PDA

View Full Version : No Autocross in Puyallup ?

jonmc56
05-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi all, new to the forum... Also new to autocross, and got my 1st ride in Nashville with Tom Farrington. (Thanks Tom)

I live in the Pacific NW (Oregon), and looking at the Goodguys website, it looks like the Puyallup event does not include an autocross. Is that right? Anyone know why? Am I in the middle of the desert when it comes to autocross?

Thanks,
Jon

mpozzi
05-29-2012, 08:52 PM
It all comes down to space. Some of the event sites have the real estate to hold an autocross while others don't. That said, each year we get more and more fun with cones than the year before so that's good.

Mary Pozzi

Goodguy Ed
05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Jon,
The Puyallup Event is on the radar for 2013 to have an AutoCross. There are a few items needed to make it all work at our events and we need to make sure it all works before we move down that road as we want your experiance to be the best we can make it.

Thanks for your intrest and have fun at the event anyway.

Goodguy Ed

nicke
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Having been to the event many times, I can assure you it will be a blast. Can't wait to see the Autocross there though!

tommycomfort
05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Jon,
Great to see you show up on pro-touring.com! Hopefully GG's will get auto-x going in your neck of the woods next year. Until then you might want to check out your local SCCA. Not the same crowd usually, but a great way to get seat time and at least our guys love to see the muscle cars show up.
Tom

Hi all, new to the forum... Also new to autocross, and got my 1st ride in Nashville with Tom Farrington. (Thanks Tom)

I live in the Pacific NW (Oregon), and looking at the Goodguys website, it looks like the Puyallup event does not include an autocross. Is that right? Anyone know why? Am I in the middle of the desert when it comes to autocross?

Thanks,
Jon

jonmc56
05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks all for the background and suggestions. Ed - I don't know if you guys use volunteers, but I'm willing to help if volunteer help would be useful in making it happen. Tom, thanks for the SCCA suggestion, looks like they do have some events at PIR (Portland Intl Raceway) and in Packwood, WA, which isn't too far.

Appreciate the helpful replies.

Jon

Mingus
06-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Hi Jon,
I haven't been to Packwood yet, but I definitely want to go. It is supposed to be awesome. The autocrosses I've gone to in the NW are Tri-Cities WA, Eugene OR and Salem OR. One thing I've noticed from looking at videos of the Goodguys autox courses (haven't seen one in person because like you said Puyallup doesn't have one) is how short (usually 30 seconds or less) and tight (usually some kind of figure 8) they are because there is no space. The Tri-Cities is a cool place to run because they usually have a 1 1/2 to 2 minute course and you get 4 or 5 runs.
The main thing is to have fun and not take it too seriously. You are after all trying to not kill cones in a parking lot. If you go to a "regular" autocross unless you have a great PT car and are a great driver (like Mary Pozzi) you'll be getting your ass handed to you by 'Vettes (especially Z06's), WRX's and those damned Miatas. I don't ever worry about being fast time (even in my class) and just try to improve each run.
We do seem to be in the desert here in the NW when it comes to PT. All of the autocrosses I've done with my Cutlass (about a dozen) I've been the only PT car there. Everyone loves it and is surprised how well it does. I'm usually in the middle of the field in the street tire class, which I'm happy with considering I've got a bone stock 350 Olds with an auto and way too hard (420 tread wear) all season tires (it's a driver and this is the NW after all). The "Stick, You Bitch!!!!!!" sticker helps (thanks Mary :-), but I really want to put some sticky tires on it and see what it can do. I'll probably wait until I wear these ones out. It won't probably ever be competitive, but it is a blast and to me that's the whole point.

jonmc56
06-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and info Mike! If you make plans to go to a PT event nearby I'd like to hear about it so I can check it out. Good to hear that there are at least 2 of us with interest in PT in the PNW.

Best regards,

Jon