is around the corner. Now this offer is really tempting! :) If we do end up going, I will definitely take you up on the ride. Would like to check out your products more closely anyways. Will be going with your lower control arms and 4 link in the future... thanks to Brit!!
What about Hot August Nights? Ever think of attending that show?
I know there will be a few guys from Team Camaro there during the weekend.

SLO_Z28
05-31-2012, 03:38 PM
I'll be there in the camaro at the autocross. For the life of me I cant remember where a gas station is near the fairgrounds...

mpozzi
05-31-2012, 05:29 PM
James ... exit Bernal off of 680 and turn right at the light. At the next intersection, turn right again and there's a Shell station. Can't miss it ...

Mary P.

Black93GT
06-01-2012, 05:56 AM
We were going then I decided to stay home and work on Orangasm.
I swear every weekend is that same dilemma... do X, Y and Z or get some progress on the car.

Bret, I'll jump on that grenade and take you up on the offer of a ride. haha I'm looking forward to seeing how my 67 will possibly handle when I get everything bolted on.

SLO_Z28
06-03-2012, 06:46 AM
I don't think more BS could have happened on this trip. After everything that went wrong on this trip I end it by destroying ANOTHER shock. Somehow I wrangled the car around the track undampened for a clean run of 33.0XX. The course was as frustrating as the car, I think I've had my fill of going in super duper tight slurry seal 10 feet from trees, light standards, and k-rails on street tires...

67cougnut
06-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah I do think that Goodguys needs to put the course back out in the lot of the swap meet so folks can "let it hang" more! but for spectating it sure is nice to be in the shade!

67cougnut
06-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Anyone going to the Goodguys show in Pleasanton this weekend? We'll be there doing suspension evaluations at our booth and running our black 68 Camaro at the autocross. Anyone want a ride?

When Is the mustang going to make it to pleasanton?

DartorDemon
06-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't think more BS could have happened on this trip. After everything that went wrong on this trip I end it by destroying ANOTHER shock. Somehow I wrangled the car around the track undampened for a clean run of 33.0XX. The course was as frustrating as the car, I think I've had my fill of going in super duper tight slurry seal 10 feet from trees, light standards, and k-rails on street tires...

So that's why i couldnt find your car.

Those trees made me a little glad that my car is broke and couldnt make it. Not to mention, every time someone spun out, it looked like they might hit the K-rails.

mpozzi
06-03-2012, 04:42 PM
DoD ... you must have been watching one of my runs today as I put the azz-end of the Camaro pretty close to one of those concrete walls.

Hope someone posts a vid of it too.

Mary Pozzi

sgernon
06-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Yesterday was my first time at Pleasanton and I don't know how everyone was so agressive on that course. I took a ride through it and it was super bumpy. The bumps combined with the concrete barriers was too much for me to even think about running my car there. Well...that and the fact that I don't have near the skills 90% of the drivers there had. Who ended up with the fastest time of the wekend?

DartorDemon
06-03-2012, 08:44 PM
DoD ... you must have been watching one of my runs today as I put the azz-end of the Camaro pretty close to one of those concrete walls.

Hope someone posts a vid of it too.

Mary Pozzi

haha, yeah, i showed up just before that run and watched until the winners were announced. I happened to be standing near that particular barrier too. Although I think the No Limit "hellboy" C10 had to be the closest call, I really thought he was gonna touch the wall.

I'm definitely gonna have my car out there next time around but, im get some better brakes. It seems to come in handy there. lol

SLO_Z28
06-03-2012, 08:54 PM
So that's why i couldnt find your car.

Yeah, I could have fixed my car but the amount of hassle the people running the show gave us was astounding, I'm done with good guys.

DartorDemon
06-03-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm surprised they would hassle anyone on the autocross. I would think its a big, if not the biggest attraction for the general public.

I literally came for the autocross and a quick trip through the swap meet. Otherwise there is nothing there of interest, just old cars sitting stagnant

lt1chevelle
06-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah I do think that Goodguys needs to put the course back out in the lot of the swap meet so folks can "let it hang" more! but for spectating it sure is nice to be in the shade!
i dont understand why the quarter midget cars had that big wide open area out by the swap meet, i think if they had it out there and away from all the trees and k rails a lot more ppl would enter in it.

Yeah, I could have fixed my car but the amount of hassle the people running the show gave us was astounding, I'm done with good guys.
i think a lot of ppl are done with GG there was not that many vendors in the buildings and there was a lot of room in the swap meet area and the fact its 5 bucks to park and 17 for admission....

DartorDemon
06-03-2012, 10:27 PM
It was 8 bucks today to park.

67cougnut
06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
yeah I paid $8 to park and used the PT coupon for $3 off to get in.I was there with some friends who were also looking for particular vendors and nobody was around!

class67
06-04-2012, 06:41 AM
March is generally the largest show for the vendors, I think. Right now there are a few other things going on around the country closer to them (the vendors) that are going on, like the power tour. General attendance was down ( I would say) due to this being the end of the school year and alot of 8th grade and HS graduations this weekend. That is my take on it anyway. Show up in August to the West Coast Nationals and I think it will be much different.

class67
06-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Although, I do agree completely about the Auto X! they need a larger space, it is entirely to small where they have it and the hazards are to great for me to participate (risk is to high). I have personally witnessed 3 cars hitting the k rail out there, one of them being the Good Guys give away car a few years ago...lol

buickfunnycar.com
06-04-2012, 07:12 AM
I have personally witnessed 3 cars hitting the k rail out there, one of them being the Good Guys give away car a few years ago...lol

I remember that too...good 'ol hydroboost! :hammer:

67cougnut
06-04-2012, 07:16 AM
How good is the august show? As I remember it, it was all cars 60 and below. I had heard it was either last year, or the year before they started to allow muscle car stuff in there.

Danny72
06-04-2012, 07:29 AM
I only had a problem with not knowing where the registration building is and how long it took to get through the cars. It as my first time ever doing autocross in my El Camino so I'm not complaining. I had lots of fun. It just sucks that i left early on saturday so i couldn't get more practice in. I'm definitely doing it again.

SLO_Z28
06-04-2012, 07:57 AM
It was 8 bucks today to park.

It was $16 for me, and I had to argue to not have to pay it twice. I had issues with my battery being dead (among other things) and Optima was absent (because of their other show where they are the marque vendor im sure), and no one in the entire place had a battery for sale. So I had to go get my truck, that was at least 1.2 miles away from where I parked, and take off and go get a battery. I secured permission from someone working the gate to leave and come back in. When I came back the person that gave me permission to re-enter wasn't there and the other people working the gate wanted to charge me $16, again! I had to argue for a few minutes before I was even let back in. After all that I huff a heavy battery back another mile from where we had to park in BFE all the way to the autocross just in time for one of the guys working the autocross to be a complete dickhead to me. He rides up and almost hits me and yells, "you get a battery yet?" ... as I was standing there with an obviously brand new battery, then says "well that damn thing better run, cause I got a tow strap and if you don't run im gonna tow your ass outta here!". This was my second run in with this guy being a ****, and I was stupid enough to not pay attention to what I packed so I was wearing a shirt from work so I couldn't really be a **** like I normally would(one of my bosses is on this forum), I was extra nice to him in the morning while he was a complete **** to me and at least 5 other participants.

The online reg wouldn't work, so it was $60 to enter the show. They wouldn't let my dad in because I was at registration (that had a massively long line) and he didn't come in with me, so after my Dad (who was nice enough to park my truck and trailer) walked all the way from where it was parked to the gate they made him pay to enter. My dad has gout and arthritis very bad, so its not easy for him to walk.

The thing that really scared me with the autocross was that it was super slick, and I was pushing along the turn farthest from the announcer, and there was little 3-5 year old kids not but 25 feet from me with nothing but a chain link fence between us and them, and they were right up against the fence. The pits was filled with little kids too, I couldn't help but feel like I was going to run one over when trying to creep my way to the course. Hard to go fast when you're that gun shy about running over someone.

mpozzi
06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
I only had a problem with not knowing where the registration building is and how long it took to get through the cars. It as my first time ever doing autocross in my El Camino so I'm not complaining. I had lots of fun. It just sucks that i left early on saturday so i couldn't get more practice in. I'm definitely doing it again.

The first couple of years that the autox was offered at Good Guys, they were lucky to get ten show exhibitors total (other than the sponsors/vendors) to get off their lawnchairs and run their junk. Now, this is the most popular thing going and the event staff sometimes has to turn people away. As for this last weekend, I felt they got the cars moving and up to the line pretty quickly and the event was run very efficiently. There have been some events (read: Columbus for the SMOTY runs) where getting through the lineup seemed like it took days ...

Yes, the event space allowed can be small. Yes, there are barriers, trees, and fencing but as I told a regular autocrosser and friend who was a passenger, "I don't really see this stuff during a run." And the final yes is you do not nor should not drive 10/10ths at one of the Good Guys autocrosses. For those that have Solo experience and have run those types of events, they are almost completely different than what's offered here. The only similarity is there's timers, pavement, and pylons. It's up to each driver to know their abilities behind the wheel and while many think they can drive like Mike Maier, Brian Hobaugh, and Brian Finch, to name just a few of the Good Guys hotshoes, trying to do so in the close confinement of a Good Guys course may get not so good results. Of all the incidents I've witnessed first-hand, almost all have been due to the driver running out of talent.

And your Elky looked great out there ...

Mary Pozzi

MrQuick
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Just be happy to know they at least put this on. Its a great way for novices to open up and try it. Just think of all the new drivers and enthusiasts that it brings out. I remember sitting next to a guy in the crowd and he said " wow, I can bring my car out there?" He grabbed his girl and ran off to the show area. To me that's another car off the show grass and out doing what it was meant to do.
The man is here, maybe he will read the comments and changes will come sooner to make it easier and safer for cars. Barriers are there to protect the crowd, not paint jobs. Insurance costs must be astronomical.

dontlifttoshift
06-04-2012, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=mpozzi;912077]The first couple of years that the autox was offered at Good Guys, they were lucky to get ten show exhibitors total (other than the sponsors/vendors) to get off their lawnchairs and run their junk.

I sure do miss that.

Yes, the event space allowed can be small. Yes, there are barriers, trees, and fencing but as I told a regular autocrosser and friend who was a passenger, "I don't really see this stuff during a run." And the final yes is you do not nor should not drive 10/10ths at one of the Good Guys autocrosses. For those that have Solo experience and have run those types of events, they are almost completely different than what's offered here. The only similarity is there's timers, pavement, and pylons.

It sucks leaving time on the track but when you gotta drive your junk home and that's 500 miles away it aint worth it.

73CPCAMARO
06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I thought this weekends event was a success for most. Obviously, James had a bad weekend due to many factors. The crowds were huge and they all seemed to have a good time. The stands in the shade were packed. The pits were full of spectators checking out the competition. It does get a bit crowded and hard to manuever thru to and from the track. That just shows the excitment and interest the autocross brings to the Goodguys show.

As far as the course goes, it is a bit scary to have the cement K rails so close to the course. I drive at about 8 - 9/10ths max. I always leave some time out there as it is not worth it to me to go all out and have something happen. I find it a challenge to drive as smooth as possible and get the best time possible while still under controll. Once in a while I will drift it a bit on the u turns where it is safe. I did not do that this event.

Here are a few videos of the event. Two I took on either side of the car and one I found someone took with their phone and posted on Youtube. The video I found is pretty cool from a non competitor.

http://youtu.be/yXgoXg4Nn0M

http://youtu.be/vq4i-acz6rI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw0CdGtHQoc

Rod
06-04-2012, 04:38 PM
the track was very tight this weekend, I enjoyed it, the crowds are always tough to drive thru, I always leave a little out there (8-9/10ths) thats the hardest thing push the car to win or place but stay in control, Marys right when Im running I dont see trees or k-rails, just 14 ft lanes with orange cones. Mary had one run where she scared the K-rail pushing it to get that last big run, on my last run I pushed it also knowing the time i set earlier with a cone and I scared the tree in the back of the course with my spin, we should be happy to have the vendor support and the growing fan support, it creates excitement in auto-x, and PT in general, it was a great event and it does take a lot of nerve to pilot our rigs at speeds to win everyone ran great all weekend, a few close calls, but all the rails went home undamaged

Here are the results for the 2012 Pleasanton Summer Get-Together Goodguys AutoCross....

Class Name Year Make Model Best Time Points
PRO Mike Maier 1966 Ford Mustang 29.044 11
PRO Mary Pozzi 1972 Chevy Camaro 29.515 10
PRO Bret Voelkel-Ride Tech 1968 Chevy Camaro 31.408 9

SM Brian Hobaugh 1970 Chevy Camaro 29.258 PRO
SM Aaron Ogawa 1970 Dodge Challenger 29.862
SM Deanna Marengo 1971 Chevy Camaro 30.613
SM Kyle Newman 1955 Chevy Belair 30.642
SM Keith Smith 1971 Chevy Camaro 30.762
SM Mike Gaines 2002 Chevy Corvette 30.963
SM Mark Frazier 1970 Chevy Camaro 30.994
SM Rodney Prouty 1968 Chevy Camaro 31.059
SM Rob Chandler 1968 Chevy Camaro 31.124
SM Todd Vierra 1956 Chevy Belair 31.408
SM Martha Gregory 2002 Chevy Camaro 31.521
SM Rob Patten 1969 Chevy Camaro 31.907
SM Steve Kavros 2010 Chevy Camaro 31.975
SM Rick Herger 1966 Pontiac GTO 32.265
SM Ben Elwess 1971 Chevy Nova 32.487
SM Henry Brown 2009 Chevy Corvette 32.853
SM Susan Seeno 1970 Chevy Nova 33.1
SM Willie Taitano 1965 Ford Cobra 33.229
SM James Fields 1974 Chevy Camaro 33.368
SM Jason Benson 1986 Buick T-Type 33.527
SM Penny Morika 1973 Chevy Camaro 33.748
SM Andrew Range 1995 Lincoln Towncar 33.835
SM Brian Ferranti 1970 Chevy Camaro 33.93
SM Michael Carter 1970 Chevy Chevelle 33.977
SM Tom Vansteya 2009 Pontiac GXP 34.067
SM Nate Smith 1993 Chevy Corvette 34.101
SM Dennis Molzakis 1969 Pontiac Firebird 34.17
SM Dan Bailey 2007 Jeep SRT8 34.243
SM Scott Costa 1964 Chevy Nova 34.252
SM Craig Johnson 1963 Ford Falcon 34.256
SM Scott Mallery 1969 Dodge RT 34.495
SM Joe Escobar 1974 Ford Pinto 34.733
SM Kevin Lyons 1992 Ford Mustang 34.783
SM Will Rosgen 1963 Mercury Meteor 34.969
SM Clare Malone 1999 Ford Muastang 35.278
SM Skyler Duke 1965 Ford Mustang 35.736
SM Robert Mullius 2010 Chevy HHR 36.052
SM Andrew Range 1971 Pontiac Grand Ville 36.76
SM Timothy Dickerson 1973 Pontiac Firebird 42.543

TRK Rob MacGregor 1969 Chevy C-10 30.616 PRO
TRK Mike Hickman 1968 Chevy C-10 31.522
TRK Kurt Grimes 1998 Chevy Tahoe 23.985
TRK Connor Phillips 2001 Dodge PU 35.34
TRK Daniel Bojas 1972 Chevy Elcamino 36.321

mikes70
06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Rodney, thanks again for the ride! My beast will be out there soon....Mike

Rod
06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Rodney, thanks again for the ride! My beast will be out there soon....Mike

anytime Mike, and hurry up get that car out there!!

bosses son
06-04-2012, 09:03 PM
looks like i picked the wrong day to show up! I missed all the excitement of every one's brushes with car death!

DartorDemon
06-04-2012, 10:41 PM
The pits were full of spectators checking out the competition. It does get a bit crowded and hard to manuever thru to and from the track.

I think that issue is because of the banners on the chain link fences. Which makes it so the pits are the only area to get a good view of the course.

class67
06-05-2012, 06:44 AM
I think that issue is because of the banners on the chain link fences. Which makes it so the pits are the only area to get a good view of the course.

Actually, there was a perfect view from the other side of the course, IN THE SHADE...

Danny72
06-05-2012, 07:43 AM
The first couple of years that the autox was offered at Good Guys, they were lucky to get ten show exhibitors total (other than the sponsors/vendors) to get off their lawnchairs and run their junk. Now, this is the most popular thing going and the event staff sometimes has to turn people away. As for this last weekend, I felt they got the cars moving and up to the line pretty quickly and the event was run very efficiently. There have been some events (read: Columbus for the SMOTY runs) where getting through the lineup seemed like it took days ...

Yes, the event space allowed can be small. Yes, there are barriers, trees, and fencing but as I told a regular autocrosser and friend who was a passenger, "I don't really see this stuff during a run." And the final yes is you do not nor should not drive 10/10ths at one of the Good Guys autocrosses. For those that have Solo experience and have run those types of events, they are almost completely different than what's offered here. The only similarity is there's timers, pavement, and pylons. It's up to each driver to know their abilities behind the wheel and while many think they can drive like Mike Maier, Brian Hobaugh, and Brian Finch, to name just a few of the Good Guys hotshoes, trying to do so in the close confinement of a Good Guys course may get not so good results. Of all the incidents I've witnessed first-hand, almost all have been due to the driver running out of talent.

Mary Pozzi

Wow. I didn't expect to get a response by the great Mary Pozzi. Haha I would expect people not wanting to put their show cars through the track. My dad has a camaro sitting in the garage and barely drives it and I always tell him to take it to the show but he never does. I told him i wanted to do autocross since the last time it was at Pleasanton. I fell in love right away. I don't see the barriers that much on the track either. It's scary now whenever I see or hear someone spin out cause I think the may hit the k wall. I'm just glad I got to drive. It's been a dream of mine for over a year and I'm definitely doing it for years to come.

Thanks still a work in progress.

Danny72
06-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Mary Pozzi

Wow. I didn't expect to get a response by the great Mary Pozzi. Haha I would expect people not wanting to put their show cars through the track. My dad has a camaro sitting in the garage and barely drives it and I always tell him to take it to the show but he never does. I told him i wanted to do autocross since the last time it was at Pleasanton. I fell in love right away. I don't see the barriers that much on the track either. It's scary now whenever I see or hear someone spin out cause I think the may hit the k wall. I'm just glad I got to drive. It's been a dream of mine for over a year and I'm definitely doing it for years to come.

Thanks still a work in progress.

67cougnut
06-05-2012, 10:55 AM
looks like i picked the wrong day to show up! I missed all the excitement of every one's brushes with car death!

I was really Digg'n your guys wagon out there! nice work!

starski
06-06-2012, 01:50 AM
I went I showed my 57 Chevy Wagon. Didn't bring the 68 Camaro though.

bosses son
06-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I went I showed my 57 Chevy Wagon. Didn't bring the 68 Camaro though.

We can make that 57 do everything your Camaro can! http://www.newmancarcreations.com/55-57-chevy/

bosses son
06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
I was really Digg'n your guys wagon out there! nice work!

Thanks,
that is a customers car that is going together. The thing is a blast to drive and the owner is LOVING these events. The fact that they can drive the car anywhere and be comfortable and then have it perform like it does is a blast. Now we just need some more of our customers to bring there toys out and play with us!

Rod
06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
We can make that 57 do everything your Camaro can! http://www.newmancarcreations.com/55-57-chevy/

WHAAATT!! Kyle you better fix my car then because I was the fastest first gen there, and I want to be a little faster!!! I will drop that car off on the way to the lake this weekend!! ;) ha ha ha ha