PDA

View Full Version : 65 Malibu SS convertible

derekf
05-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Ok, between the new job hours and the wife's incessant nagging about it (and the wonderful kid who thought that he didn't really need to stop until after he hit my DD) I need to dump one of the projects. The Chevelle has been chosen.

It's a 65, true SS (138 vin). Originally equipped with a 327/M20, manual everything. Original color is the rare "Evening Orchid Metallic" with white top and white interior.

This was a barn find - I pulled it out of a chicken coop south of Dallas. At some point it had been stolen and they'd taken the engine and tranny, and when recovered the owner never put a new engine in it. I've replaced the floors, quarters, and trunk. I've reworked the stock suspension, replaced all the body bushings, and painted the undercarriage and the frame. New heater core, new seals in the heater box, new brake lines and hoses.

I have *most* of the parts. I'm sure there's some missing trim (like the lower quarter trim) and in the interior it's missing the rear seat bottom and the console. As it sits, it's just a shell with the rest of the parts included but not attached. I've got all the glass.

Included are all the parts for the car that I have - full body, plus an extra fender - and a complete 396 (65 impala 2-bolt main block, built to L35 specs, about 5k miles on the engine since rebuild, new clutch) and most of an M-20 (needs rebuild kit and rebuilding). Wiring-wise, I've got the Painless 67 Camaro kit which per their support folks would work just fine for this. Rear in the car is a 3.08:1 12 bolt open diff. Brakes are factory drums all around.

I've got pretty close to all the parts needed to make it a driveable car, which was my plan, but with no free time it just sits in the driveway and gets rained on.

Here's what it looked like in 2009:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/09070506-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/09052908-1.jpg
It looks pretty much the same right now, which I suppose does make the wife's demands more reasonable.

So - I'm thinking to post this on craigslist but I don't know what to price it at. What do you think?

67 ls1 vert
05-18-2012, 06:51 PM
I think it would be in your best interest to install the front clip and set the engine in it.
Makes it look more complete. People like that. Good luck with the sale.